Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elite: Dangerous

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Summary info on Crime & Punishment and Wing Missions coming in the first part of 3.0

Wing missions look really good and C&P changes seem fair.

FDev let something "slip" in their live stream earlier

Plus summary here of all the stuff they were supposed to let slip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Might pull an all nighter, well a couple of hours anyway, only one more rank to rear admiral and hello Mr. Vette. Being tipping away at for the last week or two and getting tierd of it now so I think I might push through it tonight. I presume the last one from post captain is the longest.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Yeah works out at 2.5 missions for 1 percent, this is where donating in 17 Draconis becomes the norm

"**** it cant be arsed doing another data mission"

Do you have a billion credits for the Vette?

This is close to mine

https://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_corvette?code=A4putpFklkdzsuf57o7o7l2727242404040404000303044k5s5s2d2dm9fr2dm96lv42f.Iw18ZlA%3D.Aw18ZlA%3D..EweloBhBmSQUwIYHMA28QgIwV0A%3D

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Yeah works out at 2.5 missions for 1 percent, this is where donating in 17 Draconis becomes the norm

"**** it cant be arsed doing another data mission"

Do you have a billion credits for the Vette?

This is close to mine

https://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_corvette?code=A4putpFklkdzsuf57o7o7l2727242404040404000303044k5s5s2d2dm9fr2dm96lv42f.Iw18ZlA%3D.Aw18ZlA%3D..EweloBhBmSQUwIYHMA28QgIwV0A%3D

Yeah got into it and I don't know it's like you can see the finish line but facing into more data missions I couldn't do it. So I hopped over to Draconis to see how that works. There was donation missions about but only around 3 per board. Had to flip and that got boring pretty quick:rolleyes:.

Anyway couldn't keep the eyes open so wrapped it up at 48% I WILL finish it today!

Regarding fitting out of the beast I'm just going to transfer all my A rated engineered stuff from my Conda into it. I think I have everything bought all ready. I have a couple of huge OC MC's as well in storage. (I've done a lot of messing around with me ships buying this and that etc.)

• Advertisement

Well its Rear Admiral now Commander of Big Snuggles, terrorizing your local Haz Res in the foreseeable future:D

Big_Snuggles.png

Current set up is

2 Huge overcharged g4 MC's
    The rest are g2 turreted long range beams to reach out at full power at nearly 4km. Decided to go with turrets as even though the Vette is more maneuverable than the Conda its still no FDL and I feel I can always have some damage on target with the turrets.

Whats impressing me so far is the shields even though I haven't got them fully engineered currently g4 thermal I am thinking of going g5 reinforced. Also need to engineer a couple more SB to ramp them up more. Having 2 banks of 7A SCB's are a great comfort as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Shes a beaut:)

Was literally having the conversation about shields this morning with mates. PvE I'd stick with thermal resistant, PvP go reinforced. I'd have a general mix of boosters then on top, 2 x Thermal, 2 x Heavy Duty and 2 x Augmented for PvE.

So my reasoning for Thermal vs Reinforced depends entirely on how you intend to play:

Thermal - PvE in the main, bad guys are gonna be running lasers (thermal weapons) the majority of the time. Thermal resistance will increase the amount of time you can go without needing to fire a SCB. Managing pips well in fights and you'll barely fire a bank. This is what I'm running at the moment on Prismatic Shields, 3599Mj with 60%+ on the resistances (high 40s on kinetic), easy to end up spending a few hours in a res. My current Thermal resistance is above 60% so taking very little damage from most enemies, gets a little trickier when up against larger ships outfit with PA's for the reasons outlined below.

Reinforced - PvP you want to have the strongest possibly shields. In general most PvPers are going to be running at least one PA, if not 2. PA's are the only weapon in the game that deal 60% Absolute damage (ignores all resistances), 20% Thermal and 20% Kinetic. So having high resistance on your shields isn't going to represent any advantage in a PvP scenario. For PvP basically, tank the sh*t out of your shields. PA's are probably the most devastatingly powerful weapons in the game, landing two hits on smaller ships is more than capable of destroying them.

For those reasons and based on my current loadout if I get interdicted by a CMDR I'm probably High Waking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I haven't played this game in months. Anything i'm missing out on?

Sciprio wrote: »
    I haven't played this game in months. Anything i'm missing out on?

Pretty much sums it up:

thargoids-thargoids-everywhere.jpg

Loads of stations have been attacked in the Pleiades, so safe to say we're at war with the Thargoids, or at least AEGIS are and are using the players to escalate it. But I'm going all tin foil hat now...

In other news, 3.0 open beta starts on PC on Thursday.

• Advertisement

So some guy called Will Flanagan claimimg to be a dev posted on the forums about passenger missions....

Hello commanders,

As some of you are aware, Passenger Bulk missions are currently generating extremely high credit rewards that we feel are excessive of what we would consider reasonable and balanced.

