Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feed dogs sausages past use by date

• 17-05-2014 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Sausages in fridge have use by date of 12th may. Opinions on cooking them and feeding to dogs on the 17th May?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Grand... A hell of alot better than the **** thats in the cans labelled as "Dog Food"

'hdz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

They are probably ok, but probably isn't good enough when it comes to food.

I would dump them just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,060 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No harm at all. Sure don't dogs bury bones and dig them up later to chew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I would usually do a smell test, if they dont smell bad then i would defo use them but cook them very well.

If they do smell bad, then i wouldnt because i would think the garden would be destroyed if they didnt agree with his stomach. No point making the dog unwell for the sake of a few sausages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I would but purely based on some of the rancid crap I've seen my dog find in fields and eat with relish. She's always been fine.
    Only time shes been ill was when I first got her and she ate some chocolate left on the coffee table. She doesn't go anywhere near it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

General rule i go by, if they look fine and smell fine, they're ok. Cook them really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

If in doubt throw them out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Would you eat them yourself? If not don't expect the dog to.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

AmberGold wrote: »
    Would you eat them yourself?.

Thinking about it. My dogs eat grass and horse poo though. . wouldn't be my favourite dish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Would you eat them yourself, if not don't expect the dog to?

Op probably wouldn't eat dog food either, or raw chicken. Our digestive systems are different.

If they smell ok I'd cook them and feed them op. I wouldn't waste it in a dish though. Chop then up small and use as training treats, if your dog likes them as much as mine do, they'll be doing back flips for them :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Cook em give em to the dogs, they'll love you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Why even cook them ?

moonshadow wrote: »
    Why even cook them ?

To be honest, with pork and especially with the quality of meat in sausages I'd always cook them. My boys are mainly raw fed so it's not just the raw bit that gets me. I'm not sure why I'm squeamish about pork. It probably is unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

If food is out of date why take the chance of feeding it to the dog. Its not a walking garbage can.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

If food is out of date why take the chance of feeding it to the dog. Its not a walking garbage can.

A date isn't a rule merely a guideline ...

Trust me a dog will eat and enjoy alot worse than a fecking wrotten sausage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

hedzball wrote: »
    A date isn't a rule merely a guideline ...

Trust me a dog will eat and enjoy alot worse than a fecking wrotten sausage

True but with a perishable food I wouldn't give it to the dogs. Years ago one of mine got food poisoning we reckon from a post mans leg and we had to go to the vet, so I wouldn't risk it! Sausages only cost a couple of euro!

It's true they don't cost a lot, but if they smell fine and keeping in mind a dogs digestive system is well able to deal with things ours isn't, it's nice as a treat for them. In my opinion.

Those sell by dates are for human consumption. I'd bet that those sausages are fresher than a bag of dry food that's been open a few weeks for example. I'd be much happier with my dog eating meat past it's use by date (so long as it smells ok) than I would with them eating most tinned dog food for example.

Maybe I'm too relaxed about feeding, but I don't think so. I research every commercial food I give them, including treats, I believe a clean but varied diet is best. I do treat them somewhat like bins. If my husband has chicken and veg left over from dinner you can bet my dogs will love it. Some mash (before salt and butter goes in) always goes down well. Eggs, cracked over their food - they love it. They get raw off cuts from the butcher for their meals, some carefully chosen dinner left overs as a treat. Both of mine have had issues on commercial food and both thrive on the mixed diet they currently eat. I'd personally have absolutely no issue with cooking and using those sausages as training treats (I wouldn't give them as a full meal mind you, too many additives I think).

I know some people are squeamish when it comes to dates, I can't drink orange juice that's open more than one day :), but it works very well for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

Whispered wrote: »
    I'd personally have absolutely no issue with cooking and using those sausages as training treats (I wouldn't give them as a full meal mind you, too many additives I think).

These were tesco finest sausages:

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268429716

Dogs still alive today anyway :pac:

NZ_2014 wrote: »
    These were tesco finest sausages:

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268429716

Dogs still alive today anyway :pac:

Ah well if it's tesco finest that's another thing altogether. Sure you could have had them yourself :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Pork is the one meat my female can't tolerate. She always used to refuse a bit of sausage as a younger dog. It was only when I started feeding her raw that the intolerance was noticed, anytime she got a pork bone it either came back up or ran out the other end of her:(.

• Advertisement

Pork is the one meat my female can't tolerate. She always used to refuse a bit of sausage as a younger dog. It was only when I started feeding her raw that the intolerance was noticed, anytime she got a pork bone it either came back up or ran out the other end of her:(.

Is there something about pork that makes it more likely to cause an intolerance? I ask because I have in the back of my mind that I shouldn't feed it raw but I don't remember where I heard that. It's the one meat I always cook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Is there something about pork that makes it more likely to cause an intolerance? I ask because I have in the back of my mind that I shouldn't feed it raw but I don't remember where I heard that. It's the one meat I always cook.

Wasn't there a pork antibiotics scandal years ago or something like that? It's in the back of my mind too. There has been issues in other countries alright, I recall seeing posts on an american barf forum where raw pork had been an issue and was linked to the death of a dog.

It's not a meat I would regularly have anyway, I'm not that fond of it bar the odd sausage or ham joint, which is far too salty for the dogs anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I believe Pork is not particularly recommended for dogs - raw anyway. Pigs cant sweat so retain a lot of toxins in their bodies. Pork is also high fat content and is rich. There is a worm/parasite that can live in pork meat - its recommended that before feeding pork to dogs, that it be frozen for 3 wks to kill the parasite. If pork is well cooked it can be fed in moderation. But it seems a high percentage of dogs can have an allergy to pork meat (an allergy which develops over time) Ham/Bacon would have too many nitrates/salt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

aonb wrote: »
    I believe Pork is not particularly recommended for dogs - raw anyway. Pigs cant sweat so retain a lot of toxins in their bodies. Pork is also high fat content and is rich. There is a worm/parasite that can live in pork meat - its recommended that before feeding pork to dogs, that it be frozen for 3 wks to kill the parasite. If pork is well cooked it can be fed in moderation. But it seems a high percentage of dogs can have an allergy to pork meat (an allergy which develops over time) Ham/Bacon would have too many nitrates/salt

That parasite was eradicated in the late 60's - there's been no native cases reported in Ireland since then so it's fine to feed it (and fine for humans to eat it rare).. ;)

Advertisement