Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elite: Dangerous

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Alpha Tips:

Step 1 get turn back on power missions
    Step 2 sell the regulator you get to the barman/lady
    Repeat that a few times and buy the Maverick Suit and AR

Only take missions to these places (others are 150k ls away
    • Ameziane Landing
    • Boumal Synthetics
    • Bray Military Armoury
    • Brownlie's Creations
    • Bukenya Military Expedition
    • Castro Manufacturing
    • Cuktemane Genetics
    • Desai Military Hub
    • Farias Botanical Site
    • Feoktistov Mine
    • Hou Synthetics
    • Kenyatta Hydroponics
    • Konscak Penal Colony (city)
    • Lawler Camp
    • Maldonado Analytics
    • Morales Commando Garrison
    • Navarrete's Fortress
    • Parry Holdings
    • Povaly's Arsenal
    • Savko's Honour
    • Watanabe Biochemicals
    • Wei Biochemical Enterprise
    • Yeon Munitions Installation

If anyone figures out how to complete most of the missions let us know :D

Support missions:
    You need the Maverick suit for the cutter (keybinding 5 Suit tool), its possible without (I like this part). Find the PWR building, cut the metal grate from under the access pad and power with your engery charger (Key binding 3)
    Go insire insert regulator into slot and power on building, leave the area.

Combat Missions:
    Get wrecked by NPCs constantly.

Retreive from Empty Settlement (rarely empty;) )
    Go to the HAB building and power up a terminal (key binding 3) mission will say item is in Container 9, on terminal search for container 9 and get PIN code, go to box (you can mark it from the terminal) open box get item and leave the area.

Steal ID or download:
    Go to settlement, sneak around and try scan what you supposed to scan a person or item and get out alive, good luck with that.

You can loot everything from using a combination of the above mission techniques. Also the cutter can make all the other missions a tiny bit easier as you can open most doors, some need access clearance which can be gained by scanning a gaurd or scientist without them seeing you.

Will add the others as i figure them out, no idea how to charge my suit.
    • Threat level is meaningless, if you arrive to a threat 0 (lol) and there are Commandos there you gonna get wrecked.
    • Take millions of missions no penalty for abandoning them and you cant see on the mission screen that its 150k ls away, so take loads and only fly to the ones close by.
    • Different types of stations have different layouts (all the same stuff but laid out different)
    • Tonnes of ammo and meds and grenades lying about on missions, dont waste money on them.
    • Sell everything you find, no crafting or upgrading suits/weapons yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

New stuff looks kinda interesting. I might have to fire the game up again. Only problem is that I changed hard drives recently and Elite is still on my old one. Can I just transfer the files over to the new drive instead of D/L everything again?

ED is 20gb , Odyssey is 60GB.

If its steam you can point Steam to multiple libraries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

dreamers75 wrote: »
    ED is 20gb , Odyssey is 60GB.

If its steam you can point Steam to multiple libraries.

Hang on. I'm a little out of the loop with Elite as I haven't touched it in a couple of years.

So...Odyssey is just an update to Elite Dangerous right? It's not a new game or anything?

And, it's a 60gb download? Does that include any of the old game files?

Also, I don't have the Steam version. I have the standalone. But I just want to move the main files across from my old Win 7 HDD to the new Win 10 HDD, so I don't lose all my filthy lucre and my Anaconda.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I could be wrong but at the moment I think Odyssey is basically a standalone. It's only in alhpa yet though, I presume it will be getting integrated to the main game in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mairon

Odyssey is an expansion, a big one at that, so will operate in the same way that Horizons did when it came out. People without Odyssey will get the nice graphics update from it but without any of the additional content, eg Space Legs

Phase 2 of the Alpha is this week.

Most likely thursday.

WQQm6vg.png

Phase 2 live
    Greetings commanders!

Thank you all for the excellent and valuable feedback you have provided during Phase 1 of the Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Alpha. We have been collecting your comments and sharing them with our development team. We are excited to announce Phase 2 will start TODAY at 14:00 BST/13:00 UTC.

Phase 2 will include the following:
    A new starting system: Nervi
    Starting credits 300,000 for new Commanders. This will also be added to existing Alpha Commanders’ balances.
    A Cobra ship with multi-crew seat free to every Commander
    Expanded playable galaxy to approximately 20LY
    Conflict Zones on foot are now playable
    New suit available for purchase: Dominator
    A number of reported issues from Phase 1 have been resolved or addressed for this build. Please note that these are not ALL of the reported issues or fixes from Phase 1.

