Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bsc in Architectural Technology - mature student - Sep 2014

Options
  • 17-05-2014 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi, I received a letter from GMIT saying thatI should be offered a place on the above course starting in Sep, can anyone offer an insight into their experience of the course? pro's and con's? Likes and dislikes? Also, as a mature student, im looking for accommodation thats modern, clean and above all quiet!! Any suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Murphster

Does anyone have anything to add? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dizzymenace

i just finished the first year of AT level 8 in CIT this year. it's pretty full on. first year contact hours are pretty high, we had 28 contact hours a week. expect to do a lot of work outside of the contact hours. it's a hands on course, very practical. you need to have an understanding of computers. this is really important, in your first year they teach you drawing techniques with mechanical pencils, ink pens, etc. while simultaneously showing you the ropes of "revit" (the 3d modelling programme used for creating buildings on computer) by the end of the year you would have to render a building on the computer by using only rough plans on paper. this is really sink or swim. they introduce you to revit easily enough but i was friends with a mature student (40yo) who sank. he had trouble with the simplest tasks (but did manage to get much better but not to the caliber you'd need to be at), if you'd like i can send you some of my revit drawings so you can see what you'd need to be doing or an example paper i did. most of the modules are theory like "materials" or "environmental science" but they all feed into "studio"

what i mean by that is that you will have 5 modules, 4 will be mostly theory while handing up papers showing you have an understanding of that module such as "history" "materiality&construction" "environmental science" "maths" etc. the "studio" module is where you will be given a project and must build a house from the ground up in detailed technical drawings. you will be given a few bland pictures of a house and do all the inner workings.

overall, it is really intense, the dropout rate is insane. 25 started in my class and i think about 10 will be progressing to the next year. as a mature student your knowledge of computers may let you down but if you have had building experience you are doing well. i sat next to a mature student (29) and always asked him the sizes of blocks or wall build up etc. however, it's not for everyone. a lot of people get overwhelmed and stop showing up while with me, i did the work and passed all of my modules but got fed up with the heavy emphasis on construction. you are constantly going to need to go to the library to get handbooks on technical guidance documents and do many calculations. interior architecture is the option that maths shy people take while being more creative. architural technology is leaning towards engineering

i think you benefitted from reading this, i wish someone told me all of this when i started the course

i just finished the first year of AT level 8 in CIT this year. it's pretty full on. first year contact hours are pretty high, we had 28 contact hours a week. expect to do a lot of work outside of the contact hours. it's a hands on course, very practical. you need to have an understanding of computers. this is really important, in your first year they teach you drawing techniques with mechanical pencils, ink pens, etc. while simultaneously showing you the ropes of "revit" (the 3d modelling programme used for creating buildings on computer) by the end of the year you would have to render a building on the computer by using only rough plans on paper. this is really sink or swim. they introduce you to revit easily enough but i was friends with a mature student (40yo) who sank. he had trouble with the simplest tasks (but did manage to get much better but not to the caliber you'd need to be at), if you'd like i can send you some of my revit drawings so you can see what you'd need to be doing or an example paper i did. most of the modules are theory like "materials" or "environmental science" but they all feed into "studio"

what i mean by that is that you will have 5 modules, 4 will be mostly theory while handing up papers showing you have an understanding of that module such as "history" "materiality&construction" "environmental science" "maths" etc. the "studio" module is where you will be given a project and must build a house from the ground up in detailed technical drawings. you will be given a few bland pictures of a house and do all the inner workings.

overall, it is really intense, the dropout rate is insane. 25 started in my class and i think about 10 will be progressing to the next year. as a mature student your knowledge of computers may let you down but if you have had building experience you are doing well. i sat next to a mature student (29) and always asked him the sizes of blocks or wall build up etc. however, it's not for everyone. a lot of people get overwhelmed and stop showing up while with me, i did the work and passed all of my modules but got fed up with the heavy emphasis on construction. you are constantly going to need to go to the library to get handbooks on technical guidance documents and do many calculations. interior architecture is the option that maths shy people take while being more creative. architural technology is leaning towards engineering

i think you benefitted from reading this, i wish someone told me all of this when i started the course

Fantastic response dizzymenace, thanks for that great insight! The course sounds to be quite intense so it's good to be heading into it with my eyes firmly open!

