Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin Edge 500 problem

• 16-05-2014 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭

I was out for a short spin this evening. Lovely warm sunny evening!!

At about 26km my Edge 500 auto paused while I was cycling along.
    Got off bike to check that speed cadence sensor was intact and it was. Spun back wheel but no speed registered on device.

Continued with cycle. The distance reading did not start to increase until I cycled for another 2+ km. It then recorded the distance data until I reached home. No speed readings displayed either during that 2km but my cadence reading did. This means it wasn't a dead battery in the cadence meter.

So when I got home I uploaded the data to Garmin Connect first. It shows that I cycled 28.11km when the actual distance was 33.1km. I then uploaded the .fit file to Strava and Strava shows correct 33.1km ridden

Two questions:
    1.Has anyone seen their Garmin behave like this....Just auto pause for no reason and not restart
    2. Why does Garmin connect show incorrect 28.11km cycled but Strava show 33.1km cycled. Info for both sites coming from the same .fit file

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

my garmin 500 did exactly that yesterday evening, auto-paused while moving, though mine started up again about 8 seconds later.. first time it happened. weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

My Edge 800 shut down yesterday mid-ride for the first time ever. What the hell? Solar storm or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Alek wrote: »
    My Edge 800 shut down yesterday mid-ride for the first time ever. What the hell? Solar storm or what?
    Mine did that during the week. I thought I had t setup to switch of under 10kph. (Don't laugh I was climbing 16%)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My autopause comes on occasionally mid ride but usually starts again in a couple of seconds.
    G1032 wrote: »
    ... It shows that I cycled 28.11km when the actual distance was 33.1km...
    Recently, following a 200km ride, I went to upload to Strava and it said 'no new activities' even though it worked fine during the ride. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mpmb1

guys, what was the fix for the garmin 500 that auto paused in the middle of cycling along?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

The 500 (800 too,presumably) needs a 'good' satellite signal to record. If the section where you 'lost' the ride was heavily wooded, then it may simply be that the density of overhead foliage is blocking the up-link and when you come back out into clear sky it picks it up again. It happens regularly enough on my routes.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭G1032

mpmb1 wrote: »
    guys, what was the fix for the garmin 500 that auto paused in the middle of cycling along?

It happened me again on Saturday last. I got a puncture on my back tyre and replaced the tube. It was when I put the wheel back on that the Garmin started to act up. Continuous autopause. Turned the garmin on and off 3 times and still couldn't get it to work correctly. I just turned it off completely for rest of cycle home.
    Did a quick google when I got home from the cycle. Lots of people with the same issue and the most commonly posted fix was to make sure the wheel magnet was correctly positioned.
    Mine looked OK but I repositioned it anyway. I positioned it so that the edge of the magnet lines up with the edge of the cadence sensor arm. I then pressed the reset button on the GSC 10 and it's been working perfectly since (200km+).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Check your back wheel? This happened to me over the past few weeks and I noticed it had a bit of a pattern. Cruising along at 30 not an issue. Put the foot down and put some torque through the wheel and it happened. Fast descent it happened constantly. Turns out I'd a bearing issue on the back wheel that caused side to side movement which resulted in the spoke magnet moving slightly out of range of the arm. Can also happen if the magnet or sensor has moved even a mm due to natural bumpage of cycling. Check the sensor and alignment and if all's good check your back wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Hi folks

New question on the Garmin Edge 500. I just put the cadence sensor on the bike and put the medal magnet on the crank and the cadences appears to be working fine.

So my question is what's the purpose of putting the magnet on the spoke and if I don't, does it messes up my cadence reading? Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Hi folks

New question on the Garmin Edge 500. I just put the cadence sensor on the bike and put the medal magnet on the crank and the cadences appears to be working fine.

So my question is what's the purpose of putting the magnet on the spoke and if I don't, does it messes up my cadence reading? Any advice appreciated.

It's not a cadence sensor, it's a speed/cadence sensor. You put one magnet on the crank (cadence) and a magnet on the wheel (speed).

When the edge 500 detects the sensor, it uses the sensor to measure speed instead of GPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

This has happened to me a few times over the years and it always seems to be a problem with magnet on the spoke not correctly lining up with the cadence/speed sensor. Never happens when I use the 500 on my race bike as I've no Cadence/speed sensor on it.

Advertisement