Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo 1 -4 coming to xbox one

Options
  • 17-05-2014 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Halo: The Master Chief Collection has reportedly been revealed for Xbox One.

According to a report from Engadget, the Master Chief Collection will include remastered versions of Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 4 and will be out this year.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection may aim to refresh gamers' memories about Master Chief in advance of Halo 5: Guardians, which was announced today. As such, it doesn't look like Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach will be included.

Microsoft has not confirmed the project. It's still unknown who's developing, the resolution and frame rate, or if the collection will release on other platforms.

As we learn more about Halo: The Master Chief Collection we'll be sure to let you know.

Check out Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary for some idea of what what to expect graphically in the Master Chief Collection.

Confirmed on twitter. I also just bought an xbox one. Wasn't what I expected to get me to buy one :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

These new consoles with all their power and we get downloadable HD covers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Damn, I really like ODST and Halo Reach was the highpoint in the series for me so far.
    That said, it looks just fine on my 360, I don't see any reason to buy them all over again.
    None of the HD remasters I have invested in over the years have been played, so I don't imagine this would be any different.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

*yawn*

Translation: We're desperate for content for this console and we have no ideas...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

This is getting pathetic, it should be illegal to prevent people from using games they have already purchased to just sell it to them again.. (preventing backwards compatibility to sell the games to us again)

How gaming has "evolved" saddens me to no end..

Stop buying this shit you muppets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

More tepid response than I expected :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Probably not for people who have already played/owned Halo. Mainly for people who want to jump ship so they can catch up. Similar to The Last of Us and inevitable Uncharted HDer remaster.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

This would actually make me more likely to pick up the One. I won't, yet, but when i get one eventually i'll definitely pick this up. Shame Reach isn't included.

Supposedly the reason reach and ODST aren't included is cos its the 'master chief collection'

When in reality it's just so they can release another version a few months down the line with them both included.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kiith wrote: »
    When in reality it's just so they can release another version a few months down the line with them both included.

The "I can't believe you bought the last one so we're going to change selling it to you again" edition.
    I wonder what the multiplayer content will be like and will that wind up being the major selling point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Ex big Halo fan here.....

Pinch of salt with this one I would say, I can't see them remaking Halo 3 tbh, anyone who had a 360 is hardly gonna buy it again - they can't touch that game!

Halo 2 anniversary yes but Halo 3 is a doubt to me....

I think 3 is what 6 or 7 years old now?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Ex big Halo fan here.....

Pinch of salt with this one I would say, I can't see them remaking Halo 3 tbh, anyone who had a 360 is hardly gonna buy it again - they can't touch that game!

Halo 2 anniversary yes but Halo 3 is a doubt to me....

I think 3 is what 6 or 7 years old now?

Its already been confirmed on twitter so I believe.

At least if this was something like Uncharted being updated you know damn weel that Sony would have the set on sale for under 10 euro within a year but Microsoft will keep the download version priced at 50 or 60 for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

nix wrote: »
    This is getting pathetic, it should be illegal to prevent people from using games they have already purchased to just sell it to them again.. (preventing backwards compatibility to sell the games to us again)

There not preventing backward compatibility.... The current gen consoles moved to x86-64 processor architecture from the previous gens power pc architecture. It would take huge amount of work to get an emulators up and running to get last gen games to work.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for the current gen to be backward compatible, but no one is purposefully disabling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

How gaming has "evolved" saddens me to no end..

Stop buying this shit you muppets!
    Given the completely different shift in system architecture both Sony and MS used, there was no way to add backwards compatibility unless you added the PS3 or 360 chips into the new systems, which would've added €100-€200 extra on top.

Would you be willing to pay for it?

I'd doubt it, especially considering only a small minority end up using BC long term.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

From the microsoft leak in January, it looks like this will include the remastered version of Halo 1, a new remastered version of Halo 2, and mere ports of Halo 3 and Halo 4.

The special edition includes Halo 5 beta access.

See here.

In fairness, this is Neogaf, so take with a pinch of salt. It's also got an awful lot of things right so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

cloud493 wrote: »
    Its already been confirmed on twitter so I believe.

Link to the tweet?

Polygon or IGN don't have confirmation yet seemingly....

CatInABox wrote: »
    From the microsoft leak in January, it looks like this will include the remastered version of Halo 1, a new remastered version of Halo 2, and mere ports of Halo 3 and Halo 4.

The special edition includes Halo 5 beta access.

See here.

In fairness, this is Neogaf, so take with a pinch of salt. It's also got an awful lot of things right so far.

I wouldn't blame them for just porting it over, that's a serious amount of work to remaster 4 titles to current gen standards. It's taking ND a year to remaster TLOU and significantly upgrade the visuals, can't imagine how long it would take to do 3 more games to that standard as well.

Even if they upped the resolution, AA and FPS, that'd be a big thing. It's not as if the 360 games are bad looking anyway.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Given the completely different shift in system architecture both Sony and MS used, there was no way to add backwards compatibility unless you added the PS3 or 360 chips into the new systems, which would've added €100-€200 extra on top.

Would you be willing to pay for it?

I'd doubt it, especially considering only a small minority end up using BC long term.

Put in an optional chip slot?

trade in your old ps3 for the updated chip? or pay 100 :)

A little gesture of goodwill for our continued loyalty wouldnt go a miss for once, There is always a way ;)

Put in an optional chip slot?

trade in your old ps3 for the updated chip? or pay 100 :)

A little gesture of goodwill for our continued loyalty wouldnt go a miss for once, There is always a way ;)

Wouldn't be worth their while from a production and distribution point, plus the internals would have to be designed to accommodate the extra chips even if they weren't going to be included so as not to have to design two completely different architecture and models -it's not just the case of popping extra chips in on top, it all has to work as efficiently and effectively as possible as a whole.

This method would also would be very wasteful and would probably cost a lot more than just €100 extra, probably closer to €200.

It'd only eat into their profits and would be a waste because who uses BC 2 or 3 years down the line? Very, very few would.

If you want BC keep your old console. BC wasn't standard until the PS2 days, and people just hung onto their old consoles before that.

Thankfully this won't be an issue anymore because the future consoles will still to their current PC-like architecture meaning easy BC.

• Advertisement

Very few would? yet its enough to make them "remaster" them and resell them to us :rolleyes:

I have my old consoles, its whats keeping me from getting a PS4 tbh

They could easily incorporate it into their design and with the jump in technological advancements im sure they could find easy work arounds for the problems you mentioned. They just dont as they can make alot more money selling us the same games again, case in point.

We don't nor will we ever know as they have no interest in being this generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Very few would? yet its enough to make them "remaster" them and resell them to us :rolleyes:

They could easily incorporate it into their design and with the jump in technological advancements im sure they could find easy work arounds for the problems you mentioned. They just dont as they can make alot more money selling us the same games again, case in point.

If you have the games, and the console to play them on, who is forcing you to buy new HD editions? If people want to spend money for the convenience of not digging out the other console thats there choice

Very few would spend an extra €100 or €200 to get BC because they'd be upgrading from their previous consoles anyway and would just think "ah sure I'll just keep it and save the extra few hundred".

It's not easy to incorporate. They're two very different architectures and the console would end up bigger, more power hungry, expense, and for what? BC that people only use in the first year or two?

Notice how nobody cared (2009 onwards) that the PS3 couldn't do BC in its later years because nobody was using it anyway. It's only a very slim minority that ever use BC.

Also, it's not so much a money thing. The case with TLOU is designed for people who never had a PS3 to play it, so it's not meant for you if you already have the system.
    There is a gigantic market of gamers who jumped from xbox to PS4, and they're not going to go buying PS3s to play it. It makes more financial sense to remaster that, and make a few one-off remastered games, than to make the entire thing BC. Plus, the game gets added benefit in graphics and longevity in the community, like for online.

So there's no case and point. You seem to be ignoring the lack of demand when people inevitably refuse to pay extra for it, and the millions wasted in R&D to keep it BC, when the drop off rate for people using it is massive.

Designing and producing a console is nowhere near as simplistic as you seem to think. It's a multimillion dollar investment and *everything* gets analysed to see if it's viable or not. I'm sure BC was considered too, but ultimately proved not to be worth it, in a practical sense and in a financial one.

Fair enough redzer, i shall digest what you've said and investigate further, perhaps people don't demand/expect BC as they now know the companies these days are not that generous ;)

And Lu Tze stfu, I'm not saying all this for my own greed, just noticing trends with gaming today, gamers buying the same games over and over, hampering the need for new games/ideas to be put into production.

Just look at the PS4 games, majority are games everybody has played before, safe games and remastered HD games :rolleyes:

The last of us has been the only decent game worthy of note outside the greats from rockstar for the PS3, i cleared that in a day :mad:

Shame on me for wanting/expecting better for my gaming brethren :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Be interesting to see if this will come to PC as well since it's been rumoured there was a port of 3 in the works for a while, I think.

I'd say there'll be Gears of War ports to XBox One at some point as well.

I can see every big franchise that was Xbox exclusive redone for the One. With it's less than stellar sales Microsoft must be looking at every way to squeeze a few bucks out of it and HD re-masters of old games is almost always a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I can see every big franchise that was Xbox exclusive redone for the One. With it's less than stellar sales Microsoft must be looking at every way to squeeze a few bucks out of it and HD re-masters of old games is almost always a winner.

I'm pretty sure they are very happy with their sales at the moment, I'm sure they would like to be in the lead though, the company as a whole are profitable and are now matching the competition on price. All the announcements prior to E3 I am very excited to see what they bring.

I doubt they will rely on remasters at E3.

Also remasters are easy money. Sony have been doing it for awhile, surprised MS haven't jumped on it harder sooner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

lol on the console BC debate. :rolleyes:

PC master race signing in. :D

Time to fire up my emulators. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

I really dont see why they are including Halo 4 as it is still fresh. Halo 2 anniversary is all I want and would prefer allt the work be put into that. Even Halo 3 is still pretty good and stands up for me still as a campaign, maybe a few upgrades for the multiplayer. Also having this collection will they all have seperate multiplayer or all tied into Halo 4 multiplayer. Also halo anniversary was based on the reach multiplayer.

The multiplayer experience for all these games was fairly key to their success. I would love thes to work but the only reason I would be buying this would be if there is a proper Halo 2 anniverserary with a good multiplayer section not just a worked into Halo 4 version. And dual wielding.

• Advertisement

Halo 4 may be fresh, but it's not on the X1. Kind of pointless porting them all over, while leaving the most recent.

Advertisement