When you talk about 'understanding computers', I pretty much use them everyday of my life as my background is an office/banking environment, so I would hope that that would be sufficient to hit the ground running. Are there certain types of programmes that are used for drawing, and if so, is this something I could download or purchase somewhere to start getting use to working with it/them? Are there any materials technical or otherwise that you would advise purchasing in preparation?

I have no experience of construction in the practical or theoretical sense, but I have a keen interest in construction and design. I love to draw cross section sketches of different parts of a building i.e. foundation, roof, window/door etc. and general design, so I hope that this interest will enable me to pick up the essentials fast.

If you have anything that you feel would be of benefit to me then I would be very grateful if you could send them on to me (ill PM my email to you).

So all in all, are you happy with your choice of course? and what do you hope to do at the end of it?

Has anyone else decided to take up this course of study, starting in a couple of weeks.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

I wouldn't advise anyone to ever do Architectural Technology, there isn't a single job for graduate technicians in the country right now. You will emigrating.

Salaries are poor even for the experienced (35k as opposed to 50k for architects in the UK). Try paying a mortgage and supporting family on that BS when you're 40.

Career progression within an office is worse, you'll always be a skivvy to an architect who have the power, resulting in most technicians moving to a building sites starting all over again to try and earn decent money.

And this is all after 3-4 years of stress, pressure of all long hours & all nighters on a course. Take my advice, go and get an IT career now and never mind this BS. Live and learn.

• Advertisement

Jesus that is a damning indictment if ever I heard one. Did you graduate from this course yourself? And if so, what are you doing now? It is BS that an AT cannot sign off on plans in Ireland due to a stupid law, particularly when you see the quality of work an AT can produce, but an AT can work independently in their own.practice in the UK, so thats an option. It is my understanding that the currebt situation with AT's in Ireland is with a higher authority in Europe for review, so it is my hope that a solution has been found by the time I graduate. IT is a booming trade at the moment for sure, but no matter how good the oppurtunities are to graduates, if its not for you then its not an option. And, if the EU and US gets their way in relation to corporate tax structuring then Ireland may not be the tech mecca it currently is in the years ahead.
    FlashR2D2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't advise anyone to ever do Architectural Technology, there isn't a single job for graduate technicians in the country right now. You will emigrating.

Salaries are poor even for the experienced (35k as opposed to 50k for architects in the UK). Try paying a mortgage and supporting family on that BS when you're 40.

Career progression within an office is worse, you'll always be a skivvy to an architect who have the power, resulting in most technicians moving to a building sites starting all over again to try and earn decent money.

And this is all after 3-4 years of stress, pressure of all long hours & all nighters on a course. Take my advice, go and get an IT career now and never mind this BS. Live and learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

^^^^

I graduated in the 90's and worked in this area for the bones of 15 years until I saw some sense. Not to take away from the course, I saw the GMIT graduates work last year, it was impressive! But I wouldn't have expected any less, as I know how tough the Arch Tech courses are. Looking back now, I just didn't see the rewards long term for all my hard work in comparsion to some other courses which were more relaxed and ended up with a better long term future. I thought because I was working hard on my course and then professionally, it was going to pay off in the future....it didn't!

There seem to thousands of other cad/arch techs all doing the same thing, it is easy to become replaced quickly and cheaply. I don't see too many people doing cad courses and passing themselves off as engineer/architect. You have to have a degree and you have to complete professional exams. The same regulatory barriers aren't there to protect Arch Techs.

