Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elite: Dangerous

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Been a backer of E: D since kickstarter and of course my broadband goes down today :D

Maybe your ISP is sharing the same servers as E: D. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

lol, is it that bad? I know they are having intermittent problems today but I guess that's to be expected. I'd been reading lots of positive comments about the performance and gameplay improvements since 3.9. Looking forward to the live stream launch today at 8pm:

http://www.twitch.tv/elitedangerous

My broadband is hanging in there for now but no doubt it will drop just before the stream

lol, is it that bad? I know they are having intermittent problems today but I guess that's to be expected. I'd been reading lots of positive comments about the performance and gameplay improvements since 3.9. Looking forward to the live stream launch today at 8pm:

http://www.twitch.tv/elitedangerous

My broadband is hanging in there for now but no doubt it will drop just before the stream

The Cobra MKIII model is pretty cool!

Imperial Dreadnought. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

OK so start button is still greyed out on start up screen so I cant get a game. I do notice that the server name at the bottem has [unconnected ] written beside it. How do I connect, is that not automatic???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Fian

Sold my eagle and upgraded to a hauler yesterday. Kind of regret doing so because the rep required for bb missions means my intended strategy of using enhanced cargo capacity to run bb missions until I can buy cobra is probably less effective than bounty hunter and assassin missions. I have 2 missions to kill a "terrorist" wrack, worth 250k or so between them. Ofc maybe wrack is an elite anaconda or something that would tear my eagle apart, I don't know.

game is really stable, was unplayable for me before 3.9, now flawless in open or solo. Really enjoying it. Need to find some cargo bay upgrades for hauler or maybe should trade it in for eagle and upgrade that.

Glebee wrote: »
    OK so start button is still greyed out on start up screen so I cant get a game. I do notice that the server name at the bottem has [unconnected ] written beside it. How do I connect, is that not automatic???

Connection is automatic so most likely a problem with their servers, like it was yesterday. Keep an eye on this thread, there's been lots of folks having problems connecting or crashing out: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=62455

Fian wrote: »
    Ofc maybe wrack is an elite anaconda or something that would tear my eagle apart, I don't know.

FYI: Wrack is in fact flying an anaconda with turrets, frag cannons and plasma launcher. Your starter sidewinder is not going to cut it.

I am now the proud owner of a hauler and an eagle for a bit of variety. Will swap between them as I feel like it. Then sell them both to fund a cobra when I can. Won't have alot of play time this week.

Game is great, not a single crash/lock up in open or solo since 3.9. Mostly playing open but when it is busy outposts can be full, so swapping to "Han mode" gets rid of the "docking request denied" spam.

After I get a Cobra and Fuel scoops I may take a sightseeing trip to Sol system.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Any more news on joining with friends, has it become easier? Haven't got on since gamma release...

Found a large supply of superconductors in an "industrial" system for some reason, selling them at 6.2k per ton. Another system less than 7 lightyears away has 4 industrial stations which all have high Demand for them. So I am making about 17k per jump in my 18 cargo capacity hauler. Unfortunately only about 4k on the return legs.

Can now afford my Cobra Mark III though will probably trade a few more runs in my hauler when i get home (unless the supply has been exhausted) to make sure I have enough to upgrade + keep some "working capital" to fill my cargo holds with.

The cobra is for sale at 379k, has the price gone up in Gamma? Or is this an upgraded one that a KS backer has sold on?

• Advertisement

Any more news on joining with friends, has it become easier? Haven't got on since gamma release...
    It's much better now but playing as a group doesn't mean that you have to be in the same system. A few of us are playing within a few jumps of each other and it helps because you can ask if anyone has seen a particular commodity, black market or ship upgrade during their travels. We decided that we want to try mining so we all gradually moved towards a high-tech system and are trying to get the cash together to buy the tools we need.

Last night's update broke oculus rift support so I won't be playing unless they fix that.

