Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!! Are my plants dying?

• 17-05-2014 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Have planted these shrubs last year and wondering are they okay
    Also I labelled one of the plants the one labelled guelder rose is actually Chinese magnolia

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/98328891@N07/

The bottle brush was all green a week ago but parts of it are a bit yellow with spots and stripes of brown the green has faded.An 8 inch branch was torn off by my dog
    The magnolia has bits of brown on the leaves and I accidentally tore of part of branch with the bud that a dead leaf was growing from. There are still some ungrown buds on the branch will the branch continue to grow and more leaves grow from there.technically all that came off was the leaf,flower bud and any adjoining green part not really any major part of the branch.will it regrow and how can I promote growth of more branches??
    The spirea seems dried out with brown leaves scattered around the rest of the plant is okay the same can be said
    About the fuchsia the top looks dried up compared to the rest of the plant which seems healthy. Any information and tip would be great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You are right, they don't look very happy. What is all that stuff under them, is it manure, maybe it was too fresh and has done damage, but there seems to be a number of problems. Is the site very exposed, we have had some pretty strong winds recently could have burned the new growth. You haven't been / are adjacent to a field where there might have been spraying?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

looksee wrote: »
    You are right, they don't look very happy. What is all that stuff under them, is it manure, maybe it was too fresh and has done damage, but there seems to be a number of problems. Is the site very exposed, we have had some pretty strong winds recently could have burned the new growth. You haven't been / are adjacent to a field where there might have been spraying?

No spraying nearby as far as I know .all that stuff is soil/compost/ chippings from when it was planted.can the plant be salvaged I think it might be fungus attack It has been extremely wet . Can they be salvaged would a basic baking soda fungicide be good to use on it? Could it be saved if it was fertiliser burn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can't be sure what is precisely wrong with all of them but in the absence of better advice I would spray with a fungicide and a foliar feed. Look at each plant carefully and see if any branches are dying back (scrape with your thumbnail, if it is brown it is dead, if it is green it is ok) and cut back to live wood. Gather up any wood and leaves that you cut off.

They seem to be stressed, I rather think the ground might not have been prepared well enough for them. If you take a plant out of a pot where it is in compost, especially if it has been in the pot too long and the roots have wound round the pot, and just put it into heavy clay ground, or ground that has not been well dug, then the roots do not spread out into the surrounding soil. You need to dig a bigger hole than the root-ball, loosen the soil around the hole, add a good bit of compost and soil mixed, around it, then water the shrub in. If the site is very exposed the shrub might need a bit of protection (something like fleece) over the worst of the winter, wind can do a lot of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

Well the thing is they were planted seven months ago and it's only now looked like that I had done everything you said prepared with compost etc
    The thing is with the magnolia all the leaves have browned considerably
    The bottle brush has wilted a bit more as well as the fuchsia where entire branches have wilted.the spires has also gotten worse
    Will the wilted leaves be replaced by new greener ones or are or they screwed completly?should I prune the leaves and how at which point should I cut them at

Advertisement