Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona vs Club Atlético de Madrid SS4 (17:00 - 17:55) & SS1 (17:15 - end)

123457»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Bn24eB5IMAIQBy-.jpg

How good would it be to be one of the 500 right now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'm well aware that in a large fanbase the majority don't care about politics but I'd still class it as a large minority myself, over 500 abused Marcelo and his son. It was a large section that abused Papa Diop. The fans of their underage teams were done by Uefa too. The clubs fan base has a long history of having fascist and racist elements and nothing has been done to eradicate it. Either by the club or the majority of fans.

At least Villareal dealt with the banana thrower.

Have been over there a number of times and never experienced an inkling of racism. Massive exaggeration.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

CSF wrote: »
    Have been over there a number of times and never experienced an inkling of racism. Massive exaggeration.

Complete rubbish. Atleti fans are fascists :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Bn24eB5IMAIQBy-.jpg

How good would it be to be one of the 500 right now :)

Bloody hell is that where they stuck them???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

CSF wrote: »

Same. 3 visits, never seen a sniff of bother. Fantastic place to watch a game of football. Along with the old San Mames my favourite football trips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Complete rubbish. Atleti fans are fascists :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

retalivity wrote: »

Think that's where the away fans always are.

• Simone looks like Johnny Connors from Glenroe :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Nice to see someone else win the title ,Barcelona didnt deserve to sneak it .

Messi was an absolute disgrace in that match today ,he wasnt trying a leg.
    Almost every time he got the ball he gave it away or chose the wrong option .
    He needs a boot up the behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Nice to see someone else win the title ,Barcelona didnt deserve to sneak it .

Messi was an absolute disgrace in that match today ,he wasnt trying a leg.
    Almost every time he got the ball he gave it away or chose the wrong option .
    He needs a boot up the behind.

Can only assume he's saving himself for the world cup. Otherwise, I'd have to question Barca giving such a big contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Turtwig wrote: »
    Can only assume he's saving himself for the world cup. Otherwise, I'd have to question Barca giving such a big contract.

Perhaps but saving himself doesn't mean he has to misplace every pass or hold the ball up too often.

Himself and Rooney have both been given huge new contracts on the back of very poor form and both players also seem to be trying to influence the clubs transfer policy if rumours are to be believed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Fair play Atleti. Fully deserved winners. Such a shame the Spanish FA are a bunch of morons and they were not awarded the trophy tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

gimmick wrote: »
    Fair play Atleti. Fully deserved winners. Such a shame the Spanish FA are a bunch of morons and they were not awarded the trophy tonight.

I can see why to be fair. A more heated affair and it could have been a disaster waiting to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Just lifted off the Beeb's Twitter feed;

z57jMIk.png

If true (and I'm not sure why they'd pluck figures from thin air), then that is bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

retalivity wrote: »

Bn2lI8GCIAIrRDc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Insane Rambling

blueser wrote: »

z57jMIk.png

If true (and I'm not sure why they'd pluck figures from thin air), then that is bizarre.

It's true!
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/01/qpr-higher-wage-bill-than-atletico-madrid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Turtwig wrote: »

I've no doubt he's been watching himself this last while ahead of the World Cup. That'd be fair enough for a team who had nothing to play for, but Barca were given a golden opportunity to win the league at home today, and he looked disinterested, not at all what you'd expect from a player who's been given such a contract this week. If anything you'd think that would put a spring in his step. You'd expect a big WC out of him this summer given how he's been playing within himself recently, otherwise you'd have to ask what's wrong with him.

shrewdness wrote: »
    I've no doubt he's been watching himself this last while ahead of the World Cup. That'd be fair enough for a team who had nothing to play for, but Barca were given a golden opportunity to win the league at home today, and he looked disinterested, not at all what you'd expect from a player who's been given such a contract this week. If anything you'd think that would put a spring in his step. You'd expect a big WC out of him this summer given how he's been playing within himself recently, otherwise you'd have to ask what's wrong with him.

If he replicates his recent performances in the World Cup, he seriously tarnishes his legacy IMO. Can't be considered the best of all time if he bottles this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Anyone know Barcas away fan allocation? Surprised there would be just 500 Atletico fans on such a huge occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone know Barcas away fan allocation? Surprised there would be just 500 Atletico fans on such a huge occasion.

You wouldn't get away with only having 500 away fans in any other country. That's Spain for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Last time Austria won Eurovision before this year was 1966 when

Atletico won La Liga
    Real won CL
    England won WC

2 down, 2 to go.

Random is random and all that jazz ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Roy Hodgson win world cup for England? Oh Jesus! I'll pray that doesn't come to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

Last time Austria won Eurovision before this year was 1966 when

Atletico won La Liga
    Real won CL
    England won WC

2 down, 2 to go.

Random is random and all that jazz ;-)

but that yr Liverpool won the league too so it ain't gonna happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Puts Joses success at Porto in perspective.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

blueser wrote: »

z57jMIk.png

It may be true but that's not the BBC sport account. Last time I checked sport wasn't spelt with an f......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

What Simeone has done at Atleti has to be ranked amongst the very best managerial achievements.

He took over a demoralised side, languishing in mid-table that had just been eliminated from the Copa del Rey by Albacete. The stadium was half-full with fans who would be very quick to turn on their players. The players themselves didn't seem too pushed, their enthusiasm for the game drained by the dour tactics of Gregorio Manzano. The club's finances were an absolute mess, the stadium was crumbling (and still is, a visit to the jacks in the Calderon is a harrowing experience) and their neighbours and bitterest rivals had an almost comical hold over them.