After a detailed investigation, we can confirm that this is due to an element in our mission generation algorithm that rewards credits based on the distance of the destination system from the star.

Due to this, we will be disabling (until further notice) the aforementioned element of Passenger Bulk missions to reduce the amount of credits offered as a reward. Commanders will still be able to select and complete Passenger Bulk missions, but will see less excessive credit rewards.

In the meantime, we will be reviewing the Passenger Bulk missions and correct the previously mentioned element – hopefully in time for you to test in the Beyond Chapter One beta.

Thanks to all the players who reported the issue.

Not sure if he is legit though,most on the forum think he is.

EoinHef wrote: »
    So some guy called Will Flanagan claimimg to be a dev posted on the forums about passenger missions....

He's a new community manager in Frontier.

RIP high paying passenger missions :(

Although I can't complain, I made several billion!!!

Ah that sux man,i probably made about 800mil in total accross PC and PS4 after a quick add up so good money but its more of a question weather i can suck it up enough to go back to mediocre mission credit rewards at this point.

Have to just see how it plays out i suppose. Strange time to do it though,right before a beta. Forums have been salty for ages about the bulk pass missions,can only imagine what it will be like if the new update isnt a hit and there will be a lot of angry players about:P

Oops looks like i made an addimg error,was 1.2billion accross both platforms,i was too late to Rhea and Parutis felt like a major chore every time so probably didnt use it as mich as i could have!

So here's the summary of the final changes that are being made for 3.0.

Overall I like what they're doing with the engineers. But, having to progress through Levels 1 - 5, per blueprint, per module is kinda bugging me. It just doesn't sit right with me, I'd probably be happier if it was progress through lvl 1 - 5 per blueprint, unlocking lvl 5 for all modules, or not at all and just leave the progression the way it currently is.

The rest of the updates seem pretty good, plus the Keelback is getting a second seat.

I guess we'll just have to see how the Beta goes.

Disaster....i have made my money about 1.5b or so but I felt I could do with more. Having the spare cash allows you to experiment do the stuff you want to do. Kit out your ship etc. I kinda felt that I should spend a couple of more hours grinding over the last few days. Since I got the vette I'm now down to my last 400m ..thats good enough walking around money I suppose but still it's a bit crap

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Disaster....i have made my money about 1.5b or so but I felt I could do with more. Having the spare cash allows you to experiment do the stuff you want to do. Kit out your ship etc. I kinda felt that I should spend a couple of more hours grinding over the last few days. Since I got the vette I'm now down to my last 400m ..thats good enough walking around money I suppose but still it's a bit crap

They really need to take a serious look at the scaling of mission payouts.

My Vette has a rebuy of 46m, aside from being able to farm millions at a time from a rez, there's not much viable missions to take that seem to offer a reasonable payout. For example, why would you risk potentially (however unrealistically with a fully engineered Vette) a 46m rebuy for an assassination mission that pays out 1 - 3m. Never mind the ridiculous idea of running data delivery missions that pay less than 100k, thats a 0.022% return on the value of my ship. In other words, not worth the time at all.

For players, such as yourself, who are arguably tight on cash this makes little sense. I don't mind the risk at all, having a cash balance of 1.2bn (3.8bn assets) offers that comfort. But I've heard too many stories of people investing in one of the big 3 (Cutter/Vette/Conda) and very quickly going bankrupt. Happened to a friend of mine in the space of half an hour!

Offering more of a reward for missions, based on your alignment to local factions and scaled with your own personal ranks would be more worthwhile. An elite combat pilot taking an assassination mission should expect something a bit more realistic. Too often the game is a case of "where's the current gold rush" and then it gets taken away. Players having more cash opens up the freedom to play the game in a very different way.

The example being what I'm currently doing. I splitting my time between running missions that offer me the data / material rewards I will need for engineering, not worrying about the payouts, and helping friends out with unlocking the different engineers and learning the basics of the game (2 different friends). I'm probably enjoying doing this more than worrying about rebuys or how much cash I have.

tl;dr - offer more money for missions based on faction & personal rank and allow players the financial freedom to play their way.

I see the type 10 is now getting a class 7 PD, might be worth another look at....i experimented with 4 large unmodded beams before and the bloody thing couldn't handle it so I gave up on it.

Take a copy of your custom binds file before you update! Lost all mine and in the process of rebinding everything.

Preparing for Update.

.....this may take a while.

• Advertisement

Dont think im gonna bother with the beta,few other games i want to give a bit of attention too so ill most likely just wait till release.

Change notes look good though,hopefully the material trader works well enough to offset having to upgrade a module from 1-5 each time. Weirdly one of the best features for me is gonna be the 100 cap per material,managing that s**t is a right pain. Can literally just scoop everything now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

All went fine tbh, took the tip I read online of just before you play the beta (after downloading it) load up your normal game, save it, then load up the beta, this way no Hotas binding info is lost. worked for me anyway.