Upgraded to cobra, the shipyard said it had modules including an intermediate scanner and frameship wake scanner that were not there when i took posession. Game wouldn't let me trade in hauler (trade in option more expensive than storing ship). Bought anyway on the basis i would sell some of teh modules and sell the hauler to get working capital. I bought it before I would have been ideally ready because i suspected with the extra modules that i was picking up a "long distance cobra" sold by a kickstarter and worried that someone else would snap it up and it would not be available.

anyway upgrades weren't there when i bought it, can't sell the hauler and teh shipyard are ignoring my picket off the station entrance.

On top of that irritation shortly after i found an USS with a load of prototype tech. I dumped cargo, picked it up and sneaked into BM station as i often have before. I bloody crashed into the toast rack, got scanned before i sorted myself out, and picked up a 38k fine. Between that and the inability to sell modules not in ship or trade in old one I am limited in working capital - can't afford to fill my cargo bay with superconductors anymore. Also after the stolen goods fine i am hostile with the federation so very limited BB missions available.

Ah well - live and learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Considering there will be another wipe for the launch on the 16th I decided to throw caution to the wind, sell my sidewinder and take my free eagle as far as I could. Currently within a few LY of Betelgeuse and heading right into the heart of the Orion molecular complex.

picked up a BB mission last night - 187k credits to deliver a load of gold to the refinery/extraction economy next system over. At the same time picked up a "source goods" mission looking for 6 palladium and paying about 130k for them. there was a supply of palladium in the system i had to deliver gold to.

One jump round trip made me over 300k less the cost of 6 palladium, so over 200k net anyway.

nice work if you can get it :)

Following that windfall I installed mining equipment into my cobra to give that a spin, have not tried mining before.

A few hundred K from that should be enough to let me try out at type 6 - if i can trade in my cobra.

Even after the last patch i still cannot sell my hauler. i should swap into it and sell the components at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What happens if you completely mess up, is there a restart button or can any situation be salvaged by letting the police capture you?

Thargor wrote: »
    What happens if you completely mess up, is there a restart button or can any situation be salvaged by letting the police capture you?

You can "delete save" if you want to reset entirely as if you have just started the game. Short of that if you lose money you just have to earn it again and if you lose reputation - ditto.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Wellll......

I just ordered something that should, by all rights, be a sex toy - THRUSTMASTER t-flight HOTAS(S) :D I'd been eyeing this for the specific purpose of giving Elite and Star Citizen a look when the time comes, so I guess I'd best get that graphics card update and a copy of this game to make use of it... :D

Unless of course you guys reckon that an i5 2500k (at stock) with 8GB of RAM, an SSD and 2 X 6950's in Crossfire will run it well enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Still can't play after installing gamma 1.0 with start button not clickable. Customer service tickets keep telling me that the issue is resolved. 😒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Glebee wrote: »
    Still can't play after installing gamma 1.0 with start button not clickable. Customer service tickets keep telling me that the issue is resolved. 😒

Same happened to me but i clicked around the menu's and it un-grayed itself. Strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

As a preorder customer I get access, from yesterday, to the Combat tutorial demo which is basically a few combat missions against AI. I have to say I'm impressed. The game runs smoother than I expected on my modest rig (q6600 @ 3Ghz, 4 GB DDR2, 6870) on the preset settings, and looks and sound great. I am getting used to my Thrustmaster 16000m budget joystick and I'm finally glad I bought it cheap a few months ago. After playing the demo I think head tracking is an absolute must for the combat experience, and I am using a three IR led clip with FacetracknoIR using a PS3 Eye camera. You really do need it to follow your target as it weaves and ducks. The head tracking combined with a decent joystick really does become intuitive an immersive. Even though there is going to be so much more to the finished game the combat demo could be fleshed out and sold as a great game in it's own right. Have to say I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far from Frontier Developments and I can't wait for the launch on December 16th.

