Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting to think of getting new dog/pup

• 17-05-2014 4:29pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, I want to start thinking of getting a new dog or pup.

It's a big decision because there are lots of other factors in place also.

However I was wondering if some of you would have details of the various rescues/pounds in the limerick area. if so could you please pm me the details.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Regarding the rescues; how much time will the dog be alone in the house, and will it be a regular occurrence? Eg; 9-5 weekdays.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

the_syco wrote: »
    Regarding the rescues; how much time will the dog be alone in the house, and will it be a regular occurrence? Eg; 9-5 weekdays.

Well, I'm a student and hubby works shifts, so usually the max time they would be alone is 5 hrs or so. That wouldn't be regularly either, we have a large garden and live surrounded by fields.

We just have one dog now since rusty died, so they would have company as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Well, I'm a student and hubby works shifts, so usually the max time they would be alone is 5 hrs or so. That wouldn't be regularly either, we have a large garden and live surrounded by fields.

We just have one dog now since rusty died, so they would have company as well.

Is your garden fully enclosed? A lot of rescues expect the outdoor area to be fully enclosed to prevent the dogs escaping and terrorising sheep/getting run over by cars on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

OP asks for details; gets questions instead. <snip> But I know people who are not keen on them so they have formed another rescue group themselves. Can't remember the name but I can get the details.

Back home in Thurles there is a rescue who will travel to home check and home a dog. They have a fb page if you are interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

OP asks for details; gets questions instead.
    She also asked for details to be PM'd and not posted as naming/discussing individual rescues isn't allowed as per our forum Charter.

Angeldaisy have you looked at the umbrella list of rescues?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

anniehoo wrote: »
    She also asked for details to be PM'd and not posted as naming/discussing individual rescues isn't allowed as per our forum Charter.

Angeldaisy have you looked at the umbrella list of rescues?

My bad on the naming thing.

I have looked at the list, but I thought I'd heard of a few different ones opening which weren't on the list.

Don't worry everyone we will meet all the requirements for adoption :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I have looked at the list, but I thought I'd heard of a few different ones opening which weren't on the list.

Don't worry everyone we will meet all the requirements for adoption :-D

Any ideas what you might be after? Breeds etc? I have a few Limerick places on my Facebook and a relative of mine lives there and did some fostering so she might know as well, depending on what you're after!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Any ideas what you might be after? Breeds etc? I have a few Limerick places on my Facebook and a relative of mine lives there and did some fostering so she might know as well, depending on what you're after!

No idea! probably something medium to large rather than a small breed. We have a female terrier at the min.
    Not fussy on breed etc, always had mutts and never came back with what I went looking for!
    So now I reckon I'll just know when I find the right dog, if that makes sense??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

No idea! probably something medium to large rather than a small breed. We have a female terrier at the min.
    Not fussy on breed etc, always had mutts and never came back with what I went looking for!
    So now I reckon I'll just know when I find the right dog, if that makes sense??!

you go looking for one then one finds you :D

unless your like me and my daughter we would want them all

• Advertisement
Advertisement