Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old dog.

• 17-05-2014 4:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

So I have a 13 year old Labrador Retriever who's been such a big part of my life since I was 7. It sucks to know she's getting closer to "that time" but it's not exactly the best time with half my family away through work and study.

Earlier in the week she was eating rather slowly and started to add hot water to her biscuits to make it easier on her teeth and booked her in at the Vet. I took her yesterday and all but one test on her liver was higher than usual, but in comparison to other dogs her age, it's good. She was given a few other injections and I was told she was going blind. I was also given a new bag of food to give her given her age. The only concerning issue was when the vet checked her legs. When the vet moved it back, she didn't even try to move it again.

All seemed fine when she got home. She ate her new food, followed me around the yard as I did a few things. But I work up this morning and she seems lethargic. She pulls her head up when I check on her, but she drops it back. She didn't react to any food or when I brought out the leash like she did yesterday. She also seemed to be shivering earlier but now she seems okay.

I'm worried that she may have had a poor reaction to the vet visit yesterday and if I go to the vet, I may have to make that choice, something I don't want to do until everyone is home in about two weeks. But I also don't want to see her in pain.

What would be the best course of action?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Mr. Slam wrote: »
    So I have a 13 year old Labrador Retriever who's been such a big part of my life since I was 7. It sucks to know she's getting closer to "that time" but it's not exactly the best time with half my family away through work and study.

Earlier in the week she was eating rather slowly and started to add hot water to her biscuits to make it easier on her teeth and booked her in at the Vet. I took her yesterday and all but one test on her liver was higher than usual, but in comparison to other dogs her age, it's good. She was given a few other injections and I was told she was going blind. I was also given a new bag of food to give her given her age. The only concerning issue was when the vet checked her legs. When the vet moved it back, she didn't even try to move it again.

All seemed fine when she got home. She ate her new food, followed me around the yard as I did a few things. But I work up this morning and she seems lethargic. She pulls her head up when I check on her, but she drops it back. She didn't react to any food or when I brought out the leash like she did yesterday. She also seemed to be shivering earlier but now she seems okay.

I'm worried that she may have had a poor reaction to the vet visit yesterday and if I go to the vet, I may have to make that choice, something I don't want to do until everyone is home in about two weeks. But I also don't want to see her in pain.

What would be the best course of action?

It's so hard when our pets get to the age that you're constantly asking yourself 'is it time'.

Going to the vet can be tiring and agitating for older dogs. Especially if they are having their legs manipulated into positions that are hurting them. Getting into the car can sometimes difficult for my girl! Also the vet probably poked and prodded a bit, this would tend to make her stiff. Also being in a strange environment, especially if losing her sight, would also be draining.

So really if you took her yesterday I would at least give her 48 hours before I would be really concerned. I'd phone the vet and explain your worries and be guided by them.

If she's not on good form I'd leave her on her normal food until she's feeling better. Changing her diet at that age, or any really, should be done slowly.... over a couple of weeks perhaps. Mix the new food into the old and increase gradually.

Did the vet say what the test results suggested? You seem to have come away feeling that her end time is very near? In dogs, it seems to me, the difference between on and off form is minuscule. Sometimes 24 hours of rest and TLC can make a big difference.

I have an old girl who is also at that worrying age. I cannot tel you the number of times that I've thought 'this is it - she'll never come back from this setback' and she has, although always slightly weaker or changed. But she adapts and so do I. Obviously this may not be the same for you, and for me one day, but I'm really hoping that it's true this time (ps my girl's also going blind!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I too am in the same position OP with 1 elderly dog, but dont give up hope yet.
    Im sorry to disagree with your vet, but if your dog is 13 years old, and is looking a bit off colour, I WOULD NOT GO CHANGING HER FOOD NOW!!! As Snoman said, food should be changed over a very gradual period, to prevent stomach upset.

Here is what I would do - she is probably a bit exhausted/upset by the trauma of the visit to the vet yesterday. Go to the supermarket, and buy a packet of chicken. Put it in a pan, with a cup of rice, and 3 or 4 cups of water. Boil it all up. If the rice is on the bone, remove the bones. Allow to cool. Give it to your dog, she will love it, and it will be gentle on her tummy and nourishing.
    Maybe her old food is not a great one, which is why the vet recommended something different. At her age, I would try the home cooked food for now though. She deserves a bit of a treat at age 13.

Hope she improves and is back to her old self soon. If not, definately talk to your vet for some advice. Lots of TLC and a very comfortable bed (for old joints)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm with aonb on this one... I feel that oldies should get food that is highly palatable, easy-to-eat, with high-quality protein. The additives put into commercial foods for elderly dogs are all contained in oily fish in any case, and probably more accessible to the dog in the original fishy packaging!
    I'd also make life a little easier for her by making sure she has a bowl of water beside her bed, so she doesn't have to go far to find water (a lot of old or debilitated dogs become dehydrated as their water bowl is just too far away fro them to easily access regularly), and place a few more bowls of water around the place while you're at it. Also, it can help keep their brains a little more active by feeding them out of Kong Toys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Our 14.5 year old Cocker Spaniel has been fed pedigree kibble since he was 9wks old so it's not being changed now. His legs are not that good which does make things a bit more difficult but we manage. I have often thought about leaving water beside him at night but he always gets up during the night so takes a drink then.
    He is almost totally deaf and his sight is deteriorating but his quality of life is ok. He had some cancerous moles removed a while back but afterwards and the vet ran bloods which were nearly all perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭hughjohn

At the risk of antagonising any vets on here ;
    Remember a vet is a human ( they are not right all the time).
    You know your dog better than the vet , Listen carefully to their advice BUT you do not have to follow everything they say.

As others have suggested some lightly cooked cooled chicken and rice will be miles ahead of any bag from any vet.
    Give the dog some tlc and attention and DONT drag her along to the vet just because there is no improvment in a few days . Give her time to rest .

At 13 years old you only need to go to vet if she is in pain and despite what you may think now you will know when is the right time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Mr. Slam

Bit of a late reply due to work but some excellent news: she's fine!

Waited till Sunday to take her to the vet. Turns out she had a high fever, her not walking was because she hadn't been well enough and didn't have the strength to stand up. It took her awhile but by mid afternoon she was eating and drinking normally. Didn't walk much, didn't have the strength but went to the toilet outside after I carried her. Later she woke up and was able to walk around the house completely fine. Best news is that one if her injections on Friday was for her back legs and while there is still some concern, she's walking better than she has in a year or so.

Really appreciate the replies. Kept my emotions in tact going to the vet knowing she was most likely fine. Still not sure why she developed the fever but I've decided to follow through with another injection for her back legs given how well she has improved. If she's sick again, well, then we know what was causing it.

Our guy sleeps a good 14-16 hours a day at this stage but his quality of life is still ok. Walks are becoming nearly too difficult though. I took him.on about a mile of a walk a few days ago which took 40 minutes. Its hard because he loves getting out and enjoying all the different smells but physically its getting too much for him

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Our guy sleeps a good 14-16 hours a day at this stage but his quality of life is still ok. Walks are becoming nearly too difficult though. I took him.on about a mile of a walk a few days ago which took 40 minutes. Its hard because he loves getting out and enjoying all the different smells but physically its getting too much for him

Do you have time to bring him out for a couple of shorter walks, rather than one "long" one, ryanf1?
    Walks, and specifically getting to sniff and mingle and root around, are so important for the mental health of an ageing dog, but it's often the case that you have to compromise by getting them out for a couple of short-do-able walks, rather than one long walk :)

DBB wrote: »
    Do you have time to bring him out for a couple of shorter walks, rather than one "long" one, ryanf1?
    Walks, and specifically getting to sniff and mingle and root around, are so important for the mental health of an ageing dog, but it's often the case that you have to compromise by getting them out for a couple of short-do-able walks, rather than one long walk :)

I do now that i'm finished college but wouldn't always. Sometimes I feel like I'm annoying him by getting him out for a walk.
    I often think it would be useful if we live in the country and had a piece of land that we could just leave him roam in at his leisure.

Advertisement