Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remington 700 .17 centrefire

Options
  • 17-05-2014 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi all
    I'm looking for info on a .17 Remington,
    I found one fairly cheap and was considering investing...

I already have a .22 hornet and was wondering if the .17 would do much the same job just with a bit more range.
    Also, what are they pros and cons of the .17 centrefire?
    Any info greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Fine calibre much the same as the 223

Problem is the ammo cost is horrendous..

35-40 quid a box..

I'd keep the hornet personally

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭td5

The Rem .17 is a great calibre. Very underated in this country. Reasonably quiet with decent mod. Very flat shooting point and shoot out to 250 yds. Only down side as previous poster said was the cost of ammo. I am able to reload for mine which brings costs down to about 40 p a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭sharkfox

40p sounds great, much better than nearly €2 a shot... The price of the ammo is the main down side for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Ever thought about the .17 Hornet?

These micro-calibres seem to be catching on like crazy.

There's even a thread about this particular new-to-Europe calibre.

tac

sharkfox wrote: »
    40p sounds great, much better than nearly €2 a shot... The price of the ammo is the main down side for me.

That's the main benefit to reloading - the incredibly reduced cost of shooting.

I can shoot .308 Lapua Match ammunition at almost 3eu a shot, or I can reload to the same quality, consistency and accuracy for about 70c.

Everybody benefits -

1. The shooter because he or she can shoot more for their money.

2. The range organisation, because the shooter will invariably be spending money there, one way or another - it might be a 'pay-as-you-shoot' set-up, or one that has a retail store or eating facilties, and

3. The gun-trade retailer who sells propellants, bullets, primers and cases, as well as all the necessary reloading gear.

I've never heard of any retailer complain about lack of sales of factory ammunition. There will always be those shooters who shoot factory-made as they can't be a$$ed to reload, or are just too rich [:D], and in any case, the sales of reloading components and accessories far outweigh the sales of factory stuff.

tac

• Advertisement

I haven't tried the .17 hornet but I fired a few through the .17 hmr, great little round. It's only because the .17 centrefire is so cheap that I'm considering it.
    I'd be really interested in reloading for it but have no idea of how to do it.
    Is there classes or a course or do I just need to find someone to show me?

At the moment, reloading is generally not possible in the Republic, although the top-class Irish centefire target rifle shooters are able do it under very strictly-controlled measures, and in only the one location. However, we all live in hope that it will, some day, be something in which everybody can take part.

If you live in the north of the island, of course, it is part an parcel of the whole shooting experience, as it is in most other countries.

tac

Are you sure? A friend of mine bought a reloading kit a few months ago for his .308 I was there when he bought it and there was no mention of any restrictions or conditions

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You may own the tools and kit, but as for the act of reloading or buying/owning/possessing the primers and propellants, well it's only allowed under license. The scheme in the midlands is the only licensed reloading scheme i know of, and the people involved the only ones allowed to reload.

Anyone else is either doing so without authorisation or has somehow managed to get an individual license for reloading which given the huge amount in terms of cost and security needed is almost not worth the effort.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Are you sure? A friend of mine bought a reloading kit a few months ago for his .308 I was there when he bought it and there was no mention of any restrictions or conditions

Yessir, I AM sure.

It seems rather remiss of the saleman not to mention the possibility of breaking the current law of the RoI in actually carrying out any reloading unless he was part of the group that Cass mentioned.

tac

• Advertisement

Maybe so.... Either way I'm still no closer to deciding if I should buy the .17 rem.

Maybe so.... Either way I'm still no closer to deciding if I should buy the .17 rem.

how cheap..

I mean how much do you want to shoot ?

Ballistically the 204 is better and cheaper and just as quick..

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I shot a few foxes with a .17 centerfire over in Belgium with a friend of my father's on occassion and to be bluntly honest about it I don't see any good reason to run out and buy one if you already have a suitable small centerfire rifle to do the same job.

I shot a few foxes with a .17 centerfire over in Belgium with a friend of my father's on occassion and to be bluntly honest about it I don't see any good reason to run out and buy one if you already have a suitable small centerfire rifle to do the same job.

If you had to choose between a .22 hornet and a .17 Remington which would it be?

If you had to choose between a .22 hornet and a .17 Remington which would it be?

Hornet for ease of rounds and cheaper to shoot..

17 for more whack and something different..

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭td5

There is no comparison between a .22 Hornet and .17 Rem. If its a Vermin Buster par excellance anything from a crow upwards with no recoil and if moderated no louder than the Hornet the .17 is the way to go.

Advertisement