Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus 30 th May Strike

Options
  • 16-05-2014 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi All
    I am due to fly from Cork to Malaga on 30th May. Due to Industrial Action Aerlingus have said that we need to book/fly a day earlier but will not charge to change flights.
    This will result in one day less in work, an extra day car hire and another nights accommodation in Spain. Does anyone know the entitlements here? I appreciate any help
    BR
    Powerline

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Powerline

Hi Fred. No we have none. Eas hoimg to buy it next weekend along with the excess for car

Powerline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

sue the stupid unions - they are the ones calling the strike, not aer lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

You have the option to cancel your flight and claim your money back for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Most travel insurances these days exclude any cover for strike action (unless it's an unscheduled illegal strike action).

EU regulations don't cover you either because again an announced strike is excluded from the reasons why a airline needs to assist you.

At this point you can only either cancel the holiday or pay the additional moneys to rescue your holiday. Nothing else you can do.

Your only possible action is to sue the union as skelligs said because they are the people which are causing this issue.

I hope that despite this you will be able to enjoy your holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

You could always go a day later. You'd be at the loss of one days car use and hotel use but on the plus side it'll cost you no more than what you've spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

If I change my flight date and then the strike is called off will this mean the company will put flights back on the 30th and I'll be able to reschedule to that again?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Most travel insurances these days exclude any cover for strike action (unless it's an unscheduled illegal strike action).

EU regulations don't cover you either because again an announced strike is excluded from the reasons why a airline needs to assist you.

Every travel insurance policy varies, but the Terms and Conditions for the popular Vhi MultiTrip Travel Insurance policy does not exclude strike action. According to my interpretation, unless the strike was known when you BOOKED the flight, it would be covered as part of their trip delay/cancellation clause.

From: https://www.vhi.ie/pdf/products/16920_VHI_MultiTrip_Rules_MHMT20_(Web).pdf
    Your abandoning Your Trip following the cancellation of or a delay of more than 12 hours in the departure of Your outward flight, seacrossing
    or international coach or train journey, forming part of the Trip’s itinerary. This must be as a result of Strike or Industrial Action (of
    which You were unaware at the time You either booked the Trip or purchased this policy), ...

Anyone have a different experience with this type of planned strike?

• Advertisement
Advertisement