Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why can't I lose weight??

• 16-05-2014 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

I have literally lost no weight in the last six weeks despite eating between 1200 and 1800 per day, usually around 1500. I have a 12week old baby and am exclusively breastfeeding. I am 170cm and weigh 72kg.

Typical day would be

Homemade granola
    2T low fat pouring yogurt
    Blueberries

Banana with 2T peanut butter

Tuna salad with tomato, sweet corn, peppers, parsley, 2t mayonnaise
    Or
    3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil with spinach

Apple or pear

Family dinner minus carbs eg meat and roast veg, bolognese sauce, lentil based soup

My issue is that I eat reasonably well and avoid processed food like poison. The only processed thing that I would eat regularly would be salami and that's made by a local butcher from real ingredients and I'd eat it less than once a week. But I have a weakness for cakes and biscuits and I am (if I may say so myself) a great baker. I've had a few cake/chocolate binges in this time but overall at a calorie deficit. No chance of avoiding baking/having sweet things in the house because of my family. My oh eats crap all the time and does vast amounts of exercise. I used to exercise a lot more than I do now but with a small baby I don't have time or energy for more than two cardio sessions and a long walk carrying baby per week.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Rosy, go easy on yourself. You have a lovely 12 week baby, enjoy your time with him/her and don't be worrying about a little weight.
    Your body at any time is governed by hormones, that's particularly the case now. Don't fight it so much. It'll come in time.
    You have enough stress in your life without worrying about weight.
    All the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

ford2600 wrote: »
    Rosy, go easy on yourself. You have a lovely 12 week baby, enjoy your time with him/her and don't be worrying about a little weight.
    Your body at any time is governed by hormones, that's particularly the case now. Don't fight it so much. It'll come in time.
    You have enough stress in your life without worrying about weight.
    All the best

This I know but I am 12kg heavier than when I started having babies eight years ago and have a few events coming up this summer, as well as a mil who is very pass remarkable about body shape :/. I would really like to at least get to a 'normal' bmi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    I have a 12week old baby and am exclusively breastfeeding.

Good for you and baby :)

Really you shouldn't be worrying about anything else. Not about your calorie intake, not about your weight and not about what anybody else thinks / says about you. Not at this stage of your life. Eat well, don't eat (much) junk or processed foods until you've finished breastfeeding

Then after that if you want to lose weight, increase the calories you burn and / or decrease the calories you eat (and start counting the calories properly ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

It takes nine months to grow a baby in your body.................therefore give at least nine for your body to recover.

I also breastfed my baby but only lasted 7/8 weeks.............well done you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    This I know but I am 12kg heavier than when I started having babies eight years ago and have a few events coming up this summer, as well as a mil who is very pass remarkable about body shape :/. I would really like to at least get to a 'normal' bmi.

Give mil baby to mind, you can enjoy yourself and relax, mil will be too busy to be pass remarkable - easier said than done - I know from experience!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

As a breastfeeding mother I'd suggest you keep your diet as clean as you can, eat to fullness but don't restrict your calories. Keep the cakes etc to a minimum but dont cut them out. Whenever you decide to have a cake or bar of chocolate etc enjoy it. You deserve it! Your body is working overtime to make milk for your baby. Your hormones are about to take a serious dip and you're going to feel really tired and rundown. Well this is what happened to me on both babies around 12 weeks. This is when you need to have a good, nutritionally balanced diet which isn't calorie restricted.

Also the weight loss with breastfeeding happens between 3-6 months. The weight melted off me at this time on my daughter. It didn't with my son, my first baby, because I was eating too much crap.

But keep the motto of 9 months on/9 months off in mind. It's very true.

Advertisement