Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Temporary/short-term car insurance

• 17-05-2014 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

This is just an informational post... Ireland doesn't have a market for short-term car insurance (unlike the UK) so your kind of frigged if you only need insurance for a short amount of time.

In my case, I only needed insurance for a single day (I sold my car online, and needed to drive it to a dealer in Tipperary) and I wasn't able to find any insurance company that offers this service in Ireland.

So, going by the suggestions on boards, I renewed my insurance for another year with 123.ie, and then set about cancelling the policy when I got back.

To cancel the policy, if you call them up they will state that you need to send them back a letter in writing stating that you want the policy cancelled and include the tax + certificate that they sent out to you when you renewed.

You will still be in the 'cooling-off' period so you will be refunded everything, apart from the days that you have already taken on insurance and (in my case) the EUR40 non-refundable renewal fee.

It's still a ****e state of affairs but that's the only way to go about it I suppose :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

So easy to do in Germany. You can buy insurance for any period or buy export/transport plate with insurance.
    In germany you see all the summer cars coming out when the weather improves with their plates indicating the months during which they are tax/insured to drive.
    Ireland is backward in this respect and forces people to use one car and one car only unlike in Germany where people can indulge their motor hobby at little expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

that's not the case. It's no problem to do as the OP says. Just arrange to pay by ddm and cancel by returning the cert and disc.

Germany comes under the same category a the UK in the OP...big enough to have a market for short term insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

It is large enough for multi-trip travel insurance but not for temporary car insurance. That doesn't make sense to me.
    The insurers have a vested interest in not providing short term car insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SandyG4U

Vorophobe wrote: »
    This is just an informational post... Ireland doesn't have a market for short-term car insurance (unlike the UK) so your kind of frigged if you only need insurance for a short amount of time.

In my case, I only needed insurance for a single day (I sold my car online, and needed to drive it to a dealer in Tipperary) and I wasn't able to find any insurance company that offers this service in Ireland.

So, going by the suggestions on boards, I renewed my insurance for another year with 123.ie, and then set about cancelling the policy when I got back.

To cancel the policy, if you call them up they will state that you need to send them back a letter in writing stating that you want the policy cancelled and include the tax + certificate that they sent out to you when you renewed.

You will still be in the 'cooling-off' period so you will be refunded everything, apart from the days that you have already taken on insurance and (in my case) the EUR40 non-refundable renewal fee.

It's still a ****e state of affairs but that's the only way to go about it I suppose :)

May I please ask if they charged you the deposit? I am switching from 123 as I got a cheaper quote. Unfortunately I cannot afford to pay the down payment of €200+ so I was hoping to ensure my car up to the point where the disc expires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The deposit is typically something in the region of 30% of the cost of the premium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

If you cancell your insurence they will not post your NCB certificate, it will be low back pain to receive it again. Tested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Someone with "drive other cars" on their policy could have driven it without all the hassle of cancelling a 12 month policy after a day. But yes, our insurance industry reeks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

How much would folk be prepared to pay for short term cover? Just wondering.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

goz83 wrote: »
    Someone with "drive other cars" on their policy could have driven it without all the hassle of cancelling a 12 month policy after a day. But yes, our insurance industry reeks.

this is applying to me at the moment. bought new car, wanted to put old one through nct before selling so now have 2 cars. transferred policy to new car, asked to insure old one for a further month until i sold it, most they would gve me is two weeks.

so for yesterday i had to take it to nct, had to transfer the insurance back over.
    does anyone know if the drive other cars on a policy, which i have, covers a car which has no insurance at all on it? asked the insurer when i called yesterday but did not get a straight answer and they unsurprisingly seemed to prefer to switch the insurance over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

mossym wrote: »
    this is applying to me at the moment. bought new car, wanted to put old one through nct before selling so now have 2 cars. transferred policy to new car, asked to insure old one for a further month until i sold it, most they would gve me is two weeks.

so for yesterday i had to take it to nct, had to transfer the insurance back over.
    does anyone know if the drive other cars on a policy, which i have, covers a car which has no insurance at all on it? asked the insurer when i called yesterday but did not get a straight answer and they unsurprisingly seemed to prefer to switch the insurance over

It really depends on the policy. Most will not require the car to be insured, however your policy may differ.

One thing to bear in mind is that its almost certain that the other car cannot be registered in your name, ie you cannot own two cars and drive on with the third party extension from the policy of your other car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

djimi wrote: »
    It really depends on the policy. Most will not require the car to be insured, however your policy may differ.

One thing to bear in mind is that its almost certain that the other car cannot be registered in your name, ie you cannot own two cars and drive on with the third party extension from the policy of your other car.

yeah it is in my name, until i flog it at least, so probably best to just transfer as needed. Going to make selling it a pain as will have to transfer insurance anytime i want to show it to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Don't drive it, you won't be insured! :eek:

As djimi said, driving other cars is cars not owned by you / your spouse etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

SandyG4U wrote: »
    May I please ask if they charged you the deposit? I am switching from 123 as I got a cheaper quote. Unfortunately I cannot afford to pay the down payment of €200+ so I was hoping to ensure my car up to the point where the disc expires.

Yes, I had to pay a deposit of EUR216.65, and then I would be paying the remainder by direct debits (~EUR60 pm) over the course of a year.

They've just informed me today that they are refunding me 156.04, so as you can see - trying to get insured for a few days costs a fair bit!

Advertisement