Fixes/resolutions:
    New starting system and ship ownership should alleviate long travel times
    Issue fixed where players reported getting stuck in front of Vendor
    Added extra mission information, such as travel distance and pre-requisites, to further improve the player experience
    Fixed a few issues where mission objectives would not clear, or would not be displayed/initiated
    Fixed the issue where missions were not displaying the correct threat levels
    Adjusted fire area of effect causing players to receive fire damage through walls and ceilings
    Pressing escape after booking APEX will no longer leave players ‘stuck’ at the counter
    Reboot/restore mission will now provide players with the Power Regulators if required
    Suit and weapon upgrades fixed
    System map should now open at the correct speed
    Fixed graphical issues experienced when entering and leaving ‘local map’ on foot
    Players can now pay fines and bounties via starport services and the authority contact
    Adjusted crime detection and consequences for all activities.

WE NEED YOUR HELP

In Phase 2, players may experience ‘Orange Sidewinder’ whilst in physical multi-crew, when flying to destinations or dropping into/out of supercruise/glide. This is a major bug that we are aware of, but need your help to fully investigate. Please ensure, when reporting this issue, you provide as much detail as possible. As always, thank you for your support.

Known Issues
    Players will experience a crash when inviting others to ‘Teams’ whilst on foot – hotfix imminent
    Whilst on foot, players unable to select a side in a Conflict Zone via their Comms panel – this is not an issue if players use Frontline Solutions, or select a side whilst still in their ship
    In Conflict Zones, Victory credits shown are incorrect (too low)
    When in ‘Teams’ and in a hangar, players may experience ‘invisible’ host ship
    Player models may move through counters if sprinting, when they interact with a vendor or terminal
    Collection mission objective may only update for one person in the instance
    When in the 'Long distance planner', selecting your ship and moving around the galaxy UI will soft-lock the player upon exiting
    Unable to meet up: If you are having issues meeting up, return to the front end and try again
    Oculus Rift HMD does not display the game
    When a crime has been cleared, it is still shown in the authority contact at the social space terminal
    ‘Complete Missions' button may not work at station terminals
    Players may find that selecting to transfer consumables from the ship's inventory does not work

Phase 3 on Thursday.

Still a few hiccups but on the most part things are working.

I dont expect a fully fleshed out game in Alpha so will reserve full judgement for now.

BUT if I was a new player playing this for the 1st time "backwards" its the greatest space game ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

_CreeD_ wrote: »

:D:D

You can punch an Anaconda to death too :eek:

https://twitter.com/EliteDangerous/status/1385217108842270730

Thats not a lot of time tbh unless the alpha is indicative of planned release :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Wonder what bugs will be in this alpha that will still be in the game 2 years from now:P

I didn't bother with the alpha because I felt it would be poor quality and I believe full release will have issues too.

Even the console launch in September(if it doesn't get pushed back) will be ropey I reckon.

Frontier are very slow to patch things. Hopefully I'm wrong though

EoinHef wrote: »
    Wonder what bugs will be in this alpha that will still be in the game 2 years from now:P

I didn't bother with the alpha because I felt it would be poor quality and I believe full release will have issues too.

Played a good chunk of it and altho will reserve full judgement, i cant say its meh because its not but I have 1102 hours in the game as it is so playing odyssey it was a bit meh :D:D:D

But not for bad reasons lol this will make sense when you play it especially if you have a Corvette/Cutter, killed all the aliens, have all the g5 stuff on everything, visited colonia, did the gaurdian stuff....basically did everything. For instance I play FPS games most nights in some form and without engineered g5 guns, I could take an entire conflict zone and only die because heal is fiddly on keyboard, any half decent FPS player will slaughter the conflict zones, any player who has no intention of getting out of their ship wont bother. They made it hard for people who never play FPS games but its not really hard regardless of the AI level.

But if i never played ED and this is how I started from the feet up, it is the greatest game ever made....
    kdjac — 04/14/2021
    if you brainwipe yourself and play Elite from the feet upwards, its technically the best space game ever.

Played a good chunk of it and altho will reserve full judgement, i cant say its meh because its not but I have 1102 hours in the game as it is so playing odyssey it was a bit meh :D:D:D

But not for bad reasons lol this will make sense when you play it especially if you have a Corvette/Cutter, killed all the aliens, have all the g5 stuff on everything, visited colonia, did the gaurdian stuff....basically did everything. For instance I play FPS games most nights in some form and without engineered g5 guns, I could take an entire conflict zone and only die because heal is fiddly on keyboard, any half decent FPS player will slaughter the conflict zones, any player who has no intention of getting out of their ship wont bother. They made it hard for people who never play FPS games but its not really hard regardless of the AI level.