• Advertisement

I've got 3 monitors, will the game automatically put the left and right cockpit menu things on those for me or will I still need to bring that up via some sort of command?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

It automatically puts the different menus on the left and right screens. It's the best optimised multi monitor game I've ever played.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Wellll......

I just ordered something that should, by all rights, be a sex toy - THRUSTMASTER t-flight HOTAS(S) :D I'd been eyeing this for the specific purpose of giving Elite and Star Citizen a look when the time comes, so I guess I'd best get that graphics card update and a copy of this game to make use of it... :D

Unless of course you guys reckon that an i5 2500k (at stock) with 8GB of RAM, an SSD and 2 X 6950's in Crossfire will run it well enough?

It will. More than enough.

i am running it fine with an eight year old computer, 4gb ddr1 ram, "core 2 duo" processor and windows vista 32bit.

Although i have upgraded graphics card recently - but i am running perfectly with graphics set to max (monitor is only 720p though).

Before i upgraded the graphics card i was running it fine (on low graphics settings) - with those specs and an integrated graphics card.

Anyway I would at the very least try it before you pull the trigger on a new graphics card.

Awesomesauce, thank you very much folks.

I'll pull the trigger on it so, that joystick and throttle will need to be broken in somehow :D

I know someone that just ordered an nvidia 970 to replace 2x6950s. he doesnt have elite but I'll let you know how he gets on with BF4 etc. I think he has the same CPU too.

Scan.co.uk and overclockers.co.uk have good prices on 970s today...still expensive but better value than a 980

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Started up the Combat missions there last night. Everything on max runs smooth (i5 2500k 4.4ghz, 7870HD).

Fiddle about for awhile trying to get the rift to work with it, then realising all i have to do is start the game with rift as primary. Magic.

Bit of juddering when moving the head left and right. Any tips on what to lower for best performance/least hit to graphics?

Well I've committed now, money has changed hands. Won't be doing anything till my flight stick arrives next week, but might get the voice attack stuff set up (and really, paying someone Three Fiddy for not having to waste time trying to figure it all out is fine... unless of course he's a Lough Ness Monster. He did have some flipper like appendages...)

I might have misunderstood you, have you already ordered a new graphics card?

Don't worry about missing out on the game right now as numerous exploits to gain money quickly are being reported. This can only mean a wipe of stats on the 16th.

No, no graphics card for Dav just yet, I have to get the Christmas out of the way first (and it's almost all done thankfully!). I need a new Power Supply too (my Seasonic M12 is over 7 years old at this stage, still going strong, but has old connectors and tbh, after 7 years of really hard use, it might be time to let it retire to a file-server or HTPC to relax :)

• Advertisement

now trucking around in a 100 cargobay lakon 6, having parked my cobra for the moment. Need an "my other ship is an upgraded cobra" bumper sticker. Really noticing the drop in range - the cobra has a B class FSD in it so a big drop.

My question - is it worth selling my "loaned" pulse lasers to upgrade range? On the one hand I can't see myself winning any dogfights in this truck. on the other: I know it helped in a hauler but given the enormous increase in mass, especially with a full cargo bay, I imagine selling the pulse lasers will have a negligible impact on range in the Lakon 6?

Don't want to throw them away for free for no benefit and then have to pay to replace them if I change my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Edgey75

dunno how i missed this thread...
    i backed the game on kickstarter but didnt partake in the alpha or beta, ive played so many games in real early testing phases that it put me off. that said soon as gamma came out i downloaded and have been having a lot of fun.

i have played the first elite on the bbc micro and a 286sx pc :P frontier was my favourite though on the amiga, so many hours spent on that game.

elite dangerous has a promising future ahead of it and the planned updates will make the game a lot of fun.

mining is a little op at the moment imho as i can rake a lot of money in very quickly by just hitting a few metal asteriod belts, exploring can bring a nice cash flow in from selling the data but it can be a bit hit and miss. bounty hunting and piracy need a bit of work though to bring the income up from doing either.

really great fun though and its a nice retro but modern feeling flying around in a cobra :P

My first elite game was Frontier on the Amiga so I know where you're coming from. ED right now is sort of similar to the old game but we still havent got military missions and mining is indeed broken (and there is a game breaking exploit that almost made me stop mining when I heard about it). Frontier have a track record of under promising and over delivering so hopefully these things will be fixed before launch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So with the release a few days away, is it pretty much feature complete? Is there actually much to do?