Having a degree of power is important, it protects your job title making it legit, protects your university qualifications, protects the time and money invested. I think setting up your own practice is 'pie in the sky', you're up against architects/engs who can do the same thing, also design and then have the power to sign off.

Everythings grand in your 20's, you have a job and bit of a salary, you're happy with your lot! But when you get a bit older you might be sorry you didn't think more long term, do a better course, leading to a higher salary especially when you see peers moving past the 50k mark. I just threw IT out there as an example but if construction really is your thing then spend the time/money on an engineering degree. It's a better prospect long term.

I don't want to dishearten anyone either, if you are coming to the end of a ARch Tech degree, you have all this construction knowledge but I think you should build on it by getting a professional qualification such as engineering or architecture. It just puts you in a better position of power...and salary!

^^^^

I graduated in the 90's and worked in this area for the bones of 15 years until I saw some sense. Not to take away from the course, I saw the GMIT graduates work last year, it was impressive! But I wouldn't have expected any less, as I know how tough the Arch Tech courses are. Looking back now, I just didn't see the rewards long term for all my hard work in comparsion to some other courses which were more relaxed and ended up with a better long term future. I thought because I was working hard on my course and then professionally, it was going to pay off in the future....it didn't!

There seem to thousands of other cad/arch techs all doing the same thing, it is easy to become replaced quickly and cheaply. I don't see too many people doing cad courses and passing themselves off as engineer/architect. You have to have a degree and you have to complete professional exams. The same regulatory barriers aren't there to protect Arch Techs.

Having a degree of power is important, it protects your job title making it legit, protects your university qualifications, protects the time and money invested. I think setting up your own practice is 'pie in the sky', you're up against architects/engs who can do the same thing, also design and then have the power to sign off.

Everythings grand in your 20's, you have a job and bit of a salary, you're happy with your lot! But when you get a bit older you might be sorry you didn't think more long term, do a better course, leading to a higher salary especially when you see peers moving past the 50k mark. I just threw IT out there as an example but if construction really is your thing then spend the time/money on an engineering degree. It's a better prospect long term.

I don't want to dishearten anyone either, if you are coming to the end of a ARch Tech degree, you have all this construction knowledge but I think you should build on it by getting a professional qualification such as engineering or architecture. It just puts you in a better position of power...and salary!

I absolutely see where you are coming from. The position of Arch Techs within the construction industry is a disgrace considering the quality of training and education they receive, we need protections and that debate is currently in Europe so at least there is hope for legislative recognition.

I dont agree that being self employed is 'pie in the sky'. Why not set up a practice and hire architects and engineers? Crazy? How many companies out there have countless members of staff with higher qualifications than the boss? In terms of employment, yes, at the moment Ireland is not very appealing - in many industries - but for anyone who wants to work elsewhere there are countless well paid oppurtunities in the UK and abroad. Go online and see for yourself, and check out the UK companies set up by Arch Techs which are thriving...competition is not a barrier to entry its a challenge! If every new business balked at the idea of setting up because of competition then we would have a very small economy!

I appreciate and understand your comments, but you should see and feel the buzz from Arch Tech students in Engineering depts across the community of colleges in Ireland..hear of their well researched plans for the future...speak with Lecturers who proudly boast about their recent graduates all finding paid (not scambridge!) Jobs.

Oppurtunity favours the brave and if a person chooses to sit in a dark corner of an office lodging planning apps then thats where they will stay. This course is thriving across the country with demand high...its unfair to suggest that people are wasting their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dizzymenace

funny you should say that. i deferred the AT course to study IT, only a fetac mind you. i didnt have the money to start another degree and i was seriously thinking of going back in 2015 and finishing the ordinary degree to get a job and save up for a different course. when i deferred i stopped my grant. it would kick in if i did the second year but listening to you now, i think i might cut ties with AT and move on to something else. it's bloody hard to let a whole year of work go with nothing to show

Advertisement