Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elite: Dangerous

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

Jesus I feel like a complete idiot. I bought a new power distributor and multicannon for my Eagle and wondered why the hell my other systems would shut down when deploying weapons.

I was mixing up the power distributor with the power plant. :o Be careful out there, folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Exploration is certainly lucrative right now. With just the basic scanner I went to Meliae, dropped out of FS by the star, ran a scan, and sold the data at the local outpost for 12,800 credits.

I see a lot of "high speed FSD wake" items showing up on the contacts tab too. Nice to know you can track players jumping around the place.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Had a strange mission last night - had to transport some liquor to Beagle 2 Landing. Got there and docked no problem but the mission didn't appear in the list to complete. Checked my cargo which said the liquor was stolen, no black market at that port to sell it on either. So I eventually left and on exiting the port I was scanned and fined for carrying stolen goods. Confused as to how I was supposed to complete that mission??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I've had problems getting a docking request granted but no problems completing missions. I just browse to the bulletin board and the handover appears as an option at the top. Did the mission still appear in your mission list on the left hand panel?

I've had problems getting a docking request granted but no problems completing missions. I just browse to the bulletin board and the handover appears as an option at the top. Did the mission still appear in your mission list on the left hand panel?

No, the mission disappeared from the left panel and wasn't listed at the top where missions to complete are. I never got scanned on entering the port and was cleared for docking no problem. Other than the usual entering/exiting supercruise lag I get there were no crashes or anything. Was able to do a biowaste transport mission afterwards so maybe just a glitch of some sort rather than me doing something wrong. :)

Maybe the mission timer ran out? I abandoned a similar mission before and the stuff I was carrying became stolen.

Sarky wrote: »
    Maybe the mission timer ran out? I abandoned a similar mission before and the stuff I was carrying became stolen.

Actually that might be it! Seem to remember it was a short mission alright, 11 minutes or something. I did have the option to jetison the liquor but thought it unwise to do that while docked. :pac: Might see if I can find somewhere to sell it now, try and make back some of that fine.

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I've been looking at getting one of these. Thrustmaster-T-16000M Absolute noob when it comes to joysticks so not sure whats good.

I do know I'm not paying over 60 quid for one :pac:

I've seen that one recommended several places for flight sims as the best one stick solution, if you're not going for a HOTAS setup (this is for consumer level stuff as opposed to enthusiast stuff that makes the Warthog look cheap).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BigP

Folks, does anyone know how to display fps when using the oculus rift? Tried ctrl + f to no avail. Tried fraps - works fine when playing on monitor but nada when in the rift.
    Having juddering issues and would like to know if my gfx card is struggling.

You won't be able to see it in the rift. I used msi afterburner and logged FPS to a text file so I could look at the values afterwards.

For the rift I set my main screen to a resolution that supports 75Hz (1024xsomething or other) and then launch the game. I also set windows power options to high performance and used a core unparking tool to make sure there are no delays with the CPU. I'm not sure if it is high performance or core unparking that is helping but it seems to make a difference. I still get some judder and momentary loss of tracking though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Does anyone know how scanning works for exploration, or have a link ot a good guide? I loaded up the Beta last night and was mucking around with exploring. In the starting ship, I sold off the weapons and shield generator to lower my mass and increase my jump distance. While piddling around with the modules on the right-hand console, I accidentally put my D-scanner into a fire-group and so my trigger now starts a scan.

Now, I'm not sure if this is right or not, but my understanding is that when you jump into a system and the star is unregistered, it'll come up as unknown. You target it and face it, and it scans automatically. I then trigger my D-Scanner, which lists other unknown system objects which I can then travel to and scan as I did with the star.

So is that what I'm meant to be doing? I know you can get a planet scanner which gives a more detailed scan of planets and so your credit reward is higher. Does the planet scanner replace the D-Scanner, or do you use the D-Scanner to find planets, then use the planet scanner instead of the usual target and auto scan above (or is it just the auto scan again)?

And is there different values put on scanning different objects?