I've not followed it for a while, but just curious.

We don't really know for sure. Their weekly newsletters have been quite short on info lately but they did give some of the back story this week. They have a habit of under promising and over delivering so hopes are high that the game will have more substance to it other than the trading, mining, bounty hunting, delivery missions and selling exploration data.

I assume that the storyline will be fleshed out by military missions (not included yet) but there may be other things to do.
    Latest newsletter:
    http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=560d50221f

• Advertisement

Parcel Motel have my Thrustmaster stick and can't find it. This is not pleasing news.

Jaysus Parcel Motel seem to have a problem with gaming/Arcade and retro stuff, non-stop complaints about them there and a thumbs up for great service from everyone else including a heavy user like me.

Parcel Motel have my Thrustmaster stick and can't find it. This is not pleasing news.

Ouch. Do you have a tracking number? you can use Nightline's tracking page for parcel motel items.

Seems to be a symptom of the time of year as Amazon lost a monitor on me last week :( Not parcel motel related though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

aye crazy busy for them this time of the year no doubt

Theres a guy in the OnePlus One owners thread who received an empty box from Parcel Motel recently aswell, they're paying for it but annoying at this time of the year and with OnePlus invites and high demand etc.

• Advertisement

Big news.

I guess i will finish grinding my asp, I'm about half way there.

now I have to figure out what to do about my hostile Federation rep, which I have had since getting caught smuggling a bunch of prototype tech into a black market station. Anyone know how to improve my hostile rep with them - is it just doing missions for anyone in federation systems?

Makes crashing my type 6 with a 100 cargo into an incoming ship as i exited a station rather more annoying now that the loss "counts" but meh, didn't take long to recover the loss i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Ordered Mercenary Edition last night, will I get to play before the official release?

Ordered Mercenary Edition last night, will I get to play before the official release?

Only the offline combat demo. But full telease is only 1 week away sher :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Arcto wrote: »
    Only the offline combat demo. But full telease is only 1 week away sher :)

But I want it now.... :(

No point in buying beta access at this point!

The Merc edition (which I got too) seemed to have a free second spess ship too? What ship do you start with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

you start with a sidewinder, the bonus ship for the merc edition is a light fighter, the eagle.

Skatedude wrote: »
    you start with a sidewinder, the bonus ship for the merc edition is a light fighter, the eagle.

But the real bonus you get is a light fighter you can sell which will net you 40k towards the 60k or so you need to fly a "hauler". The hauler is the cheap "white van" of space. Plastic dashboard, sluggish, slow, but it holds 16 cargo when upgraded if you keep your shields. Sell your weapon, it is no good to you and the weight of it reduces hyperspace range (note this is "weapon" not "weapose". Run away if anyone attacks you. Alternatively you could try fitting a refinery and mining laser.

Use the hauler until you gather the 350k or so you need to upgrade to a cobra. that is a good allround ship that can hold 40 cargo with shields and operates as a good platform to mine or trade and hold its own in combat until you get 1.6 million or so for a Lakon 6.

Lakon 6 is back to a sluggish trader again, this time it is a rigid truck rather than a white van though. 104 cargo with shields.

Each time you upgrade a ship make sure you have enough "working capital" left to fill your cargo hold. No point having a 100 cargo capacity and no money to buy goods to fill it with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

"Can't connect to edServer. Your client is too new"

Eh... is this happening to anyone else?

Gamma 2.0 update is meant to be live since about 5.30pm but they seem to be having problems

• Advertisement
Advertisement