Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reading food labels

• 17-05-2014 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

Hi All,

Hoping you can help me with a quick question. I'm currently working on a diet plan but am a little confused when it comes to food labels. How do I work out the total calories from a food if it's not on the label? I know most have the protein, carbs and fats per 100g or whatever but what else is in there as these don't seem to add up to the total? Can I work out the calories by saying well 30g protein = 120 calories etc.?

Also before anyone says don't be a calorie counter/get bogged down in labels, I'm afraid I like doing the numbers/getting bogged down as I like to do things in a systematic way (I am an accountant :P)

Cheers!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what food has the protein/carbs/fats and not the calories on the label? that's weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

what food has the protein/carbs/fats and not the calories on the label? that's weird

Ok here's an example from a box of corn flakes (not that I'll be using these it was just the first thing to hand)

It won't let me upload the image, can I PM someone it or email it and maybe get a bit of help? Cheers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

upload the image to imgur.com

Cheers:D

2E5NB1El.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Calories are given in the energy column and as given in kcal.

• Advertisement

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Calories are given in the energy column and as given in kcal.

so that's just 378 calories? :confused:

Per 100g yes and per 30g in the right column
    It's up to you then to weigh your serving

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

so that's just 378 calories? :confused:
    Yeah 378 calories per 100 grams.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Per 100g yes and per 30g in the right column
    It's up to you then to weigh your serving

That's perfect, the kcal always confused me!

Hey guys,

Another quick question I thought I'd stick in here. How accurate is the data from MyFitnessPal app? I only discovered the barcode scanner today and it recognised pretty much everything in the kitchen but wondering is it very accurate data?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's no harm double-checking sometimes. Some of the data in the database can be incorrect. But, by and large, it's right. Once you put something in, it's there so you only need to check its accuracy once so it's a one-off check.

Yeah was thinking that. The barcode scanner is amazingly helpful though I will do a double check. I'd say in the space of a week I'll have near anything I would eat saved so be a lot quicker to keep track, may just be difficult with fresh veg to find the right amounts (no packaging/labels). Cheers!

Advertisement