Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction prediction/tips 2014

• 17-05-2014 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

hi

i have not seen a thread for the construction theory exam so here it is

was wondering what use think might come up and what to look out for

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 69cokaz

My teachers has been saying that something on a passive house or sustainability will "almost definatly" come up, other then that, not a clue whats coming up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Obviously a drawing quesiton is guaranteed for question one and 7.

For the last number of years:
    - question 3 has been about redesigning the internal layout of a house for various reasons.
    - Question 6 has been about environmentally sustainable house design, very similar things being asked, a lot of cop on in this question.
    - Question 10a has been about passive house
    - Question 10b is the essay type question which again is quite a lot of cop on. if you are good at structuring your answre and not just waffling you could do well in this question.

Obviously U-value questions have come up every year for 20 years

I would say that a drawing question to include passive house detailing would be quite likely to come up over the next few years if not this year.
    Also with water charges being such a popular topic this year it could be something that will come up with water supply to a house or water systems in a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭omara95

Our teacher said he thinks the septic tank should come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

what do you think the drawing question will be? do u think that it could be a timber frame detail ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

seavill wrote: »
    Obviously U-value questions have come up every year for 20 years

I have a funny feeling that the infamous U value mightn't come up. I thought it wouldn't come up last year, but one of these years, it won't. Maybe I'm just being too pedantic about the SEC though. It has come up year on year, but it still isn't a guaranteed question...

Those of you doing the exam, don't take Q5 for granted, the SEC have copped onto all these predictions...
    You can only guarantee 1 and 7. IMO, if you do DCG or are anyways decent at drawing, then them 2 questions are no-brainers, a lot of the drawings can overlap each other, e.g. top of window and top of door are similar, once you know the foundations, then the suspended timber floor is just a small add on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Its still one I would know going in, if you understand how to do the question no matter what way they ask it you will be able to do it, so why not make sure its covered, easier than learning off a chapter.

That's not to say its a guarantee its not but it has some up so it would be one I would have ready just in case if you can at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Ohh ya definitely, be very foolish not to know it, giving its history! Not a difficult one to know either.

Advertisement