Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona vs Club Atlético de Madrid SS4 (17:00 - 17:55) & SS1 (17:15 - end)

• 17-05-2014 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

All season long these games have been enjoyable. It was a travesty that RTE/TV3 didn't show their CL meetings. Atleti deserved to win the second leg, Barca deserved to win their first leg, but crucially they didn't and more importantly both games were brilliant! These teams have drawn pretty much all season. They're tightly matched in every area and there's a such an excellent contrast to them too. Atleti are about physical pace, organisation, defence and counter attacking. Barca about patience, pressing, and attacking.

Form wise both teams, have been off the boil a bit lately. Atleti showing signs of nerve/fatigue, hard to say which. Barca playing with little to no coherence in attack. Far too static. One key question that will play a huge role in this match will be: How much distance with Messi cover?
    Lately, he's been hit and miss. Messi can win anyone any game but the way Barcelona play they require all players putting in their shift. If Messi is static their attacking play is far too predictable and leaves them heavily exposed to the counter attack.

On paper, Atleti have to be favourites. Barca's back line is missing. Mascherano and Pinto are capable of crazy moments. The latter also makes it far far easier for teams to play a high pressing game against Barca's back line. Bartra, while quality, is still inexperienced and has the unenviable task of managing Costa. Barca's forward line isn't exactly the most blunt of instruments either. They have to win too!

Problem is Atleti are in a very unique situation. They've been known to lose their shape a little recently. Costa looks off colour a bit lately, their defence has looked more shaky than it has been all season. Koke and Turan could do with some rest. This is also the time where they need to take their chances. They've squandered so many chances in their most recent matches it's quite startling.

The recipes are there for another intriguing game that is too hard to call as there are so many variables on both teams that can change the outcome. The "neutral" in me wants Atleti to win. Their season deserves at least one trophy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

On paper Barcelona are favourites because they are at home. In reality it's too close to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Barca only allocated just over 400 seats for away fans I believe, pretty scummy.

It's pretty much like that for all away teams fans in la liga. It's not exclusive to barca

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Forza Atleti Ale! Very excited about this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Forza Atleti Ale! Very excited about this one.

Jesus Christ!

Will you ever get off boards and start prepping your team for the biggest game in their season so far!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Barca only allocated just over 400 seats for away fans I believe, pretty scummy.

It's the norm in Spain if tickets are gonna sell out.

Scummy my hole. ****sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Come on Atletico - yes i'm jumping on the bandwagon, and you are not getting me off it!

Unearthly wrote: »
    Come on Atletico - yes i'm jumping on the bandwagon, and you are not getting me off it!

Hell yeah dude! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I think this will ultimately come down to the mentality and psychological condition that both sides are in.

For Barca, regardless of the outcome, this season will be viewed as a failure. The boardroom has split, the controversy over Neymar's transfer fee has proved a major embarrassment and the fans have turned on the team. If they win the league, it will just be one more title for most of these players, and probably not one that will feature heavily in any personal highlights reel.

This means that there is very little pressure on them. They had already conceded the title and consigned this season to the past. A title is a bonus, but it won't change the overall narrative, especially if Real Madrid go on to win the decima.

For Atleti, the pressure is immense. Realistically, most of these players will never scale these heights again. All season the question was when they would run out of steam. They were never the favourites and the fans hoped and dreamt rather than expected. Two weeks ago that changed. The 3,000 + away fans in Levante did not travel in hope. They went expecting to see the next Champions of Spain. The 55,000 fans packed into the Calderon last week would have felt the same way, especially as Barca struggled to break down a stubborn Elche side.

In the huge games that have defined Diego Simeone's side, they have always gone into them as underdogs, as a side riding the crest of a wave that was about to hit rocks. They thrived on this tag of the plucky underdog, turning in incredibly intense performances in the Copa del Rey final, the Champions League final and both league derbies. They need to find this intensity again today.

If they get nervous and edgy, they will allow Barcelona to settle into a routine. If they fly out of the traps, the fact that they want this so much more than their opponents should see them over the line.

