Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which 1911 22lr - Sig Sauer or Colt/Walther?

Options
  • 16-05-2014 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience with the Sig Sauer 22LR 1911 or the Colt Government 1911 A1 in 22lr?

Normally, I would chose the Colt. However, this "Colt" appears to be a Walther, licensed by Colt. After the P22, I have lost a bit of faith in Walther's 22.

Has anyone tried eiother? Any good points? Horror Stories?

Sig Sauer 22lr
    Sig-Sauer-1911-22-191122B-798681429257.jpg.jpg
    Colt's
    Colt-Firearms-Colt-Government-1911-A1-5170304-723364200854.jpg.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

FISMA wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience with the Sig Sauer 22LR 1911 or the Colt Government 1911 A1 in 22lr?

Normally, I would chose the Colt. However, this "Colt" appears to be a Walther, licensed by Colt. After the P22, I have lost a bit of faith in Walther's 22.

Has anyone tried eiother? Any good points? Horror Stories?

Sig Sauer 22lr
    Sig-Sauer-1911-22-191122B-798681429257.jpg.jpg
    Colt's
    Colt-Firearms-Colt-Government-1911-A1-5170304-723364200854.jpg.jpg

Sig is the way to go,quality reliability,fired many of them in different calibers, i love the original 1911 but like you said possible a colt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

The sig is made by gsg the colt umerex off the top of my head, I would buy a kimber super if i were going to get one. And i was until i decided to move. I would rather a proper frame rather than a zinc alloy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

I had a colt/umarex version. It shot way low with regard to the non adjustable (for elevation) sights and it jammed at least once every two/three mags. Accuracy was alright for arsing around, but nothing close to a proper target pistol.

I have no experience with the sig/gsg version.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

Stay away from the colt if your looking for a target pistol I had one for about 3 months and got rid of it. The trigger is terrible and the sights were way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Hi,
    I've been shooting the GSG (same manufacture as the Sig I believe).

Its a great gun. however a few things to think about. (and I knew about these issues before I purchased)

The finish on the slide - on the GSG, so presumably the sig as well, is poor. it shows wear marks very early in it's life. the lower receiver is fine, hardly a mark on mine. But from shooting it every week since I got it it started to look old (refinishing is an option).

The next issue I have (and everyone else that has one whether they realise it or not) is the take down includes a screw. This screw hold the barrel in the lower receiver. after about 50-100 rounds this screw works its self loose. this causes the barrel to align differently on every cycle of the slide. so the accuracy goes to hell in a hand bag pretty quick.

The solution is to use a low strength thread lock after cleaning the gun. My bottle takes about 30-40 minute to cure. Since using it i have never had the barrel screw loosen and it does not cause the screw to 'glue' itself in. Be careful though make sure its low strength.

These two points being made - the barrel is of thicker material than the colts, the gun will rarely jam or miss feed (compared to the colt I'm told).
    It will shoot just about anything you put into it (one notable exception was a box or Remington something or other - miss feed every single round nearly).
    It will shoot sub sonics and the accuracy will dramatically improve if you do use subs.

Hope this helps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

dc99 wrote: »
    Hi,
    The solution is to use a low strength thread lock after cleaning the gun. My bottle takes about 30-40 minute to cure

LOCTITE threadlocker PURPLE is what you need.Its a non regular threadlocker and usually need to order it from your autoparts/machine shop supplier.

On the GSG 1911,be praoably preparded for a fight with your Super about this.They are in this nonsensical "its a combat style pistol" mode and therefore its restricted and cant be liscensed because police forces in the USA use[like who exactly?and which one of over five thousand different Federal,national,local,sheriffs depts or other law enforcement branches are toting a 103 year old design pistol with seven shots??]

Also what revelance is it to us in Ireland as to what LEO carry in the USA in a decision to grant a liscense for an unrestricted 5 shot .22 in Ireland??Unless we became the 51st state of the Union recently?

What The Fruk.com type of a reasoning is that????????? Nor is it designed for "Olympic use "so its not liscenseable either.So now!

THIS is the abbreviated reply I got back from my local Superintedant in Limerick as to why he wont consider liscensing a .22 GSG that is not even in the State yet and is being imported with a five round mag...

AGS and firearms knowledge ,I swear to God.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

My advice would be to buy neither. They are fun to shoot but they don't cut it when it comes to target shooting. They just aren't accurate enough in my opinion.

A much better option might be a S&W 22a, Hammerli Xesse, Buckmark, or Ruger. All of these will outshoot both the Colt and the Sig.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    LOCTITE threadlocker PURPLE is what you need.Its a non regular threadlocker and usually need to order it from your autoparts/machine shop supplier.

On the GSG 1911,be praoably preparded for a fight with your Super about this.They are in this nonsensical "its a combat style pistol" mode and therefore its restricted and cant be liscensed because police forces in the USA use[like who exactly?and which one of over five thousand different Federal,national,local,sheriffs depts or other law enforcement branches are toting a 103 year old design pistol with seven shots??]

Also what revelance is it to us in Ireland as to what LEO carry in the USA in a decision to grant a liscense for an unrestricted 5 shot .22 in Ireland??Unless we became the 51st state of the Union recently?

What The Fruk.com type of a reasoning is that????????? Nor is it designed for "Olympic use "so its not liscenseable either.So now!

THIS is the abbreviated reply I got back from my local Superintedant in Limerick as to why he wont consider liscensing a .22 GSG that is not even in the State yet and is being imported with a five round mag...

AGS and firearms knowledge ,I swear to God.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well... They are more dangerous than any pistol on "the list"... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

you could buy it and prob get refused as expected....like i did..
    but you could then jump onto the list of people that the Nargc is sending to William Eagan and go have it heard in the High court.. this is happening..
    im stuck in the District court at the mo..but hoping for a good outcome..i missed the boat for the high court but if the DC refuses me i am reapplying so as to head into the high court also..

also ive been told that there are two types of Colts and the gov is the better of the two i was told also that it was better than the gsg..i still bought a gsg.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

bravestar wrote: »
    I had a colt/umarex version. It shot way low with regard to the non adjustable (for elevation) sights and it jammed at least once every two/three mags. Accuracy was alright for arsing around, but nothing close to a proper target pistol.

I have no experience with the sig/gsg version.

Are you using low velocity ammo? Did you try changing the spring slide?
    On the .22 Mosquito I have, I used to get a lot of "stove piping". I canged to high velocity mini mags and I changed the spring on the slide to a stronger tension and it was perfect (even on the Mosquito!).

• Advertisement

knockon wrote: »
    Are you using low velocity ammo? Did you try changing the spring slide?
    On the .22 Mosquito I have, I used to get a lot of "stove piping". I canged to high velocity mini mags and I changed the spring on the slide to a stronger tension and it was perfect (even on the Mosquito!).

In fairness it rarely jammed with mini mags but the federal bulk pack caused major issues. I never tried changing the recoil spring and don't have the gun anymore. Glad to hear there is a workaround :)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭irishairsoft1

sorry this is abit off topic but what would be better for target shooting, the gsg 1911 or the s and w 617?
    which one would be cheaper and better for value??
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

sorry this is abit off topic but what would be better for target shooting, the gsg 1911 or the s and w 617?
    thanks

The gsg is a pot metal plinker. the 617 is beautifully made out of proper heat treated steels and will last several lifetimes. Handle each and the gsg will feel like a toy in comparison to the smith.

thanks

The 617 is a much better made gun but it's a revolver. It might not be suitable for some types of competitions. It all depends on what type of shooting that you want to do.

I'm guessing from your username that you are here in Ireland. If you are, you will have to plug the cylinder to only take 5 rounds. You'd be goosed in lots of competitions as most have shooting strings of 6 rounds.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

rowa wrote: »
    The gsg is a pot metal plinker. the 617 is beautifully made out of proper heat treated steels and will last several lifetimes. Handle each and the gsg will feel like a toy in comparison to the smith.

+1
    The GSG is a toy "wannabe" pistol that pretends to be something that it is not.
    For this reason it reminds me of the disappointing Sig Mosquito.

At the other end of the spectrum is the 617, beautifully made, great trigger right out of the box, accurate and 100% reliable.
    The only change that I would make to this excellent revolver is the grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Had a P22 with no problems, cleaned it and used the right ammo.
    Had a Mosquito, used the right ammo and cleaned it, no problems, the only fault with both if these was accuracy, not a prayer at 25 meters.
    Now have a GSG 1911, upgraded rear sights, gsg pro spring snd slide, with hogue grips & guess what , right ammo and clean it, and its as good as the shooter.
    Lots of bull sh*t about hammerlies etc, the gun wont and cant make up for a poor shooter, bad workmen always blame the tools, spending lots of money on pistol wont make u any better than a plinker, buy what you fancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭irishairsoft1

i seen you had a gsg for sale there a while ago and do you mind me asking was it expensive to import in?

i seen you had a gsg for sale there a while ago and do you mind me asking was it expensive to import in?

It is an Irish pistol, its not an import.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Still for sale??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Had a P22 with no problems, cleaned it and used the right ammo.
    Had a Mosquito, used the right ammo and cleaned it, no problems, the only fault with both if these was accuracy, not a prayer at 25 meters.

"No problems" :confused:
    Yet they can't hit a barn door at 25m :eek:
    Now have a GSG 1911, upgraded rear sights, gsg pro spring snd slide, with hogue grips & guess what , right ammo and clean it, and its as good as the shooter.
    Lots of bull sh*t about hammerlies etc, the gun wont and cant make up for a poor shooter, bad workmen always blame the tools, spending lots of money on pistol wont make u any better than a plinker, buy what you fancy!

A Hammerlie and GSG are like chalk and cheese.
    Regardless of a shooters ability there is no point in owning an inaccurate target firearm regardless of how "cool" it looks.

• Advertisement

Agreed, a poor shooter will be sh1te with whatever pistol they use but if you are serious about improving and becoming a good shooter, you need an accurate gun to achieve consistency.

Most guns are accurate at 10m but it's at 25m where they separate the men from the boys. If your pistol is all over the place at 25m, then what's the point.

"Yet they can't hit a barn door at 25m"

Who said that ?

A Hammerlie and GSG are like chalk and cheese
    Regardless of a shooters ability there is no point in owning an inaccurate target firearm regardless of how "cool" it looks.

The GSG is not an inaccurate pistol if it is set up right , use the right ammo & service it well.

You will also note I am not slagging off other peoples choices or budgets :)

"Yet they can't hit a barn door at 25m"

Who said that ?

Me.

The P22 and the Sig Mosquito are well known to be low quality and inaccurate at this range.
    As you have said yourself "not a prayer at 25 meters".
    The GSG is not an inaccurate pistol if it is set up right , use the right ammo & service it well.

Compared to a Hammerlie or 617 at 25m?
    I don't agree.
    You will also note I am not slagging off other peoples choices or budgets :)

Consider it noted :)
    Apologies if my comments are offensive, but they are based on experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I am not looking to buy a dedicated proper target pistol. Rather, something for putting holes in paper for fun and general plinking merriment.

I just thought I would ask about the guns' reputations as last time I did not. I thought Walther's name on a firearm was good enough...

Thanks for all of the info everyone. It is always good to hear real life experiences.

FISMA wrote: »
    I thought Walther's name on a firearm was good enough...
    No.
    Walther make some high quality firearms but the P22 isn't one of them.

If I lived in the US I would but a "real" 1911 in .45 S & W

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

2011 wrote: »
    No.
    Walther make some high quality firearms but the P22 isn't one of them.

If I lived in the US I would but a "real" 1911 in .45 S & W

45 S&W? unsure of that caliber, I know a 45ACP and a 40S&W!

harmoniums wrote: »
    45 S&W? unsure of that caliber, I know a 45ACP and a 40S&W!

.45 S&W AKA .45 Schofield. It's out there alright but I'd put money on him meaning .45ACP ;)

bravestar wrote: »
    .45 S&W AKA .45 Schofield. It's out there alright but I'd put money on him meaning .45ACP ;)

Correct.
    My bad, I thought of all of the cool calibers that are so easily obtained in the US that I lost the run of myself :)

Advertisement