Pretty much. I got about 800c for just scanning the system I tried it out with, but after travelling to and identifying all the unknown objects, the data was worth nearly 13K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

New docking computer, best purchase ive ever made...:)

Also what happens to your old ship and addons when you purchase a new one??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sarky having my cheap HOTAS set-up is the only thing saving me the extra 20 quid beta would cost. :P (not asking for it back! thinking about a nicer HOTAS set-up :))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

played the beta for a bit, kind of boring but loads of features not in it yet so won't judge.

my main concern is the vast amount of systems (400 billion!!), couldn't you be traveling for years and not ever see another player?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

froog wrote: »
    played the beta for a bit, kind of boring but loads of features not in it yet so won't judge.

my main concern is the vast amount of systems (400 billion!!), couldn't you be traveling for years and not ever see another player?
    Just.

Like.

Reality.

:D

froog wrote: »

Technically, yes. Right now though, there are something like 500 systems, and everyone starts off around Eranin. Still plenty of people to bump into

Glebee wrote: »
    New docking computer, best purchase ive ever made...:)

Also what happens to your old ship and addons when you purchase a new one??

Does the docking computer just auto-request docking or actually fly you in and dock automatically? Was going to buy one but wasn't sure what it does exactly.

The value of your current ship and upgrades are offset against the price of the new one. Currently you can only have one ship so make sure you're happy to upgrade. I decided to just upgrade my Eagle rather than switch to a Viper etc.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Does the docking computer just auto-request docking or actually fly you in and dock automatically? Was going to buy one but wasn't sure what it does exactly.

The value of your current ship and upgrades are offset against the price of the new one. Currently you can only have one ship so make sure you're happy to upgrade. I decided to just upgrade my Eagle rather than switch to a Viper etc.

Docking computer flies you in and lands automatically.

Upgraded to eagle but reset back to sidewinder, too like cargo space for me:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

I'm really not liking the shift in pricing. Finding decent armaments that are affordable is proving impossible and I'm left chipping away at ships with my loaned pulse lasers. In fact, I haven't seen any kind of non-gimballed or turret pulse laser so far.

Missiles are now unguided so I was both surprised and horrified to find that out when I loaded up my shiny Cobra MKIII (which devours fuel and costs a fortune to run because of it) and attempted to do some combat missions in Eranin.

Stations barely have any commodities to trade, except those with extremely low margins which also makes completing some of the missions a complete pain (Oh, Aulin trades in consumer technology? Funny, they never have any).

Am I just doing something wrong here?

Docking computer flies you in and lands automatically.

Upgraded to eagle but reset back to sidewinder, too like cargo space for me:o

Ooh I might have to re-think the docking computer so. Although I do like flying in manually to help improve the flying skills. I have a dodgy habit of boosting out of stations just as I'm getting near the exit - that's going to bite me in the ass one of these days. :pac:

Yeah I bought an extra cargo rack which brought the cargo space up to 6, still tiny but 2 more than the Sidewinder. Slightly better jump distance too. Also upgraded the Power Dist, FSD, military grade bulkhead, and have 2 gimbal low heat burst lasers and a gimbal multi-cannon on top. Turned off the Cargo Hatch module to save a little on power consumption and just saving up now to try and buy a new Power Plant if I can find one. Aulin Enterprise seems to have decent stock on upgrades for me so far.

Getting quite attached to the ship now. :)

I'm really not liking the shift in pricing. Finding decent armaments that are affordable is proving impossible and I'm left chipping away at ships with my loaned pulse lasers. In fact, I haven't seen any kind of non-gimballed or turret pulse laser so far.

Missiles are now unguided so I was both surprised and horrified to find that out when I loaded up my shiny Cobra MKIII (which devours fuel and costs a fortune to run because of it) and attempted to do some combat missions in Eranin.

Stations barely have any commodities to trade, except those with extremely low margins which also makes completing some of the missions a complete pain (Oh, Aulin trades in consumer technology? Funny, they never have any).

Am I just doing something wrong here?

Check out aulin enterprise station for weapons. I picked up cheap use gimballed lasers there.