I like the new engineering, it makes me miss the 200 odd hours i put into getting something obscure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Passenger missions are definitely down quite a bit for me :( used to have a load of 500k-1mil short passenger missions out of sol. What's a good way to make some decent cash with a python (finally got my first decent sized ship).

Passenger missions are definitely down quite a bit for me :( used to have a load of 500k-1mil short passenger missions out of sol. What's a good way to make some decent cash with a python (finally got my first decent sized ship).

In the Parutis medb run you can still get up to 50mil. All you have to do now is the single missions or the named passsengers. Obviously they will need their own cabin so you need a bus with lots of slots. Also beware a lot of these dudes don't want to be scanned so be careful what you pick.

I like everything that I've seen so far. Some really nice touches, like seeing how much of a material you have in your inventory when you target it. The new engineering is good with one caveat, going through levels 1 - 5 for each module just doesn't make sense to me. From an immersion perspective do the engineers have selective amnesia? If I was a mechanical engineer and figured out how to do an awesome modification to something and then immediately forgot, every time, I wouldn't be long for the job!

It's literally the only thing I don't like about this beta, makes no sense...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The Cheiftain - first look

Ok, I'll admit it, the new engineering system grows on you. Mainly down to the increased material drops making life a lot easier! Beta is really stable as well, haven't had a single crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Starting back at this since I played a few hours on launch. Joystick (X52) arriving next week, playing on Xbox controller until then coupled with mouse keyboard.

I've watched a few "beginner's guides" and "top 10 tips for new players", but anything less than obvious I should know starting out (wiped my previous save) ?

• Advertisement

The most important thing to do at the start is play in solo until you get out of the start system. Or at least a few systems away with no missions going back to the start system. That was probably covered in the guides but just in case! Don't worry about loosing the freewinder! Be prepared for a learning curve, space is hard!

Otherwise, buy a fuel scoop, the best you can afford, then in the galaxy map set your root under the star class filter to scoopable stars (by star type: KGB FOAM is a handy way to remember) and travel via them. Never fly without a rebuy. Find a system and take missions / bounty hunt / whatever from there and stay there until you're comfortable that you have an idea what you're doing. Come here for advise, there's plenty of us here more than willing to help.

Danke. Rebuy seems to be the big one, don't **** it up. I'm about 75 LY away from my start point, because the 3 lads I persuaded to play with me started miles away from me and I decided to fly over. I've upgraded my FSD and my powerplant so far. Going to likely save up about 500/600K for a Cobra and start there. I hear it's quite versatile, while not being a master of any trade.

Never fly without rebuy, space is hard.

You rank up with minor factions so keep returning to them for more higher paying missions when you are an ally of them.

Go into High Res Zones and find an Anaconda copper in a wing and shoot at what he shoots at (SCAN THE BAD GUY 1ST). Bring a Warrant scanner if you want fast cash.

Pick a system and stick with it, I go for multiple Haz Res sites and landable planets.

If you are in a system check if the planets have rings they will 100% have Res sites, but you only see them at less than 1,000 LS

What's a Res Zone / site? Resource? Mining, I presume?

Aye, Resource Extraction Sites. There's 3 types you're interested in of varying intensity; Low, High and Hazerdous.

Hazerdous avoid for now, there's no cops at all. In the sidey you're dead if the solar wind blows the wrong way!

As Dreamers said get a kill warrent scanner, if you have the spare power to manage running it. Let your ship sensors do a basic scan, to see if a target is wanted in that system, but fire the warrent scanner as well as it usually takes a little longer. Shoot what the cops shoot and you'll make plenty of money in no time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Got an Ally to my first station. So apart from the cash is there anything more it offers?
    Like would it be beneficial to ally in many systems or just stay near home?

• Advertisement

god's toy wrote: »
    Got an Ally to my first station. So apart from the cash is there anything more it offers?
    Like would it be beneficial to ally in many systems or just stay near home?

Better mission payouts is all really. Getting alllied with different minor factions is something that kind of happens naturally as you progress through the game, either through community goals or working with the engineers.

If you plan on doing engineering it would be worth working with the following factions:
    • Sirius Corporation - Allied for Marco Qwent
    • Eurybia Blue Mafia - Friendly for Liz Ryder
    • Alioth Independents - Allied for Bill Turner
    • Party of Yoru - Allied (afaik) for Zacariah Nemo
    For Sirius Corp. you'd be best off doing missions between Sothis and Ceos. The others I used exploration data, which is also a handy way to get allied.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQJZMW33KCQ

Have a look at this video it explains it all. if you play it cool and dont rush into it like blasting someone before you scan them or accidentally hit a cop you could have a few million in a few hours work.