But if i never played ED and this is how I started from the feet up, it is the greatest game ever made....

I'm excited to play it but at the same time I'm trying to keep my expectations in check and be realistic.

Thats one of the reasons I didn't bother with the alpha,when I do play it id like it to be the best version it can be by release because again I believe it will launch rough and there will be issues. Hopefully better than the alpha but that release date makes me think its gonna be pretty similar just with server and instance issues on top:P

I'll get it day one on console as myself and a friend have probably put 1000+ hours into the game there. He also would have no one else to play it with if I stopped playing there.

• Advertisement

Final phase live now, is anyone playing it ? Interested to know how far a corvette can blind fire incendaries from 10km away from a conflict zone (ground bases have same no fire zone as space stations).

Imo I think it would work similiar to how a AC130 works in real life :D:pac:
    The following features will also become available:
    Wing Missions / Ship Depot
    Powerplay
    Tech Brokers
    Search and Rescue contacts
    Research Station services contacts

This phase will close on 5 May, allowing the development team to receive feedback, collect data, and make adjustments. Once the phase ends, the alpha will close so this is your last chance to play Odyssey until launch! Note that any progress made in the alpha will not carry over to the live game.

Fixes​
    Various stability and crash fixes.
    Fixed missing mission hand-in icons.
    Fixed an issue with mission hand-in not working for some mission types.
    Fixed a softlock in the quick comms panel.
    Fixed an issue with Conflict Zone scores failing to update.
    Fixed a disconnect when recalling a ship at a Conflict Zone.
    Fixed a softlock when navigating the Black Market contact's UI using a keyboard.
    Fixed an issue with items not appearing in players' inventories correctly.
    The Apply and Cancel buttons are no longer partially cut off at the bottom of the screen in the Settings Menu.
    Locations on the Galaxy Map can now be selected without plotting a course.
    NPCs should no longer mumble/be inaudible.
    A connection error when landing at settlements in a Conflict state was fixed.
    An issue with the Oculus Rift HMD not displaying Odyssey was fixed.
    An issue with the "Complete Mission" button not working at station terminals was fixed.
    An issue with Frontline Solutions dropships attempting to dock at Conflict Zones was fixed.
    An issue with organics displaying as "Insufficient Diversity" rather than "Already Sampled" was fixed.

All Elite Dangerous: Odyssey players will gain access to the new features, including planetary improvements, enhanced lighting, and textures. The differences will mean that Elite Dangerous: Horizons players cannot share a gameplay session with those playing Odyssey. However, Odyssey owners will be able to share a session with and play with those in Horizons by launching the game in Horizons mode – though if they do this, they will temporarily not have access to the new Odyssey features.

Outrage!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Outrage!!!!

That's ridiculous.. basically they've turned it into a standalone mod/game that's incompatible with the existing version :rolleyes:

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That's ridiculous.. basically they've turned it into a standalone mod/game that's incompatible with the existing version :rolleyes:

I have no issue with that, bit crappy announcing it a week before release tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

This is what happens when traditional business model meets GAAS. It's probably way too much work to try and make them work seamlessly together.

• Advertisement

This is what happens when traditional business model meets GAAS. It's probably way too much work to try and make them work seamlessly together.

Kinda the opposite the last "season" of Elite was 5 DLCs, they stated they moving back to the traditional model for Odyssey and beyond. As in they will be complete DLCs rather than a season of drops.

I personally cant see all the alleged features dropping next week, on foot Thargoids, Panther Clipper, Alien motherships, new SRVs etc

I guess I'm old if DLC which causes player split and online/GAAS is considered traditional.

Typical Frontier tbh,they just don't do things the way other devs do.

I would have to be hard pushed to call Beyond a season,other devs would call it bug fixing.

Not to bothered about the split of those with and without Odyssey,the base game which now includes Horizons can be got for less than €10 on sale. So I'd view Odyssey as almost the base going forward. Wouldnt be surprised to see the base game and horizons merged into Odyssey down the road aswell so you just buy one thing.

I do wonder how they would get players to choose what to launch on console givin there is no launcher there.

Frontier have a strange way of doing things alright, actually looking forward to the release even if it will be space but somehow ****ing harder :pac:

Can see so many oppurtunities for base shenagigans with a wing.

Spent the last few days farming mats in the crystal forests so pretty full on everything atm.

What you can and cant do with peasantsHorizon owners. :pac:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/horizons-odyssey-compatibility-further-details.575005/?fbclid=IwAR0qwSstC04m8pDUyIBcXe8rrwqzQ-Czz6C-2r09erjKwZ2HNLz15BOzpJA

has no effect on me or my squadron, we all have odyssey.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Dammit think I'll dust off my HOTAS and buy this. Looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Just picked up a TrackIR system. Looking forward to cutting it's teeth on this one.

Maximilian wrote: »
    Dammit think I'll dust off my HOTAS and buy this. Looks good.

The on foot Conflict Zones are ridiculously easy for anyone who has played an FPS before (they were in the alpha). Literally dont bother with capping zones, just murder everyone.

100% servers will be borked tonight at 6pm and with no preload could be a while before anyone gets in.
    Just picked up a TrackIR system. Looking forward to cutting it's teeth on this one.

If you drink beer a lot whilst playing, everyone playing with you, will know this :pac::pac:

new launch trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

so i logged in last night havent played the game in years and i have a federal assault ship, and i dont really know what to do i re done the tutorial and i see you get an auto option for docking and super cruising to a location now, is this default for everything now ? i really hate that mini game to drop into your destination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Lone Stone wrote: »
    so i logged in last night havent played the game in years and i have a federal assault ship, and i dont really know what to do i re done the tutorial and i see you get an auto option for docking and super cruising to a location now, is this default for everything now ? i really hate that mini game to drop into your destination
    They're both optional modules in your ship, the tradeoff is they both take up a slot that a more useful module can be put in instead.

• Advertisement

i did the landfall tutorial thing, was fun really adds a lot to the game. anyway went to my ship after that walked out onto the station to look at my ship woo was a cool experience then i disconnected and havent been able to get back on since.

Servers died (shocked) but back online after about 2 hours.

Runs perfectly for me, lots of new little things that were not in the alpha.

From reading reddit/Discord it seems a lot of people were playing this game on potatoes and struggling to run it at acceptable framerates, never understood that if you are going to play PC games play them at High to ultra settings, if not get a console (they can be just as good)

Game has a new all time players (on steam, assume its more than the stated 25k with Frontier and Epic players).

I am at LTT 2151 getting my 10 CZ to unlock the 1st engineer.

yea i was on a bit late last night, ran out of fuel lol eh ... lost in space im actually going to restart because i havent a clue what im doing anymore.

Lone Stone wrote: »
    yea i was on a bit late last night, ran out of fuel lol eh ... lost in space im actually going to restart because i havent a clue what im doing anymore.

You can be saved, are you in Open or Solo or Private? Ran out of fuel a few times myself.

https://fuelrats.com/

These dudes or anyone really can come save you with fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭CiboC

I'm out in the black and had one or two odd issues with it:

1 - I took along a VIP passenger to help fund my exploration trip, I'm nearly at the destination (about 20k ly from Sol). Had a minor panic attack when I started Odyssey and my passenger was gone! No active mission listed, no passenger there, nothing! I started under Horizon again and he was back, so I'll just have to remember to do that when I get to the destination point...

2 - Navigation with neutron star boost has either changed or is borked. Under Horizon you supercharged, selected your next neutron star as a destination and the navigation would work it out. Under Odyssey using the same process gives you a 'no route possible' message. You can still use your boost but you have to manually select the next neutron star, if it's still further than your boosted jump range you have to find a star in the right direction that is as close as possible to your max jump range without being over, and use that instead. The automatic routing does not work (or has changed and I haven't figured it out yet!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I didn't play the Odyssey Alpha but picked it up yesterday, will give it a go tonight but tbh I'm kinda skeptical about how well it will integrate with the standard space mode. Still if nothing else it's another excuse to dive back in.

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    I didn't play the Odyssey Alpha but picked it up yesterday, will give it a go tonight but tbh I'm kinda skeptical about how well it will integrate with the standard space mode. Still if nothing else it's another excuse to dive back in.

This.

Its brilliant I was never into Space leg just wanted more content,now with legs they gave it in an ED sort of way.

I am having little to issues with running it unlike Reddit :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Simple question - Is the expansion worth it?

• Advertisement

Simple question - Is the expansion worth it?

Thats not a simple question :D

If you want more things to do then yes, basically its an entirely new game.

Its ED and legs stuff is equally as hard as ship stuff with no apparent guides other than a short tutorial that explains like 10% of on foot stuff.

There are some issues my wing sorry team (wings are called teams now) are having instancing issues and connection issues (not a single player problem) There some "reasons" things happen that noone seems to understand or have figured out.

There are some bugs and FPS issues (I have a 3080 and it drops to 20fps only since last nights hot fix) other than that it was running grand and looks amazing.

So No wait for a few patches.

I love it I cant believe how wrong I was about this, its brilliant but stupidly ****ing hard and obtuse and no logic(that anyone has figured out) explains anything. I havent died in my ship in over 2 years, at least 20 deaths today and 2 of them due to bugs that cost me 110m in Cutter rebuys.

So ehh not a simple question :pac:

Cheers Dreamer... Will wait for a sale in a few months so :)

I took the plunge as I got it for less on a key site. Will try it out later tonight.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's a tenner off coupon on the epic store at the mo so can get it for 25 euro there if anyone is looking for it.

If anyone figures out how to ge Settlement Defense Schematics, could they let us know.

Need 15 and have no idea how or where to get them.

I'll try this again when the new PC arrives.

• Advertisement

If anyone figures out how to ge Settlement Defense Schematics, could they let us know.

Need 15 and have no idea how or where to get them.

Just on this by the nature of the datas name (Settlement Defense Schematics) you would assume you would find it on a data port in the main command post of a settement that has ehh defences? To me thats the logical place to find this, in almost all settlements there are data ports you can download things (cat pictures < seriously).

The majority of items downloaded count as a data material(for engineers or mission objective, I spent almost 2 days sneaking around high security settlements getting into the security room and scanning them looking for these Settlement Defense Schematics

Well I was wrong, you scan a planet and look for a human signal called Irregular Marker 3, go there fight the pirates, crack open the containers and find all the highest level materials you will need even Settlement Defense Schematics and then as ED wants relog and everything respawns (pirates) too.

ED>>Logic

I tried a little bit last night. I got some kind of tutorial mission which was good. But then that was it. Next I was back at the main menu and having to go into the game again. I started out in 40 Ceti where I'd last been some time last year. I was walking around the station and picked up a mission (a littler carelessly) that I only discovered later when I got back to the ship was on some planet 22,000 light years away. I had to cancel that one.

Next mission I paid more attention to the distance. Nearby system & to download something or other. Got to settlement and didn't really know where it was I was supposed to go. Some kind of power system schematic or data I think. So I went inside and started looking for a terminal. All NPC's kept saying "get away from here/me!" or something like that. Only in there a minute and then they start blasting. I also see them shooting my SRV. I try to retreat a bit in my SRV while being fired upon. Then I go to get out of my SRV and I just get a black screen. But I can hear the sound effects in the background. I press ESC and I get the menu. So eventually I just quit.

Not a great start and as confusing as ever! But graphics are nicer now and I think I can get into this. I'll just have to have Chrome open all the time to google absolutely everything as I happen upon it :)

Some tips:

NPCs have a sound/visual cone that alerts them to your presence, you really have to be patient as they have a routine. If you scan someone level 3 you can get in every door but if you are scanned with the cloned access, you dead. if they see you and they a scientist blast them with the oppressor it can kill in one shot to a sheidless person, 2 if they have a sheild up.

Weapons and suits, check every station for weapons/suits, you can buy grade 3 everything but there is no logic to it. If you see one for sale buy it.

Manticore Oppressor (DMR) and Tormentor(Magnum) are your go to weapons in the Maverick suit (the one with the door cutter) use this suit for infiltration and assasin missions.

Manticore Oppressor AR 50 (assault Rifle Kinetic) and Tormentor for the Dominator suit (the war suit) use this for conflict zones and exterminate missions, basically any mission you 100% sure you gonna fight the entire base.

If you have reconed a base and have a feeling there will be a battle, make sure you have an ammo pile/med pack/energy things close by.

Team up, all missions can be completed a lot easier if you have bait someone with you, game sometimes treats them as wanted but not you (doesnt work all of the time) There is no wing sharing anymore, both of you just get the same missions and if in the area when its complete it completes for both.

Get creative, if you have to kill someone and they in a building, cut the air supply from the roof (needs Arc Cutter). You can overload any door once the panel is off or use an E breach if you have one.

You need 10 on CZ for the 1st engineer.
    You need to travel 100LY in an Apex Shuttle for another.
    You need 10 Restore Power missions for another.

They then want an additional item to unlock the next one, all the items can be found in the irregular marker 3 or via mission rewards or if lucky in one of the containers in a settlement, locked ones have the best gear.

Engineering is weird, your suit needs to a high grade (which is random and only g3s are being seen) then you need a mental amount of new materials to craft the mod.

3rd "hot fix" out today.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-odyssey-update-1.578613/

Just the 200 odd fixes :eek::eek:

Is this REALLY the mess the Steam reviews are suggesting it is?

• Advertisement
Advertisement