Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm considering moving to the UK in two years.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I have heard that Brighton is good laugh with a great buzz. Admittedly I have never been.

Most seaside resorts in the UK are complete and utter kips but Brighton is close enough (and expensive)to London to attract the right buzz. A thriving gay artsy community...which is always a good sign for a town.

Spot on. They've a bit too enthusiastic about the Greens though. Traffic is terribly congested and getting a parking permit takes a year. They voted in the only Green MP in the country (Caroline Lucas).

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Long Gone wrote: »
    I wouldn't dream of living in a isolated backwater like Bristol - (particularly not St. Pauls..... !)

Bristol an isolated backwater :confused:

Rail connections all over the UK, one of the busiest airports in the country, an unemployment rate of circa 4%, recognized as one the best cities in the UK to live in, all the big finance firms have a base here not to mention the IT/Media sector, home of British aviation etc...

I've lived in a few cities and I can tell you this is a good city to live in. The city is booming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

What about Edinburgh ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Please remember that this thread is a request for advice and helpful suggestions. You don't have to agree with other suggestions, but you do have to be civil and constructive in your posts. Neither backseat moderation nor uncivil/argumentative posts will be tolerated.

If you see a problematic post, please press the report button (report.gif) to notify the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

What else could I do?
    Set up a comprehensive Linkedin profile. They seem to love it over here. Jobs are also advertised.

Bingo! LinkedIn is an incredible tool for finding jobs, absolutely brilliant and I can't recommend it enough.

Learn how to use it effectively though.

1. Set up a profile that has keywords related to the jobs you want. Make sure you list the languages you've learned and any CMS you have used. Link to examples of your work. Make sure there are no typos in your profile page (treat it like a CV).
    2. Join groups related to the field of work you are interested in. Most groups have a jobs board but that's not the only way to find jobs. Start posting in those groups, either with questions or with answers to questions (WARNING: Don't bullsh1t any answers - you will be called on it and if any recruiters are reading the threads, they are less likely to start calling you).
    3. There are general jobs advertised on LinkedIn that you can search through too but don't forget about the jobs in the groups as well.
    4. Link up with Recruiters because they often post their latest vacancies in their feed and that will show up on your newsfeed as soon as it's posted. Don't worry about them not accepting your request to connect. You could have the name Joseph Stalin, Pol Pot, Che Guevara, Adolf Hitler or Atilla the Hun and they would connect with you :pac:

How will it help?
    Recruiters LOVE LinkedIn, it's a massive database of potential talent and the mine it and milk it constantly.
    Employers love it, when I was recruiting people to my team (medical writing) I was constantly using LinkedIn to find decent talent.

It's very possible to get a job without using LinkedIn but definitely invest the time because it's another angle that has plenty of decent advantages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I would echo the Linkedin advice, I get tons of job opportunities through there.

If you work in IT then London is the place to be, you will never be out of work and there is huge potential for career advancement. Might be worth setting up your own company and giving contracting a go once you get here, lots of money to be made if you can handle the risk of suddenly being out of work!

The government are trying to push Birmingham as a new hub for IT start-ups to compete with Old Street/Shoreditch. Personally I dont work in that sector, I stay with the big corporates as work is easy to come by, conditions are good and money is good. IF you go down the start-up route then it may be a nicer working environment, more potential or big success but work is likely harder to come by and money wont be anywhere near as good in the short term.

I have been to Bristol quite a lot as a bank I used to work for had a big presence down there. I quite liked it but I wouldn't recommend it as a first stab at the UK purely from an employment perspective. I have managed to avoid moving out to the home counties, it has been touch and go recently as I have to move but I couldn't drag myself away from London just yet. If I want to buy a house then unfortunately moving out is my only option in the long run unless the London Housing Market crashes suddenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Playboy wrote: »
    I would echo the Linkedin advice, I get tons of job opportunities through there.

If you work in IT then London is the place to be, you will never be out of work and there is huge potential for career advancement. Might be worth setting up your own company and giving contracting a go once you get here, lots of money to be made if you can handle the risk of suddenly being out of work!

The government are trying to push Birmingham as a new hub for IT start-ups to compete with Old Street/Shoreditch. Personally I dont work in that sector, I stay with the big corporates as work is easy to come by, conditions are good and money is good. IF you go down the start-up route then it may be a nicer working environment, more potential or big success but work is likely harder to come by and money wont be anywhere near as good in the short term.

I have been to Bristol quite a lot as a bank I used to work for had a big presence down there. I quite liked it but I wouldn't recommend it as a first stab at the UK purely from an employment perspective. I have managed to avoid moving out to the home counties, it has been touch and go recently as I have to move but I couldn't drag myself away from London just yet. If I want to buy a house then unfortunately moving out is my only option in the long run unless the London Housing Market crashes suddenly.

playboy, what are the best websites to look for i.t jobs in london.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

zweton wrote: »
    playboy, what are the best websites to look for i.t jobs in london.

Start with a jobs aggregation site like indeed.co.uk (sample simple search).

Then as well as looking at the jobs on that site, look at the recruitment companies who are advertising the most jobs (or the most relevant to you). go to their website and then contact them....or use LinkedIn to find them :)

I'm not in IT at all so can't recommend anyone in particular but that's one particular tactic to use with your strategy :)

Advertisement