Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No moderator?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Good to hear. No rush at all.
    No idea how so many others have formed an opinion on that thread so quickly when they obviously haven't read it though.
    And no doubt if Shield comes back and decides your posting in that thread was disruptive or trolling you'll accuse him of circling the wagons or misunderstanding you.

Let's just face it... anyone who posts in this thread who thinks you deserve no sympathy (which would be everyone, so far) is wrong, correct? Or do you trust Shield to be impartial here? I do.

(Shield - take your time, sir. This thread can wait)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Dades wrote: »
    And no doubt if Shield comes back and decides your posting in that thread was disruptive or trolling you'll accuse him of circling the wagons or misunderstanding you.

Let's just face it... anyone who posts in this thread who thinks you deserve no sympathy (which would be everyone, so far) is wrong, correct? Or do you trust Shield to be impartial here? I do.

(Shield - take your time, sir. This thread can wait)
    I didn't say they were wrong. What I said is they haven't read the thread in question so they can't form an opinion on it or not. Their support for LLoth is therefore somewhat irrelevant and pointless.
    If they were right it would be purely by accident.
    Do you understand the difference?

Do you think it's fair that people from an opinion of you on the basis of your posts in this thread? You've done nothing here to suggest to people LoLth's appraisal was unfair, and nobody who knows him as a poster would believe he read that thread with any agenda.

That's the gauntlet you run in Feedback.

Do you think it's fair that people from an opinion of you on the basis of your posts in this thread? You've done nothing here to suggest to people LoLth's appraisal was unfair, and nobody who knows him as a poster would believe he read that thread with any agenda.

That's the gauntlet you run in Feedback.
    I believe from the time his post appeared in this thread it is incredibly unlikely that people read the posts after, decided LoLth was probably right (even though they had no real evidence) and then scrolled back up to hit thanks.
    People hit the thanks without reading the thread under discussion or the rest of the thread, which is what renders the support uninformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,118 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I certainly never engaged in either back seat modding or direct personal insults.

Just indirect ones?

• Advertisement

I believe from the time his post appeared in this thread it is incredibly unlikely that people read the posts after, decided LoLth was probably right...
    Why are you so hung up on "thanks" when you ignored or deflected LoLth's actual breakdown of that thread. If you want the casual Feedback observer on your side give them a reason to root for you.

Why are you so hung up on "thanks" when you ignored or deflected LoLth's actual breakdown of that thread. If you want the casual Feedback observer on your side give them a reason to root for you.
    Lolth admitted he had a pre-conceived conclusion, still insists that no abuse at all towards me even existed (it was only "perceived) and called me a fool, a direct personal insult and a clear breach on the.boards.ie charter.
    I don't understand how much more I need to say really.
    Claiming anybody discussing a topic is "hung up" is a tired meme at this stage. The people who are responding to me on that topic must also be 'hung up" I guess or does that depend on whether you agree with them or not?

Overheal wrote: »
    Just indirect ones?
    No, just my data backed opinion on the fitness of the force for purpose. Nothing personal at all, correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

lets do this your way seeing as you have decided that you know for a fact my thoughts on this.
    Lolth admitted he had a pre-conceived conclusion,

quote where I said this? I said I had a suspicion. That is one based on years of responding to feedback threads where users demand mod action in public without actually contacting the mods themselves. You've been here 4 years, you know that 24 hours is not unusual for mod response times and 12 is not enough to start accusing mods of being in absentia.
    still insists that no abuse at all towards me even existed (it was only "perceived)

again, quote where I said there was no abuse
    and called me a fool, a direct personal insult and a clear breach on the.boards.ie charter.

again, quote where I called you a fool? I stated that those that called you names in that thread did not do so, in my opinion, without foundation based on your posts in that thread. Again you refuse to see that you may have had a hand in your own treatment and instead add on another slight tweak to the response until it becomes closer to what you want it to be.

I did however state that in my opinion you were argumentative, trolling and smug in that thread and that's an opinion I'm allowed post here because it is you that started this thread looking for action on your reported posts.

I also stated that, in my opinion, you were being a dick. That's not a random observation, that's an opinion formed on the basis of a long time modding , cmodding and adminning on boards.ie .

To make this clearer, if I were to mod the thread you reported and used as an example that the Emergency Services did not moderate at all, I would have banned you from that forum for low level trolling. Instead, because there are moderators of the ES forum who do moderate and do their voluntary role very well from what I have seen, I am happy to leave the decision up to them.
    I don't understand how much more I need to say really.

and that's really part of the problem here. You don't understand. You ignore the basic civility when engaging with other users. you post in a manner that is aggressive, insulting and dismissive and then you call foul when those you ignore, anger or flat out insult (you described one poster's valid argument as moronic at one point) react badly and break a forum rule in their response to you. I never said they didn't break any rules. I am arguing that you clearly provoked them to that point and so you have to accept some responsibility for their actions. Try this next time, post an opinion and be willing to allow for the possibility of it changing based on the response form others. You'll find a much less hostile reaction.
    Claiming anybody discussing a topic is "hung up" is a tired meme at this stage.

that is not a "meme" I am familiar with. Are you sure that's what you meant? I think Dades was referring to the fact that you were fixating on the number of thanks my post got. I don't pay attention to the number of thanks and most mods would not either. As Dades pointed out there can be many reasons. Also, you have no way of knowing that some of those who thanked my post had not read the thread before I posted or while you were actively engage din it yourself. To assume that they didn't read the thread and so thanked my post with no informed opinion and so should be ignored is a rather big presumption on your part and that leap of logic may cause you not to understand what people are trying to say to you.

