Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in America (hopefully)

Options
  • 17-05-2014 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,
    I'm hoping to move to America for a year on the USIT graduate year work visa.
    My questions are:
    Since i graduated in October 2013 do I have until October 2014 to get to America or is it a year after I finished my summer exams, that is May 2013?
    As a mechanical engineer where would be the best city/state for me to move to to find work in this area.
    Also, has anyone any experience in this and how hard is it to get a job with a company since the company knows full well that it will only be for one year that I will be there for?

Thank you for any advice, sorry if this has already been asked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

ODLiam wrote: »
    Hi all,
    My questions are:
    Since i graduated in October 2013 do I have until October 2014 to get to America or is it a year after I finished my summer exams, that is May 2013?
    As a mechanical engineer where would be the best city/state for me to move to to find work in this area.
    Also, has anyone any experience in this and how hard is it to get a job with a company since the company knows full well that it will only be for one year that I will be there for?

The date you graduated (if that's the date on your degree). You'd need to start the process well in advance so you wouldn't make the May date now anyway.

Any reasonable big city will have plenty of engineering companies. What sort of work are you interested in, mechanical engineering is a broad field? If you start looking now you could have a job before you go over. Check IAESTE too, there's also other programme that place you with firms for internships.

To be honest if you're serious stop posting here and start sending out CVs and making calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ODLiam

Thanks for your help. Looking for a design Engineer job currently working as a Project Engineer

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AnnaBooBoo

Yeah you can go at anytime through now til oct 2014. It's the date of your graduation they go by. I wouldn't be much help on the job front with engineering though I'm sorry about that but maybe google will bring up some good stats or something from previous people who's gone. Boston would be a good spot I say

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Hi all,
    My questions are:

Do you have a field in mechanical, project or Design. It may help to know a little of your experience. For instance Medical Device, Aerospace, Automotive, Consumer electronics? Do you have GD&T experience or knowledge of ASME standards. America is a huge country with a much broader array of industries in Ireland. There is allot more in the way of heavy industries and allot of design position will hiring will look for some manufacturing or machine shop experience (I normally do).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ODLiam

Was thinking Florida area heard that would be good but open to anywhere.
    "Do you have a field in mechanical, project or Design. It may help to know a little of your experience."
    Currently working in Building Service sector as Project/Quality Engineer in the installation of HVAC/BMS. Have a bit of experience in these international areas of standards but am looking to get into product design as I have previous experience in this area as well and preferred to what I'm doing now.
    I've heard of another visa that USIT do where you need a job before you can get the visa, but they don't sponsor you, and it is also a year visa/internship. I ask this as a fall back if I don't have enough money saved up by October,€2500 to pay for USIT expenses and another €5000 in bank account to be safe.

Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Was thinking Florida area heard that would be good but open to anywhere.
    "Do you have a field in mechanical, project or Design. It may help to know a little of your experience."
    Currently working in Building Service sector as Project/Quality Engineer in the installation of HVAC/BMS. Have a bit of experience in these international areas of standards but am looking to get into product design as I have previous experience in this area as well and preferred to what I'm doing now.
    I've heard of another visa that USIT do where you need a job before you can get the visa, but they don't sponsor you, and it is also a year visa/internship. I ask this as a fall back if I don't have enough money saved up by October,€2500 to pay for USIT expenses and another €5000 in bank account to be safe.

Thanks for the help.

What area was your previous product design in? Cars? Microelectronics? Med device? Do you have an idea for what industry you would like to go into? The more information you give us the more we can help.Toyota, Nissan, Boeing and VW are hiring all around the Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi area. I would not even bother trying for defense or aerospace as they will require security clearance and permanent residency for a requirement. Boston has a large Med device industry as does Cleveland and areas of California.

Advertisement