His appointment went largely unnoticed, as Atleti were no longer relevant. Nobody in Spanish football was with the exception of the eternal big two. Their duopoly over Spanish football was extending itself to the European stage. Barca and Madrid were regarded as another level, above the rest of Europe. No truly great player could not end up at one of the two. Every summer, they could cherry-pick the players of their choice from the rest of the continent, a ridiculous TV deal widening the gap to any potential rivals.

In only two and a half years, with largely the same squad that was humiliated by Albacete, Simeone has smashed the Barca/Madrid stranglehold on both Spanish and European football. The transformation has been so huge that had it happened in cycling, it would never be accepted. But in this instance (I sincerely hope) there are no dark arts at play. This has been a reminder that the old-fashioned values of hard work and balls can still get you somewhere in modern day football.

This victory is so much sweeter because these values are in such contrast to those of the big two. For over a decade, Real Madrid's solution to any problem has been change and money, both in huge quantities. It may ultimately bring them the decima they have bleated on about for so long, but it has created a dressing room that lacks the moral courage to truly front up when **** gets tough.

Barca's dogmatic, holier than thou approach to football resulted in some of the best football we have ever seen. Pep's Barca side were quite simply a joy to watch. But when teams began to counter this by playing a defensive, aggressive style, the reaction was pathetic. I would like to think that if one of Simeone's players ran to the press crying about anti-football he would very quickly be changing his ways or be out the door.

There is no time for primadonnas anymore at Atletico Madrid. Consequently, the spirit in the dressing room is stronger than any other top side in Europe. I had the privilege of watching this set of players every week as the self-belief flooded back into them, and a palpable sense that something special was being created swept over the Calderon. I'll admit I thought it had reached it's peak with the Copa del Rey victory last May. As I celebrated that day at Neptuno, I felt that in the modern game, this was as good as it could ever get for a side whose budget was so dwarfed by its rivals.

I've never been happier to be proved wrong, and my only regret is that I moved back to Dublin 9 months ago and missed out on the first-hand experience of this season. Next week, Simeone and his players can complete the journey. To win a first Champions League and deny Real Madrid their cherished decima in the process would be the pinnacle. There would quite simply be nowhere left to go.

The physical effort of yesterday will have taken it out of them, the injuries to their two best attacking players is a massive blow, and the sheer talent they will be facing is scary. But as we saw at half-time yesterday, Simeone has a hold over this group, and win or lose, they will leave everything they have out on the pitch.

I said it a few months ago, Atleti were the best side I had ever seen without the ball.

They have brought organisation, work-rate, discipline and tackling to a new level.

No one pulls out of a tackle, no one hides. But they play good football when its required.

It's a remarkable achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Re: The stadium being a bit run down, they are doing the bare minimum to keep it open until they move to the redeveloped La Peineta in a year and a bit.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Re: The stadium being a bit run down, they are doing the bare minimum to keep it open until they move to the redeveloped La Peineta in a year and a bit.

This is the plan unfortunately. The walk down from La Latina to the stadium was always nice on matchdays. La Peineta is out in the middle of nowhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's only like 15 minute walk from both Torre Aires, Avenida de Guadalajara and Las Rosas metro stops and only like 2 minutes from Las Masus and literally right beside Olimpico.

It will actually be easier to get to the new stadium than it is to Calderón.

Seaneh wrote: »
    It's only like 15 minute walk from both Torre Aires, Avenida de Guadalajara and Las Rosas metro stops and only like 2 minutes from Las Masus and literally right beside Olimpico.

It will actually be easier to get to the new stadium than it is to Calderón.

Well that would depend on where you are coming from and how you are getting there. The Calderon is a 20 minute walk from Puerta del Sol and Plaza Mayor.

I don't know that part of Madrid too well, but by my understanding it is all brand new and has none of the character that the areas around the Calderon do. I think the overall match-day experience will suffer a lot as a result, and the majority of fans are against the move.

In fairness the Calderon is an absolute ****e heap!

Still a brilliant place to watch a game of football though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Moneymaker wrote: »

If you can avoid the pistachios!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Couldn't agree more with posts 329/330, summed up Atletico perfectly.

Simeone has worked wonders, in fact miracles since he took over. He deserves all the credit coming to him.

This went on for about 3km between the Calderon and Neptune:

Bn8ur7yCcAAvkr7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Moneymaker wrote: »

This is true. I was in Madrid last year and said I'd head out to the Vicente Calderon while I was there (took an interest in them when Diego Forlan signed there).

I couldn't believe what bad condition it is in. Cheap carpet everywhere, paint faded and peeling off every surface in the place, the feeling of damp in the press areas and dressing rooms, cheap swimming pool tiles all over the dugouts, faded seats, piles of nut-shells all over the place....

Oddly enough though, it just made it feel like a place where people have been coming to watch their team play for the last 6 decades. A fantastic place to go to watch a game of football.

Delighted they won it. Vamos Atleti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

If people are going to get precious about pipas shells lying on the floor in Spanish grounds then they are in for a life of disappointment

A lot of the Spanish top flight facilities were built/redeveloped for the 82 World Cup and have character seeping out of every crack, people over there need to be careful what they wish for, all in the name of progress of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Bateman wrote: »
    If people are going to get precious about pipas shells lying on the floor in Spanish grounds then they are in for a life of disappointment

A lot of the Spanish top flight facilities were built/redeveloped for the 82 World Cup and have character seeping out of every crack, people over there need to be careful what they wish for, all in the name of progress of course

Nobody is giving out about them on the floor. If you're sitting in the lower sections in the Vicente Calderon they tend to f*ck the shells down on top of you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement