Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics dilemma

• 16-05-2014 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

I only picked physics up this year and obviously don't have time to revise the full course, I really hate mechanics and I'm good enough at electricity, particle physics optics etc. would I be risking it if I don't do mechanics but I do the mechanics experiments?? I'm not looking for a very high grade maybe a C1/2. Any advice would be very welcome, also please don't judge saying I should do the whole course because I can't.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

ejayy wrote: »
    I only picked physics up this year and obviously don't have time to revise the full course, I really hate mechanics and I'm good enough at electricity, particle physics optics etc. would I be risking it if I don't do mechanics but I do the mechanics experiments?? I'm not looking for a very high grade maybe a C1/2. Any advice would be very welcome, also please don't judge saying I should do the whole course because I can't.

I'm aiming for an A1 and only about a month ago I decided to forget about mechanics. Its not needed. Have a basic understanding for Q5. There will be a long question (Q6) and 1/4 of the sections in Q12 will be mechanics. So really you're not missing much. Looking back I wish I'd never wasted my time doing it since the long questions on it are always so touch and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

FatRat wrote: »
    I'm aiming for an A1 and only about a month ago I decided to forget about mechanics. Its not needed. Have a basic understanding for Q5. There will be a long question (Q6) and 1/4 of the sections in Q12 will be mechanics. So really you're not missing much. Looking back I wish I'd never wasted my time doing it since the long questions on it are always so touch and go.

Thank god, I'm useless at it!!! Is waves, vibrations and sound super important?

Thank god, I'm useless at it!!! Is waves, vibrations and sound super important?

I think new age physics is more important. I'd definitely prioritise the electron, nuclear physics and the option. After that sound, heat and light (including optics) fall under a category, as in there will probably be 2 full questions involving them. There is always an electricity question along with a part in q12.

Basically just be prepared for Q5, Q12 and the option Q10. If you're good at electricity do that question too. You've only 1 question left to do after that. i.e. you should have a nice choice between a heat question or electron question or whatever comes up. Fair enough Q12 might be difficult with only 3/4 options to chose from but the layout of the test really is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

FatRat wrote: »
    I think new age physics is more important. I'd definitely prioritise the electron, nuclear physics and the option. After that sound, heat and light (including optics) fall under a category, as in there will probably be 2 full questions involving them. There is always an electricity question along with a part in q12.

Basically just be prepared for Q5, Q12 and the option Q10. If you're good at electricity do that question too. You've only 1 question left to do after that. i.e. you should have a nice choice between a heat question or electron question or whatever comes up. Fair enough Q12 might be difficult with only 3/4 options to chose from but the layout of the test really is that simple.

I like new age physics as I do chemistry and it ties in together!

Thank you so much for your input I really appreciate it! I hope you get your A1 :)
    What you hoping of doing?:)

I like new age physics as I do chemistry and it ties in together!

Thank you so much for your input I really appreciate it! I hope you get your A1 :)
    What you hoping of doing?:)

No problem! MSISS in trinity hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I think you guys are complacent to so willing ignore Mechanics. Just my tuppence :p

I think you guys are complacent to so willing ignore Mechanics. Just my tuppence :p

€50 I'll still get an A1 without it

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

what areas of the physics course should i focus on i am doing OL and looking for A or high B ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Dont ignore mechanics. If you are to cut out some of it ignore circular motion and focus on shm and the other bits like newtons laws

Advertisement