Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a USB port

Options
  • 16-05-2014 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭

Might sound daft but I fell in love with this floor lamp complete with shelves and usb port. It's such a brilliant idea.

There is no way I could afford a designer piece but I was wondering if I found something similar could an electrician fit a usb to it. Better still, if anyone knew someone to make the entire thing that would be brilliant

Screen-shot-2013-11-09-at-10.00.58-PM.png

Comments

You can get these do-fers nowadays.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRN6JqkMT9xN5WWarSHKwdCJS7lMZpjNhWTIceZPePASX2dSNvb

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It may be possible to buy one of these units:

Product-200567105039-l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Shouldn't be that hard to fix something together.

Get a USB wall charger, crack it open and splice the mains wires into the lamp wire. This means the charger is always on, even if the lamp isn't switched on.

Cut off the micro USB plug and replace it with a USB socket like the one pictured above and then fix the socket into the lamp base.

Easy peasy. Might have a go of it myself actually.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This means the charger is always on, even if the lamp isn't switched on.

This does not matter, as it is under no load conditions the power drawn would be minuscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

We could be onto something here. One of you can do the electrics, I'll get the lamps and shades - we could make a fortune :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    This does not matter, as it is under no load conditions the power drawn would be minuscule.

I think he was mentioning it always being on, as an advantage, as in its on even if the light is switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

IMHO a lamp mounted USB is a solution looking for a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Cerco wrote: »
    IMHO a lamp mounted USB is a solution looking for a problem.

For charging your kindle while reading?

I'd love a USB port built in to my arm chair. Be handy for charging my phone. Especially since I use my phone as a TV remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

syklops wrote: »
    For charging your kindle while reading?

I'd love a USB port built in to my arm chair. Be handy for charging my phone. Especially since I use my phone as a TV remote.

Ah well I guess I am old fashioned. I like to use a wall charger for USB and a phone for making calls. I have a myriad of remotes for TV, satellite, DVD, VCR etc I think the less complication the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Cerco wrote: »
    Ah well I guess I am old fashioned. I like to use a wall charger for USB and a phone for making calls. I have a myriad of remotes for TV, satellite, DVD, VCR etc I think the less complication the better.

I use the phone for doing the lights and heating. Hardly ever make calls:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement