Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is just scraping a pass in a masters any good?

Options
  • 16-05-2014 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

I am doing a masters course in UCD at the moment. I have paid my first semester fees. However my results are pathetic and will only be just scraping a pass if I'm lucky. Shall I cut my losses and try and make a better go at it again sometime in the future?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

No, you think you will get a pass in a masters, so your more than able, it's not ment to be easy. Carry on I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Employers generally don't focus on grades, having a masters degree on your CV is better than not having it, you've come this far, finish it and move on.

You'll have the dreaded "gap" in your CV otherwise, which always comes up in interviews, so would you rather say I spent that time getting a masters or I spent that time studying a masters then dropped out because my grades weren't good?

Do it man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Undergrad degree's generally have 2.1 or whatever after them. But most people quote as having a 'Masters' The further you move up the qualification scale, the less people care about how well you really did. At the end of the day, your academics are not going to be the final decision made by an employer. Academics get you in the door, its life skills and other interests that get you the job e.g. Working with other people, self directed learning, initiative etc. People often forget that. Its cringe worthy to sit on an interview panel and just here about college stuff. Its a a guaranteed 'Thanks for coming' and never hear from them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Is the Masters graded? My first postgrad is just pass/fail and my husband has a Masters that is just pass/fail too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Keep going with it mate, if you get a pass (which I'm sure you will), just put it down on your CV as a Masters in...

No need to mention the results if they don't ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Thanks everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Is the Masters graded? My first postgrad is just pass/fail and my husband has a Masters that is just pass/fail too.

Mine was.

Mine was.

How are graded ones graded? Is it same as undergraduate degrees?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

How are graded ones graded? Is it same as undergraduate degrees?

As far as I know they're the same.
    Mine was in UCD, where the grading rules seem to be the same across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

As far as I know they're the same.
    Mine was in UCD, where the grading rules seem to be the same across the board.

Mine has a GPA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

As a general rule (in my experience), Taught Masters' get a grade, Research Masters' are just pass/fail

Raphael wrote: »
    As a general rule (in my experience), Taught Masters' get a grade, Research Masters' are just pass/fail

Ah, that makes sense, thanks for the info.

Advertisement