So I bought that docking computer last night, replacing a cargo rack (2 spaces), unless I'm doing something wrong I wasn't all that impressed. Docking on outposts takes ages, I had to slow to a halt and hover over the landing pad before it takes over and rotates the ship all over the place before descending. Tried it at a space port and it parked me outside the entrance in a queue - I then started getting loitering warnings! :pac: Turned it off and docked manually. Think I'll probably buy back the extra cargo space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Not played for a while so wanted to start from scratch. (had done very little anyway)

Logged in and cleared my save but it didn't work. I kept logging into my old session. Any ideas anyone? Is there a way to manually clear it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

so I took the plunge.

Coming out of frame shift is taking ages though. Kinda ruining it for me. Any ideas?

• Advertisement

Noxin wrote: »
    Not played for a while so wanted to start from scratch. (had done very little anyway)

Logged in and cleared my save but it didn't work. I kept logging into my old session. Any ideas anyone? Is there a way to manually clear it?

Not sure if there is a way to manually delete your save, I know ED stores some files locally (C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\) like you control bindings, but not sure about the save game. I would have thought that might be saved in the cloud somewhere.

There's also a Self Destruct option in the right panel, I think at the bottom of Functions. Maybe try that?
    Zulu wrote: »
    so I took the plunge.

Coming out of frame shift is taking ages though. Kinda ruining it for me. Any ideas?

It's the same for me, well 'ages' as in anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds. Just got used to it by now. Looks like you've gone well passed your target but still pop out infront of it. Presumably it's just an issue with the beta.

I think there were some server problems last night. every system I went to had the planets and stars marked as unknown and I was getting stuck coming out of hyperspace (had to alt-f4).

I reckon they were making changes as it was the most smooth it has ever been while playing with the Oculus Rift.

Aye, some issues cropping up in the last day or two. I got stuck in the jump drive section between stars, had to force quit. Last night frameshift was well dingy, even ctd coming out of it once. Hopefully there'll be a mini update to stabilise that stuff before Beta 3.

Excellent news! And it's out at 11:50 BST, not long to wait so! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Just pre-ordered the Mercenary edition, Yay me:D

They weren't kidding when they said they were focusing on waiting times. Frameshift or hyperdrive jumps are not quite seamless now, but they're vastly improved to the point where it's not a significant issue.

Got lucky with a couple of high-reward trade runs, so I thought I'd splash out on an Eagle with twin cannons and a pulse laser turret. Not so great with cargo, but should pack a nice punch so I can try my hand at a bit of bounty hunting. I haven't accepted any kill missions yet, do they provide any more details at all as to where the target might be? Searching a whole solar system would be pretty time consuming...

Also found out that the D-scanner doesn't always get everything. On a return trip to Melieae (sp?) I saw one star in the background moving during a FS trip. Turned out to be a ringed gas giant with resource extraction site, and from there the scanner picked up another 3 moons. Probably best to run the scanner every time you get near a new planet for the first time.

Yeah it's must faster when exiting Hyperdrive now. Using an Eagle too with some upgrades. Found my way out to the Arcturas system, just wanted to see how big it was. :pac:

Mainly just doing trade missions and some kills from those 'Unidentified Sources'. Finally spotted a Power Plant upgrade for 160k in Schottky Port I think it's called (LHS 411) - so went and saved up the final 60k for it. Got back to the station only to find it was gone. No idea why. :mad:

Also, they need to allow you to open the Galaxy map while in the Bulletin Board, silly having to come back out then in when checking missions and distances etc.

Can't wait for Beta 3 in a few weeks.

Must saw this is shaping up very nicely. Whats the release date for this.

Just got my first bounty hunter kill:) Do I need to get a different scanner to be able to scan systems or can I do it with the standard scanner I have on board...

The d-scanner you get as standard works grand. You can get more data (and hence more money) by using more and better scanners.

Sarky wrote: »
    The d-scanner you get as standard works grand. You can get more data (and hence more money) by using more and better scanners.

Cheers, does it work automatically or do you have to us it??

Needs to be assigned a fire group and used. It works while you're in supercruise as well, which is fairly handy.

