Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I move to Calgary or Somewhere Else??

Options
  • 16-05-2014 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hey. I,m trying to decide on where to live when I move to Canada. I have been hearing good things about Calgary.

It is a warmer place than other cities in Canada and it seems to be topping most of the best places to live in Canada at the moment. Unemployment is at 4% and economic growth has risen 10% in the last couple of years.

Does anybody know what kind of work is most available there and its surrounding areas?

I work in the Hospitality Industry so I will be planning to work in Hotels when I go over?? Does anybody have similar plans to move to Calgary or is anybody living there now who can fill me in on what makes it a great place to live or maybe a not so great place to live?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ryandave3006

Hi David, I'm currently in Calgary working in the construction industry even though I've no recognised trade. For a trades person there is lots of opportunities in Calgary and the Alberta region as a whole, however from my experience so far any other occupation starting wage (i.e) seem to be in line with back home and even worse, bartenders and servers rely mostly on tips over here to bring there wages up. Calgary as a city is nice with lots of parks etc but the city suffers from Urban sprawl meaning that apart from the general downtown and city centre region everything is spread out. So a car is a near necessity unless you are living downtown or close to a LRT station. If its a vibrant nightlife culture that you are looking for then Calgary is pretty dead on that front and not like Vancouver or Toronto. However Calgary is only a hour from the rockies and the spectacular Banff National park which is a must see. In Banff there is lots of hospitality work and they places seems to be hiring at the moment as its coming into the summer, however cost of living is costly there and wages are bad. I'm in Calgary now a few months and to be honest its good for work but nothing really else, But as I said thats just my opinion. What area of hospitality are you involved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DAVIDDOLAN

I,m willing to work in any area of Hospitality. I am soon to complete a 2 year course in Arts in Hospitality Studies so im hoping that if I have a qualification that will be more of an advantage in getting work over there. Most likely I will be working as a server though and I am looking for Hotel Work more than say a Restaurant. I would be willing to work in Construction if I wasent able to find work in Hotels.

I am not interested in the night life as much as im interested in the work. Iv done the backpacker thing in Australia and New Zealand and now im just looking to work. Can you tell me anything about the cost of living there and where would be the best place to live. Iv heard good things about Inglewood??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

DAVIDDOLAN wrote: »
    Hey. I,m trying to decide on where to live when I move to Canada. I have been hearing good things about Calgary.

It is a warmer place than other cities in Canada and it seems to be topping most of the best places to live in Canada at the moment. Unemployment is at 4% and economic growth has risen 10% in the last couple of years.

Does anybody know what kind of work is most available there and its surrounding areas?

I work in the Hospitality Industry so I will be planning to work in Hotels when I go over?? Does anybody have similar plans to move to Calgary or is anybody living there now who can fill me in on what makes it a great place to live or maybe a not so great place to live?

Not sure if I agree that it's warmer than other places in Canada. This past winter was pretty bad. Calgary gets colder temperatures than Toronto, Montreal etc but usually not as much snow.
    Inglewood looks like a nice area but it's a bit outside downtown and no LRT link.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 39 james182

Why not Vancouver? It;s beautiful and there's lots of jobs in hospitality- it also enjoys the mildest climate in Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ryandave3006

Hi James182, are you currently in Vancouver at the moment, Im in Calgary but considering a change after the stampede is over in mid July. I keep hearing that there is little work out there so thats kinda putting me off from going over there, however I would work at anything to pay the bills etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 james182

Heya, yep I'm in Vancouver. You can't go wrong with hospitality - I worked as a bartender (Marriott Hotel for $25 per hour), in banquets (HI for $17) and pretty much every hotel I applied for called me back. Thats not something I enjoy doing but just proves my point that there's lots of jobs in hospitality. Maybe wait till September when it;s a busy season.

Advertisement