Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Westmeath v Louth

• 17-05-2014 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

The slow start to the Championship continues.

What sort of shape both side are in is tough to know exactly but with both teams bottom of Division 1 and Division 2 respectively and relegated it's fair to say neither is in great shape.

You'd say Westmeath are deserved narrow favourites with the bookies but you'd wouldn't have a whole lot of faith in saying it.

Link to Radio 1 commentary
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/

Presume local radio is covering it as well.

Teams below - would be surprised if Heslin does play full-forward, I'd have further out the field myself

Westmeath: Darren Quinn; Damian Dolan, Kieran Gavin, Kevin Maguire; Ronan Foley, Paul Sharry, James Dolan; David Duffy, Ray Connellan; Callum McCormack, Ger Egan, Kieran Martin; Denis Glennon, John Heslin, Dessie Dolan.

Louth: Neil Gallagher; Padraig Rath, Dessie Finnegan, Gary O’Hare; John O’Brien, Derek Crilly, Adrian Reid; Paddy Keenan, Mick Fanning; Patrick Reilly, Brian White, Andy McDonnell; Declan Byrne, Shane Lennon, Derek Maguire.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Conor Grimes replaces Patrick Reilly for Louth

Westmeath 0-3 Louth 0-0

sounds scrappy enough fare so far after 15 minutes.

Westmeath 0-3 Louth 0-1

Westmeath 0-3 Louth 0-3

After a very quiet first 10 minutes, the game has sprung to life.

Westmeath 0-4 Louth 0-3

http://www.midlandsradio.fm/news

22 mins Westmeath 0-4 Louth 0-4

• Advertisement

22 mins Westmeath 0-4 Louth 0-5

Sounds like Westmeath have missed a few scoreable chances.

Louth do have "the wind" but don't know how strong it is.

Louth have 8 wides as well

Westmeath 0-5 Louth 0-5

Westmeath 0-5 Louth 0-6

Westmeath 0-5 Louth 0-7 32 minutes

• Advertisement

Westmeath 0-5 Louth 0-8 HT

Westmeath totally gone out of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,651 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hon the Wee.

Westmeath 0-6 Louth 0-8

Heslin just had a wide from distance so Westmeath came out lively.

Shot at goal saved by Louth keeper.

Winner plays Kildare

Westmeath 0-6 Louth 0-9

Westmeath 1-7 Louth 0-9

Westmeath 1-8 Louth 0-9

Westmeath 1-8 Louth 0-10

Westmeath 1-9 Louth 0-10

Game in the mix now.

Westmeath 1-9 Louth 0-11

Westmeath 1-9 Louth 1-11

Burns 18 year old sub with the goal. Remember the name.

• Advertisement

Westmeath 1-9 Louth 1-12

62 minutes gone

Almost another goal for Louth.

Westmeath 1-9 Louth 1-13.

Sounds close to job done by Louth

Westmeath 1-9 Louth 1-14 about 2 minutes of normal time left.

Think the Ryan Burns lad from Louth that got the goal might still be only 17

Westmeath 1-9 Louth 1-14 FT

A terrible year for Westmeath football. Hard to see them doing much in the qualifiers.

Louth to have a rattle off Kildare the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Think the Ryan Burns lad from Louth that got the goal might still be only 17

18 yrs 101 days according to LMFM just now.

EDIT: or maybe not. 17 according to this piece:

thescore.ie/ryan-burns-wonderkid-louth-1463357-May2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Westmeath have been disastrous since they got promotion to Div.1 , quite a poor side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Miccoli wrote: »
    Westmeath have been disastrous since they got promotion to Div.1 , quite a poor side.

Getting rid of Pat Flanagan was a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    A terrible year for Westmeath football. Hard to see them doing much in the qualifiers.

Especially since they are in the Group of Death (Group B).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Especially since they are in the Group of Death (Group B).

What's this group thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Yeah he did quite a decent job although they never performed in championsip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Good performance by the Louth team tonight after the disastrous league campaign we have had. The players all put the shoulder to the wheel and dug out the victory . When Westmeath got the goal and a point in quick successions I thought it was the usual collapse scenario for Louth, but they upped their game and finished the game out well.

Some horrific shooting by both teams through the game,Louth seemed to want the victory more, proud of the players for the efforts tonight, Paddy Keenan a masterclass as ever in the Louth jersey.And for young Burns who came on and bagged the goal for us, well done and savour the moment .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Well I would put it this way, putting Bealin in as a manager was a joke.... I am not from westmeath so just an opinion. I think the comments he makes in the media are out of order and shows a lack of belief and respect to his players. I would not be happy if I was a player under his management.. comments like this "“There is probably a lack of leadership in my team at the moment. There are players who played well, but not for 70 minutes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Well I would put it this way, putting Bealin in as a manager was a joke.... I am not from westmeath so just an opinion. I think the comments he makes in the media are out of order and shows a lack of belief and respect to his players. I would not be happy if I was a player under his management.. comments like this "“There is probably a lack of leadership in my team at the moment. There are players who played well, but not for 70 minutes"

If the players aren't there he can't just conjure them up. All he can do is be honest and if you're losing to a Louth team that have just been relegated after being hammered our the gate in Division 2, it doesn't take the manager to confirm there are shortcomings.

There's no point sticking your head in the sand. We lost years in Cavan because problems were ignored and swept under the carpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭bidiots

