Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

celebrity chefs

Options
  • 17-05-2014 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

who is your favourite celeberty chef ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Who's yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

you wouldn't know him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

For tastiness of his food, it has to be Jamie Oliver but personality-wise, I wouldn't mind sharing a meal and a few pints with Rick Stein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Keith Floyd. /thread

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

I'm a celebrity in my own mind.

Apart from that, Tonia Buxton is lovely and digs up original traditional (Cypriot and Greek) recipes as well as developing her own twists on Mediterranean flavours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I like Richard Corrigan, like his approach to food and not over-complicating.

Credit to Jamie aswell, whatever about his persona (which might be annoying to some) he has made his food and his recipes very accessible while still being interesting and that's why he has been so successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Can barely remember him, but I'd have to second Keith Floyd for the sheer personality, and shameless fun (and boozing)!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Jamie's food always feels like it would be great to eat. But I'd love to meet Simon Hopkinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 whoops_jimmy

Nigel Slatter can be a bit much on TV but his recipes are very tastey and a little different (Sausage Danish) perfect sunday morning cure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Like James Martin myself. My other half loves his desserts.

• Advertisement

Again, Keith Floyd is one of my all-time favourites for his overall passion for quality, simple food & drink, his no-nonsense approach to cooking & general wit. I also have a lot of respect for the Hairy Bikers for somewhat similar reasons.

Jamie & Hugh I like for their passion for good food & their earnest attempts to educate the masses & influence a cultural shift in our approach to eating better food, & food that is produced in a more humane fashion.

Finally, I am an offal-ly big fan of Fergus Henderson & his brand of nose-to-tail eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Oooh good thread! I like accessible chefs who are great at coming up with delights that you can try at home right away. So Tom Kerridge for really delicious hearty fare, Nigel Slater for new ideas and Rick Stein for fish dishes. I also love Darina Allen because her recipes invariably work, as do recipes from Nevan Maguire, I love how they really promote local and seasonal produce.

At the top end I love Tom Kitchin and Theo Randall, both seem like thoroughly nice guys. I'm also a little bit in love with Raymond Blanc for his enthusiasm.

As for ones I don't like. I cannot abide Hugh Never-Hasfeckall. I find him pompous, self serving and I just have to turn off when I see him, although I do begrudgingly think the whole Fish Fight movement is worthwhile. Not keen on Jamie Oliver either as I think he's got a funny palate although he has vastly improved in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Michel Roux Jr.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭squonk

Merkin wrote: »
    As for ones I don't like. I cannot abide Hugh Never-Hasfeckall. I find him pompous, self serving and I just have to turn off when I see him,

I second that! I too find him pompus but I'd also say he'd pick **** up off the gound and eat it if he fancied. I actually feel physically sick watching some of the stuff he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Two people im surprised aint been mentioned yet!!

Especially the Scottish one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

As sad as it sounds I like virtually all the celebrity chefs.

My favourite is Jamie Oliver though (as has been mentioned) purely for his accessibility, he gives the best tips that help me with my cooking like saving a cup of pasta water when draining, boiling baby potatoes with garlic or roasting veg under a chicken ect.

Honourable mentions to Neven Maguire, Floyd, Paul Rankin and Antony Worrall Thompson.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Alton Brown's new Youtube videos are brilliant. Especially the 'grilled grilled cheese' and 'champagne saber time'. I'm hoping he does more, especially of the actual cooking ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Giorgio Locatelli, charm and style incarnate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Gennaro Contaldo is brilliant viewing and his recipes are fantastic, it's easy to see where Jamie learned both his cooking and teaching style from.

I actually find Marco Pierre White's recipes ridiculously easy to follow, every the more technical ones.

Michel Roux Jr. makes the classical french recipes and techniques seem accessible and I enjoy his style of cooking and teaching.

Less "celebrity" (for now, anyway) But I like some of the Youtube chefs like Sorted Food, Food Wishes, Hilah Cooking, not usually very technical or classical dishes but always good viewing, easy to follow and tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 whoops_jimmy

Two greedy Italians on bbc feat Gennaro_Contaldo and Antonio_Carluccio is a very good show. The food and scenery of Italy looks stunning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've gone off Jamie as I found his recipes a bit 'laddish' for me but I will be for ever thankful to him for getting the young guys I know into the kitchen. I like Neven, Delia, Mary Berry, and .......darn it I watch them all even though I'm not keen on a lot of them.....Ina, Nigella, Nigel, Hugh, James, Hairy.......haven't watched young Skehan yet though. I lose interest if they use ingredients I can't get in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I prefer to follow the works of the chefs that are members of the masterchef society.(Not the crap tv show) Very talented and not up their own ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

PLL wrote: »
    I prefer to follow the works of the chefs that are members of the masterchef society.(Not the crap tv show) Very talented and not up their own ass.

I understand what you are saying and I'd agree but never get to see the masterchef programmes. I think the whole area of 'celebrity chefs' does have a lot of inflated egos.

I do like Rachel's recipes, its just her TV presentation I think needs adjusting. I'm sorry we don't see Darina any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I forgot about Mary Berry. She'd be my adopted Grandmother. :)

PLL wrote: »

Fair enough, but they are not celebrity chefs which is what this thread is about. Are their any Masterchef members that the general public would know well?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Can barely remember him, but I'd have to second Keith Floyd for the sheer personality,
    You can still catch glimpses of him on weekend TV, there is a program on in the morning and it shows clips of lots of old programs.

While I find him good & amusing I am often not impressed with the look of the food, could be the 80s TV colouring and plates with nasty garish patterns on them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Kitchen
    Almost half the show's length is made up of edited versions of food shows from the BBC archives including, amongst others, MasterChef, Keith Floyd, Antonio Carluccio, Rick Stein and Delia Smith. These elements are used at frequent intervals throughout the show to facilitate clean-up and "resetting" of the studio kitchen.

Advertisement