Now getting about a Billion and the rank to fully kit out a Corvette is a different story....:P

Here is something for you and your buddies to do and it has some bonuses too.

Setup shop in Hamilton Gateway in Wolf 406 (its 3k ls from main star). Buy a Warrant scanner (only of you needs it).

Scan every wanted guy in the High Rez located about 1ls from the Gateway and dont turn in any Alliance Bounty's to that station, keep them and when you have a decent amount (1m plus) go to Wolf 397 and cash them in with the engineer.

You will unlock him to level 5 very quickly and get yourself some nice modified weapons.

You will accidentally turn in the Alliance bountys to Hamilton gateway :)

Possibly the best bug I've ever seen in any of the betas!

Go to the 3rd page and have a look at the stats for the T9, top cruise speed of 334Bn times C and a boost over 500Bn, :D

I just cannot wipe the grin off my face using the FAS,with a decent amount of engineering,have 2 C3 MC's with G5 rapidfire Incendary and Corrosive and two C2 PA's with G2 Efficent.

Shes fast,tough and great fun to fly.
    Over at the CG in Un No Moyin at a CNB and the elite ships are just melting. Lasting about an hour at a go before having to rearm.

Bout the most fun ive had with combat in the game. Its probably not meta for PvE but man its great craic

• Advertisement

Very frustrated at the moment trying to unlock yer man Nemo and have to get friendly (or allied?) with the Party of Yoru. OMG I have never failed so many missions in my entire Elite career. The missions are a PAIN IN THE HOLE,

Collect black boxes so you jump in them bam you get 6 NPC's jump in a start blasting you before you can get the boxes, failed one or two of them.

Took on 3 assassination missions but then realized I have to get the location info from a data panel in a high security facility, saw the rebuy screen a few times there with being swarmed with skimmers etc so failed those missions as I was never going to get to the panel.

The very odd data delivery mission but I got interdicted in my AspX and somehow ended up seeing the rebuy screen again (got into a panic and he took me down quick:rolleyes:)

So I said F**k it time to bring up the Vette and blast my way to allied with bounty vouchers in the high/HAZ rez in the system but f**k me I have never seen so many clean NPC's in a haz res in my entire life. Also only getting harmless idiots as well.

This is trying my patience:mad:

Picked up my first ship ugprade, Cobra Mk3. Have the 32 cargo space, and even a small 2 person cabin, currently doing a passengeer mission for 1.5 million credits, which was sounding good until I realised his stops (4 of them) appear to be approx 18 jumps away each. I'm full sure I could be doing trading missions that are more efficient than this, but I suppose I can sell the system data too if needs be. Might try upgrading my jump drive though, see if it helps. Most components are D/C at this point I think.

If you are looking to increase the jump range, whilst being able to do various mission types, the best thing you can do is D rate all core modules and shields, except the FSD, that should always be A rated. D rated modules are the lightest and can have a massive impact on the range of you ship.

Something like this build might do you for now considering the missions you've described. So drop one of the cargo racks for the best fuel scoop you can afford. 18 jumps, if going by fastest route, you will run out of fuel unless you're docking every 3rd system or so, but that would be really tedious.

ECO_Mental wrote: »

This is trying my patience:mad:

1000LY trip and bring them Honk Scans, 6.5m in scans will get you buddy for life status.

Used exploration data for them mostly as well. I did a few Data missions from one of the neighbouring system as well that had the party of yoru faction in too. They were all to one station iirc

Oh, you can sell exploration data to specific factions? Or is it a case of handing it in at a station / system run by that faction?

(will admit to not being fully up to speed on factions yet)

Oh, you can sell exploration data to specific factions? Or is it a case of handing it in at a station / system run by that faction?

(will admit to not being fully up to speed on factions yet)

Whoever runs the station gets all trade/data, bounty mostly goes to them unless its faction specific ie your killing wanted Faction As ship but Faction A runs the station. You get negative for that.

Sorry i should have been clearer,i sold the exploration data in the system that party of yoru were the controlling faction but i didnt like the missions from that station. Local states can dictate the mission boards. So i jumped one system over to a sytem that had party of yoru as a faction,just not as a controlling faction and took missions from them there as in that station they had missions i was looking for.

Sorry i should have been clearer,i sold the exploration data in the system that party of yoru were the controlling faction but i didnt like the missions from that station. Local states can dictate the mission boards. So i jumped one system over to a sytem that had party of yoru as a faction,just not as a controlling faction and took missions from them there as in that station they had missions i was looking for.

That will count towards Yoru rank then, killing Yoru ships in a Haz rez will undo that tho.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    That will count towards Yoru rank then, killing Yoru ships in a Haz rez will undo that tho.

Yep,and the way elite works all the ships worth killing will be from party of yoru the minute you go to a rez for the rep:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement