Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good browser!

Options
  • 17-05-2014 6:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

Here is a browser that protects your privacy,IS MUCH BETTER THAN CHROME that spies on you,etc.......

www.qtweb.net/download.php

Here is just the program (No install just click and run each time)

www.qtweb.net/downloads/QtWeb.exe (Windows - 7.5 Megs)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Here is an OS that doesn't get spy/crapware installed at the drop of a hat and IS MUCH BETTER THAN WINDOWS. :)
    http://www.linuxmint.com

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I find Firefox good and works well.

If you want privacy, don't use Chrome. Of course if you are using Windows don't expect 100% privacy anyway and anything on the internet can potentially be hacked (e.g. Heartbleed bug for websites with SSL).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Firefox is fine, agreed. Hate the new "Chrome" interface though am putting up with it. There are extensions which will revert the new layout.
    IS MUCH BETTER THAN WINDOWS.
    Ahh in fairness all have their purpose. Linux is useless for gaming at present although steambox may sort that (this could be a game changer if EA agree to port games onto it). Looking forward to seeing what Steam OS will bring

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

try Google Ultron, it's what NASA uses

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

This is a chrome like browser which sends no data to google.

ITS easy to make a 7gig partition, on a pc, for linux mint.
    Dual boot windows , menu appears, load windows ,a,
    or load b, linux.
    Just use windows for playing games .
    Use linux for web browsing.
    Mint has similar menu layout to windows 7, and its faster than windows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭cant touchthis

I only use firefox on youtube , or video websites, eg gametrailers.
    i find chrome or iron browser better for general browsing.

Every few weeks there seems to be a new vunerability found in internet explorer,
    I presume some people use it because they don,t know theres other browsers avaidable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

yoyo wrote: »
    Firefox is fine, agreed. Hate the new "Chrome" interface though am putting up with it. There are extensions which will revert the new layout.

I'm getting used to it now. It's much easy to bookmark and to access history :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I like the new Firefox, especially the new Sync facility. Works perfectly.

Also, +1 for SR Iron. Its Chrome without the inbuilt tracking and feedback code. Note that you have to manually update it though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

riclad wrote: »
    I only use firefox on youtube , or video websites, eg gametrailers.
    i find chrome or iron browser better for general browsing.

Every few weeks there seems to be a new vunerability found in internet explorer,
    I presume some people use it because they don,t know theres other browsers avaidable.

According to Secunia, IE had significantly fewer vulnerabilities in 2013 than either Chrome or Firefox.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability-review/browser_security.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

stevenmu wrote: »
    According to Secunia, IE had significantly fewer vulnerabilities in 2013 than either Chrome or Firefox.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability-review/browser_security.html

Yea, sure. A raw number is the best security indicator!

Any comments on this: http://mashable.com/2014/04/28/homeland-security-internet-explorer/?utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mashable+%28Mashable%29&utm_cid=Mash-Prod-RSS-Feedburner-All-Partial&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedburner ?

Well cherry picking a specific vulnerability certainly isn't the best security indicator.

Yes, that was a bad vulnerability. But you do realise that every browser has had significant vulnerabilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Well cherry picking a specific vulnerability certainly isn't the best security indicator.

Yes, that was a bad vulnerability. But you do realise that every browser has had significant vulnerabilities?

I do. However with open source browsers fixes for critical bugs are often out within hours and for the rest it's a waiting game. So, in my opinion, your post suggesting that IE is better than the rest of the crowd is just misleading.

There might be patches available within hours, but they don't get pushed out to general users until much later. I don't have figures to back it up, but I suspect on average it's not much better than Microsoft's critical updates.

What I'm really trying to suggest is that the idea that IE and Windows are far less secure than the alternative is out dated, and has been for some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

PrzemoF wrote:
    So, in my opinion, your post suggesting that IE is better than the rest of the crowd is just misleading.
    I dont think any browser IS BETTER than any other mate!! (Its the END USER (you) that determines how good your browser is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

There might be patches available within hours, but they don't get pushed out to general users until much later. I don't have figures to back it up, but I suspect on average it's not much better than Microsoft's critical updates.

What I'm really trying to suggest is that the idea that IE and Windows are far less secure than the alternative is out dated, and has been for some time now.

neowin.net/news/microsoft-has-yet-to-fix-a-known-ie8-zero-day-exploit-after-seven-months

Microsoft has yet to fix a known IE8 zero-day exploit after seven months
    Internet Explorer 8 is still the world's most used web browser, according to Net Applications. Now there's word of a zero-day exploit that was found in IE8 seven months ago but so far it has yet to be addressed by Microsoft in any of its recent updates for the browser.

The security hole was revealed publicly this week by the Zero-Day Initiative. It says that the flaw will allow hackers "to execute arbitrary code" in the browser if users surf to an infected website or open a file designed to take advantage of the exploit.

Microsoft was informed about the zero-day flaw in October 2013 but has yet to close the security hole. CNET got a statement from a Microsoft spokesperson who said there is no evidence of the flaw being used out in the wild.

They'll fix it when a few thousand poor gits get caught out.

Thanks Microsoft.

No point comparing them on security anyway, when theirs a few quid in it they all fall down.

ibtimes.com/pwn2own-2012-hacking-competition-reveals-no-browser-safe-423928

theguardian.com/technology/blog/2012/mar/08/pwn2own-chrome-hacked

I think internet explorer maybe a more tempting target for hackers,than other browsers,
    since its installed on every windows pc by default.

Advertisement