If, by meme, you mean a phrase on boards that gets used a lot then I think we may have a case of the pot calling the kettle black here. did you not post:
    So, mods close ranks and see ya later. Got it.

as soon as two posters shared an opinion that did not fully agree with your opening post?

lets try for another bit of selective interpretation on your part:
    Ah, but you said you didn't agree with me before you even read the thread. You admitted fully what your predicted decision was before you had any information on which to base an opinion.

show me where I said I had made a decision before I read the thread? I had a suspicion, I read the thread to make my opinion, I then wrote my opinion and checked the thread again to make sure I was not misreading the situation. I actually state that I read the thread and then re-read it, but you seem happy to ignore that fact.

If you want me to support the fact that I had an idea of what I was going to find when I read that thread, I will be happy to share the source of information that gave rise to my suspicion.

Now, you never answered my first question:
    Can I just ask, why do you think it is ok for you to jump into a thread and basically make no attempt to discuss the topic but instead just repeatedly soapbox your negative opinion of the emergency services all the while completely ignoring the points the other posters are making but it is not ok for someone to post that it is pointless discussing the topic with you or that they are no longer going to respond to your posts

seriously, why do you think your behaviour in that thread should be acceptable to other posters or to moderators of the forum?

LoLth wrote: »
    quote where I said this? I said I had a suspicion. That is one based on years of responding to feedback threads where users demand mod action in public without actually contacting the mods themselves. You've been here 4 years, you know that 24 hours is not unusual for mod response times and 12 is not enough to start accusing mods of being in absentia.
    I had contacted them, asking if they could at least tell me if my concerns had been appraised. Again, your pre-conceptions obviously aren't as great a guide as you seem to think they are. And no, I've never had to wait 24 hours for a response from a mod. I didn't realise this could happen. Which is sorta why I was here asking about it in the first place.
    again, quote where I said there was no abuse
    When you said the abuse was "perceived" you said there was no abuse. This is undeniable. You may have said otherwise elsewhere in your post, but the fact that you claim my reporting of abuse was something to with my "perception" is therefore implying it was not really abuse at all.
    again, quote where I called you a fool? I stated that those that called you names in that thread did not do so, in my opinion, without foundation based on your posts in that thread. Again you refuse to see that you may have had a hand in your own treatment and instead add on another slight tweak to the response until it becomes closer to what you want it to be.
    I have already done so. Here, I'll quote where you called me a fool, a direct personal ad hominem attack and a breach of the boards.ie charter:
    Fine you were called a troll and a fool, imho, given your posts in that thread, they are not observations without basis
    So if I say that, "imho, given Lolth's posts in this thread, calling Lolth a fool is not an observation without basis" is that calling you an fool or not? So I can safely use this
    "imho, given your posts in this thread, calling you a moron/Nazi/asswipe/whatever is not an observation without basis"
    and you are categorically stating this is not a personal insult?
    Come on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Having had to deal with Dan_Solo trolling in a number of threads I thought I would give my input. I have tried explaining things to him, I have tried proving things to him, I have even tried ignoring him although this really disrupts a thread. Not once have I gotten a serious response. In the latest thread where i have tried ignoring him he has taken to replying to my responses to other posters and has gone so far as to imply I am a paedophile in order to get attention and goad further response.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90450383&postcount=605

Now I'll admit that I've risen to his bait a few times but I've tried my best to remain civil. I'm aware that you can ignore users but it really doesn't work on a thread where every third post is from the ignored person.

Having had to deal with Dan_Solo trolling in a number of threads I thought I would give my input. I have tried explaining things to him, I have tried proving things to him, I have even tried ignoring him although this really disrupts a thread. Not once have I gotten a serious response. In the latest thread where i have tried ignoring him he has taken to replying to my responses to other posters and has gone so far as to imply I am a paedophile in order to get attention and goad further response.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90450383&postcount=605

Now I'll admit that I've risen to his bait a few times but I've tried my best to remain civil. I'm aware that you can ignore users but it really doesn't work on a thread where every third post is from the ignored person.
    Oh dear. How unfortunate that your link shows us where you falsely accused another poster of connecting Indians with pedophilia.
    I'm not exactly sure why you are linking Indian men to paedophilia
    Wasn't very clever advertising your baseless allegation of racism to the world while begging for justice, was it Little CuChulainn?

BTW, I said that hypothetical "resonates" with you for some reason (well enough for you to forget it was a hypothetical altogether seemingly). That isn't accusing you of anything. I know you're flailing about for a killer blow here, but you'd want something a bit less vague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

Just wondering if there is an actual mod in the ES forum.

