Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anyone identify whats around the roots of my laurels

• 16-05-2014 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

hi i am wondering if someone with a bit more know than me can tell me what is growing around the base of my laurel hedge,the hedge went down last july/august and i noticed this growth in all the pots (300)but i didnt think much of it because i know nothing about it ,plants were sown 500mm apart and now this growth has all the clay around the hedge covered not just at the base of the trees ,the clay is good dark dry clay and the lawn was only put down a month before the hedge so the soil is not compacted we had to bring in about 100 dump trailers of clay so there is also good depth under the hedge ,i started weeding yesterday and this layer of growth is about 1" thick so i have taken that inch off fully ,hopefully that will get rid but ive only 40 meters done and 120 to go what do ye think ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

looks like liverwort/algae;

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=412

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭czgalway

fair play to ya ,read that its no real harm just looks dire good man il stay taking it out anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its not particularly harmful, but it does mean the soil is not in great condition. You could damage the shrubs by digging too enthusiastically, if you just scrape the surface to break it up, and feed, then add a bit of mulch of something to improve the soil and drainage you should be ok.

Advertisement