Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby exploding poo

Options
  • 17-05-2014 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

My 10 week old baby breastfeeds and during feed will have exploding poos. It leaks out her leg, up her back, up to her belly button and I’m constantly getting pooed on. I change her straight away. There are so many vest and sleep suit changes a day. I tried double nappying and inserted little mounds of cotton wool around the thighs and back to try to contain the poo. That works sometimes but I think I need a nappy in the shape of shorts. Does anyone else have the same problem or any solutions?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

new babies are great at exploding poo.
    It is worth trying different brands and sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Sounds totally normal to me! Both of mine used to do this. Could easily go through 6 sets of vest and babygrow in a day between poo and puke. No wonder I never put them in proper clothes til about 5 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Sounds totally normal to me! Both of mine used to do this. Could easily go through 6 sets of vest and babygrow in a day between poo and puke. No wonder I never put them in proper clothes til about 5 months!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Moonbeam wrote: »
    new babies are great at exploding poo.
    It is worth trying different brands and sizes.

Absolutely. We found Huggies crap, but Pampers great. Other people would say the opposite, probably comes down to something as simple as the shape of the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

My 10 week old baby breastfeeds and during feed will have exploding poos. It leaks out her leg, up her back, up to her belly button and I’m constantly getting pooed on. I change her straight away. There are so many vest and sleep suit changes a day. I tried double nappying and inserted little mounds of cotton wool around the thighs and back to try to contain the poo. That works sometimes but I think I need a nappy in the shape of shorts. Does anyone else have the same problem or any solutions?

Try aldi nappies, they have the most padding I have ever seen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Elliejo

In the dim and distant past when I was going through the same thing, I used the plastic pants that would go over a disposable nappy, and it did help quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Read your username as Smelly river.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 marleyandme

We used a mix of reusables and disposables when the little lady was smaller. You could guarantee a poop leak with the disposable but it was nearly always contained by the "plastic" wrap with the reusables. I bought mine as a bundle so can't recall how much the wraps were. They're totsbots brand and theyre pretty much wipe-clean except for the stretchy lines that go around the leg qnd waist band. Might be worth considering what someone mentioned above (on my phone and cant remember the poster's name, sorry) if you can predict times when it is probable (during a feed).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 marleyandme

We used a mix of reusables and disposables when the little lady was smaller. You could guarantee a poop leak with the disposable but it was nearly always contained by the "plastic" wrap with the reusables. I bought mine as a bundle so can't recall how much the wraps were. They're totsbots brand and theyre pretty much wipe-clean except for the stretchy lines that go around the leg qnd waist band. Might be worth considering what someone mentioned above (on my phone and cant remember the poster's name, sorry) if you can predict times when it is probable (during a feed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Aw I remember this so well. I breast fed for 10 weeks and she barely passed any stools but once I changed to formula, I literally spent my day just feeding, changing and washing. I think my record was 6 clothes changes in one day. I was exhausted from it. I always put her in babygros for handiness. People used to ask me did I like dressing her up and I didn't have the energy to explain how many times I had changed her that day. I know something had to change and I changed her from Aptamil to Cow and Gate and thankfully her bowels calmed down. Now, she's in one outfit for the whole day and she hasn't leaked out in 3 or 4 months. Woohoo ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Oh those breastfed poo's are great aren't they!! Can't offer much advice though sorry! Eventually they're little bowels settle down : ) I wish for those exploding poo's now that my LO can be constipated : (

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Absolutely normal....but have a think about your diet. If I drank orange juice I would have two days of outfit changes....for both of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Ah i remember my first spray tan rotten. try the Tesco nappies my and the wife though they were good never went back to Pampers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

daveohdave wrote: »
    Absolutely. We found Huggies crap, but Pampers great. Other people would say the opposite, probably comes down to something as simple as the shape of the child.

What this poster said, I don't think there is specifically a good or bad nappy, there are nappies that fit your particular child and there are nappies that don't.

Experiment with a few different ones and you'll get one that works and contains the exploding poo's (it's all coming back to me now!).

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Also remember that the envelope type neckline on the vests are designed so you can pull it down over the body if its soiled. It was a headscratcher on how I'd get a dirty vest off without a skid mark up the back of his head until a very wise boardsie told me they can come off either way. :)

Someone I know used to cut the vests off - good ones too. Was gutted I didnt tell them that tip at the very start!

Advertisement