The thread I started about the incident in waterford is just an off topic snide remark making shipwreck. Incidentally a few of the posters on this thread are the main culprits.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I've just locked that thread and deleted a few posts, so don't worry about the lack of forum moderation.

On the issue this thread was started for, I would like to update all, and let you all know that I have just finished another 3 hours of breaking it down, noting the incidents, and typing up my notes. It's definitely taking longer than I thought it would, but I want to try and be fair to any and all contributors on the thread in question.

Regards,

-Shield.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Can you pay please particular attention to "RecordStraight". They are possibly a banned user or a moderator who has used a new second account to insult people.

This was from their very first post.
    You are either a troll or a complete weirdo. I genuinely hope that some scumbags trash your car or your home

Thanks.

EDIT: I should add that Little Cuchullian didn't understand my hypothetical situation and this is what fuelled the little misunderstanding he and Dan have had.

EDIT: I should add that Little Cuchullian didn't understand my hypothetical situation and this is what fuelled the little misunderstanding he and Dan have had.
    Not only that, he apparently didn't understand it was a hypothetical situation at all. When you gave an example of what you considered defamation he accused you directly of the same defamation as if you were saying it was true.

Not only that, he apparently didn't understand it was a hypothetical situation at all. When you gave an example of what you considered defamation he accused you directly of the same defamation as if you were saying it was true.
    Just reading back through that thread. Sad but Ironic that there should be incitement to hatred and incitement to violence in a forum called emergency services.

More sad is the site itself or "boards.ie" even thanked a post which referred to the dead student -- dead only hours at this point -- as an "animal" (post 4).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Can you pay please particular attention to "RecordStraight". They are possibly a banned user or a moderator who has used a new second account to insult people.

This was from their very first post.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I had stopped responding to him before you brought it up. My disagreement with him was to do with his claim that people were being libeled which, to me, showed a complete lack of knowledge in the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Just reading back through that thread. Sad but Ironic that there should be incitement to hatred and incitement to violence in a forum called emergency services.

More sad is the site itself or "boards.ie" even thanked a post which referred to the dead student -- dead only hours at this point -- as an "animal" (post 4).

That post was obviously POTD, and the boards.ie account automatically thanks it. It isn't an endorsement of any kind.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    That post was obviously POTD, and the boards.ie account automatically thanks it. It isn't an endorsement of any kind.
    I genuinely have no idea what that means. It certainly isn't obvious to me. Can you explain please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

Shield wrote: »
    I've just locked that thread and deleted a few posts, so don't worry about the lack of forum moderation.

On the issue this thread was started for, I would like to update all, and let you all know that I have just finished another 3 hours of breaking it down, noting the incidents, and typing up my notes. It's definitely taking longer than I thought it would, but I want to try and be fair to any and all contributors on the thread in question.

Regards,

-Shield.

I won't worry about any moderation. Sorry if I've offended you.

I was just highlighting a thread that had gone in to a complete shambles.

Enjoy your note taking. I'm sure the mid night candle will be burning for this one

Post of the day. Even if it is auto generated it is of course still an endorsement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I genuinely have no idea what that means. It certainly isn't obvious to me. Can you explain please?

the boards.ie account keeps track of the posts that get thanked a lot. we have had an issue with this before where an inappropriate post has received a lot of thanks and get automatically selected as "post of the day" , the boards.ie bot account automatically adds a thanks to make sorting and historical searches easier. Its not a "boards.ie approves this message" its a "this post was popular enough at this time to qualify as a post of the day".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

POTD = Post of the day. The post with the most thanks each day is "awarded" POTD.

The boards.ie account was created to keep track of posts of the day, iirc. It thanks each POTD automatically. You can find previous POTD by clicking the boards.ie profile and seeing which posts it has thanked.

Hope that explains it.

Edit: Damn you and my phone LoLth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Post Of The Day

The post which accumulates the most "thanks" on any given day is called the POTD. You can find it in the boards.ie tab underneath Thread of the Day. The Boards.ie account automatically thanks the POTD so they can be found via the Boards.ie user page under thanked posts. It allows people to look back easily over old POTD

Post of the day. Even if it is auto generated it is of course still an endorsement.

How so? It automatically thanks the post no matter what the post is. As explained above it merely makes it easier to track older POTD

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    How so? It automatically thanks the post no matter what the post is. As explained above it merely makes it easier to track older POTD
    Why is it listed under "thanks" at all? I understand this may be a leftover from some old coding short cut or something, but why do it this way instead of just keeping a separate list?
    Just because code automatically does something it doesn't absolve the coder (or owner) from what it does?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Why is it listed under "thanks" at all? I understand this may be a leftover from some old coding short cut or something, but why do it this way instead of just keeping a separate list?

Why does it matter to you?

You seem to have to take issue with everything here, perhaps a different "discussion" site would suit your preference for your argumentative, hard done by perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,118 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just because code automatically does something it doesn't absolve the coder (or owner) from what it does?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

So all the thanked Posts or POTD under the Boards.ie account are the opinion of the coder?

It is a simple, functioning way to keep track of the posts. If you want to make more of it than that then fire away but I think most people see it for exactly what it is

Advertisement