Great post carlop.

I really wish I had bought tickets for this one rather than the one at the Calderon earlier on in the season. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Barca win, Messi winner. Serving notice ahead of the world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Great post carlop.

I really wish I had bought tickets for this one rather than the one at the Calderon earlier on in the season. :(

Ha funnily enough I also went over for the league match at the Calderon. I moved back to Dublin from Madrid last September. I really wish I'd stuck around one more year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

No xavi
    Line up: Pinto, Alves, Pique, Mascherano, Adriano, Sergio, Cesc, Iniesta, Alexis, Pedro and Messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Rooting for Atlético de Madrid all the way and I would love to see them do it.

miralize wrote: »
    No xavi

Pique is a bit of a gamble. He's only just back. Huge game to put him back into. Also, I'd have himself and Bartra.

No Xavi is a very interesting one. Can Cesc/Iniesta really perform his role? It's at moments like this where Barca's loss of Thiago seems all the more stupider.

Happy with Alexis / Pedro even though theyve been poor for a few weeks. They know whats at stake - if they work their asses off we can do this...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Come on Atleti, would love to see them do it.

"Xavi on the bench purely tactical. The last act of Tata who never fully believed in the FCB style" - Ballague.

#El11 del Atlético: Courtois, Juanfran, Miranda, Godín, Filipe Luis, Gabi, Tiago, Koke, Arda, Diego Costa y Villa

Attacking team.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Atleti Double Chance @ 23/20 with Coral and Pinnacle looks nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Was about to piss and moan about the 5.15 SS1 one thing till i noticed its on SS4 now.

• Advertisement

Ahh fudge, Gerry not in the studio. Good chance he's commentating now. For me, that's a pity. :( Still hopeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

The absence of Xavi from the starting line up today will prove crucial. 2-2 draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Turtwig wrote: »
    Ahh fudge, Gerry not in the studio. Good chance he's commentating now. For me, that's a pity. :( Still hopeful.

Can't wait for the abuse of Pinto to start. He absolutely hates him :pac:

Least, he's not like that Lawrenson chap with his abuse and the targets of abuse. Those disgusting insults at Diego Lopez. Couldn't believe Trevor Welch or whoever let him continue with it.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Would love to see A Madrid win it they deserve it but on the other hand if Barca win at least I won't have to look at a sulking son for the night. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Qatar v Azerbaijan

Cracking card display that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I would love to see Villa score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Come on Atleti!! :)

difficult to see that happen to anyone. If costa misses the cl/world cup i'd be gutted..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Costa. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Costa is done

• Feel sorry for Costa..World Cup in doubt also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Jaysis, that's a blow alright.

Also to chelsea.

Adrian on for costa

I know Pique has been booked, but Barca are getting away with murder here.

Unlucky if Turan has to go off too

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Turan as well :(

This is ridiculous, arda is going off now too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

:(:(:(

Can't believe this!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Small over worked squad is coming back to haunt.

• Advertisement

• Talk about ****e luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

This is horrible, Costa and Turan off...

Barca getting almost every call from the ref.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Talk about sh*te luck.

Masch leading with the elbow there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Talk about ****e luck...

Ha, snap :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Jesus this is disastrous. Hopefully the team can push on and get a result, and Costa and Turan receive favourable news on the injuries. Would be heartbreaking to miss out on the CL final now at this stage, or even the World Cup in Costa's case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

This ref is a joke.

• Barca tackle from behind again and get away with murder, and I hate when the constantly berate the referee and get in his face Messi getting away with it too

Johner wrote: »
    This ref is a joke.

absolute homer, Barca definitely getting favourable decisions here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

shrewdness wrote: »
    Jesus this is disastrous. Hopefully the team can push on and get a result, and Costa and Turan receive favourable news on the injuries. Would be heartbreaking to miss out on the CL final now at this stage, or even the World Cup in Costa's case.

Costa looked like a man who will be missing the champs league final, he was inconsolable on the bench.

• Advertisement
Advertisement