Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from South Africa to Cork with a dog (finding a house)

Options
  • 17-05-2014 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,

first of all I must say that this forum has already been a great help for me gathering information about Ireland in general - thanks so much!

I am a 26 years old German and lived in South Africa for 3 years. I rescued a dog (a 5 year old medium sized Labrador-Afrikanis cross) that I love with all my heart. She is a quiet, friendly and loving sweetheart. :)

As I got a job offer in Cork City my husband (African)and me will move there next month. I already prepared everything to take our furry family member along.

We will arrive in Cork around the 25th of June and then have two weeks time until our dog arrives.

Do you think it is possible to find a little house or an apartment that is pet-friendly in that time frame? In addition to that our budget is limited and we can't stay far from Cork City as we don't plan to buy a car anytime soon.

I wrote to a couple of agencies and got the feedback that most of them don't allow pets in general. Most of the ads that I find on daft.ie don't indicate at all if the place is pet-friendly at all.

What is your experience renting a place in Cork City (or close suburbs) with a medium sized dog? Any tips and tricks or specific agencies who don't deny tenants with pets generally?

I really appreciate your help and wish you all a great weekend!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

africansun wrote: »
    Hi all,

first of all I must say that this forum has already been a great help for me gathering information about Ireland in general - thanks so much!

I am a 26 years old German and lived in South Africa for 3 years. I rescued a dog (a 5 year old medium sized Labrador-Afrikanis cross) that I love with all my heart. She is a quiet, friendly and loving sweetheart. :)

As I got a job offer in Cork City my husband (African)and me will move there next month. I already prepared everything to take our furry family member along.

We will arrive in Cork around the 25th of June and then have two weeks time until our dog arrives.

Do you think it is possible to find a little house or an apartment that is pet-friendly in that time frame? In addition to that our budget is limited and we can't stay far from Cork City as we don't plan to buy a car anytime soon.

I wrote to a couple of agencies and got the feedback that most of them don't allow pets in general. Most of the ads that I find on daft.ie don't indicate at all if the place is pet-friendly at all.

What is your experience renting a place in Cork City (or close suburbs) with a medium sized dog? Any tips and tricks or specific agencies who don't deny tenants with pets generally?

I really appreciate your help and wish you all a great weekend!

I don't know anything about renting in cork, but any houses I rented in dublin never stated "pet friendly" I just asked the landlord. I have never had a problem finding a suitable place. Some people might advise you to keep quiet a lout your dog but I wouldn't do that, you want to be able to relax in your home! I think a house would be your best bet as a lot of apartments have a no pets management company rule. Best of luck finding somewhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You should read this: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/bringing_pets_to_ireland.html

Some landlords are reluctant to allow pets, but others are perfectly happy.

A car isn't necessary for living in Cork - there is a very usable & safe system of buses and trains. Check out:
    www.transportforireland.ie
    www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=247#Cork
    www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=248#Cork
    www.irishrail.ie

Cycling is another possibility, especially if living in the city / near work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 africansun

@Millem + Victor

Thank you very much!

It is great to know that a house could even be pet-friendly even tough it is not explicitly stated in the add.

Fingers crossed that we find a place - it is my biggest concern as you can image ;)

One more question: Would you advise to rent through an agency? There are only so few properties that I can find that aren't let by an agency which I am not used to. The agencies seem to have super strict requirements... which I find a bit intimidating ;)

Thanks as well for the public transport links, Victor! That will be a great help getting around Cork and explore our new home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

When I moved to Ireland with my dog 4 years ago, I had no problem to find a place to live.
    Instead of negotiating the rent, I asked if they could agree on having a dog in the house.

I would not hide the fact that I plan to have a dog in the place and you may want to add that in writing on the rent contract so that it is clear that you got the agreement.

Hey Plopli,

great tip - thank you!

Is it common to negotiate rent?

I now it is getting a bit off-topic but:

Does anybody know the current situation on the letting market? Are there tons of applicants for one property or are landlords happy to find reliable tenants?

Thanks again guys - you are being a great help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Hope your transition to Ireland is smooth
    Cork is a smashing little city. It is very small, residents = approx 100k
    The people of Cork tend to be pretty friendly.
    The recession has hit Cork. I dont know what the rental market is now - there must be another Boards forum for Cork/Cork peoplel?!? - but bound to be better than in DUblin (where there is a shortage of rental properties).
    There are plenty of housing estates close to the centre where you can rent houses.
    There are local newspapers that will list properties for rent too.
    www.eveningecho.ie

thecorknews.ie

www.independent.ieRegionals

Cork has a university (UCC) so there will be lots of student quality/priced rentals

this might be useful:

www.uccaccommodation.ie/wp-content/.../newcomers-guide-to-cork.pdf

www.cork-guide.ie/corkcity.html

www.cork.ie

You might consider getting a prepaid mobile phone when you land, so that you can make/receive calls easier. There are mobile phone shops in every street.

GOOD LUCK!

Thank you aonb for your kind words :-)

I am terrified to go back to Europe to be honest - but I am sure it will be fine somehow.

Thanks for all the links, I will have a look at all of them!

Advertisement