Newsletter #44 is out. Multiple ship ownership confirmed for Beta 3 (28th Oct). That's going to be a great feature, having multiple ships with different load-outs spread out in different locations. :cool:

Anyone taking screenshots of their travels? Took a few this evening (click for full size).

K5FiUGXl.png

kcB43Pol.png

Never noticed the little trucks driving around inside the stations:

s6foKKul.png

0VsLKsFl.png

2AIUcmvl.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Anyone taking screenshots of their travels? Took a few this evening (click for full size).
    SNIPPED
    Never noticed the little trucks driving around inside the stations:

SNIPPED

Very nice! So tempted by this game, but not much time at the moment.

That Pirate station looks cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Game wont start for me today. Anyone else experiencing this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Nice pics Andrew76, can't wait to get this game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Think I've finally managed to reset my save. Does this no longer clear the player stats?
    Is the starting location in a station now instead of dead space like it used to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving it. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to come out of hyperspace that doesn't land you so close to the sun of the system you are entering? I came out of hyperspace last night pretty much on top of the sun, I got kicked out of super cruise for being too close and when I re-entered super cruise, I couldn't locate the escape vector to escape the sun and burned up!

Also, are ships/money/inventory wiped during beta updates? Will there be a reset/wipe when it goes from beta to full release?

Noxin wrote: »
    Think I've finally managed to reset my save. Does this no longer clear the player stats?
    Is the starting location in a station now instead of dead space like it used to be?

Not sure if resetting clears the stats, I've only needed to use it once thankfully.

Yep you start off in a station with open play or solo.
    Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I picked this up a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving it. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to come out of hyperspace that doesn't land you so close to the sun of the system you are entering? I came out of hyperspace last night pretty much on top of the sun, I got kicked out of super cruise for being too close and when I re-entered super cruise, I couldn't locate the escape vector to escape the sun and burned up!

Also, are ships/money/inventory wiped during beta updates? Will there be a reset/wipe when it goes from beta to full release?

Since I've been playing you've always come out of hyperspace very close to the star - as soon as you come out just roll + pitch up so you're aiming outside of that yellow circle around the star (I think it signifies the area where you're mass locked?). You don't get long to do iirc.

Ship & credits were wiped going from Beta 1 to 2. I'm guessing it might again with Beta 3 since they are introducing multiple ship ownership among other things. I read that there would definitely be a wipe before full release - not sure if it's before or after the Gamma release (last release before full).

Tempted to pick up a Hauler ship. Is it work it for making money trading..??

Tempted to pick up a Hauler ship. Is it work it for making money trading..??

Succumbed to temptation and signed up over the weekend, having great fun doing missions withe odd dog fight.

From what I've read, this version of the beta is geared towards testing the missions, so I'd stay away from buying commodities for trade and do the courier and freight missions instead.

Although, as mentioned above, they're doing wipes after each beta, so amassing a fortune may lead to sorrow later :)

Personally, I'm doing courier missions to start with. This will eventually allow me to purchase something a bit more aggressive.

Then I'm just going to have some fun with the combat oriented missions and learn to dogfight. Those skills will survive a wipe!

Jayd0g wrote: »
    Although, as mentioned above, they're doing wipes after each beta, so amassing a fortune may lead to sorrow later :)

Personally, I'm doing courier missions to start with. This will eventually allow me to purchase something a bit more aggressive.

Then I'm just going to have some fun with the combat oriented missions and learn to dogfight. Those skills will survive a wipe!

True, no point earning a small fortune for it to disappear on next beta..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 BigP

BigP wrote: »
    Folks, does anyone know how to display fps when using the oculus rift? Tried ctrl + f to no avail. Tried fraps - works fine when playing on monitor but nada when in the rift.
    Having juddering issues and would like to know if my gfx card is struggling.

If anyone else is looking to display FPS in the rift, I ended up using the Rivatuner statistics software that comes with MSI afterburner. Works quite nicely.

Turns out I was getting ~35 FPS in stations with graphics quality set to low with my old HD 7870. One GTX 970 later and I can run med-high graphics levels and maintain 75 FPS. No judder and tracking is super smooth. What an experience. Might give supersampling a go next.

Advertisement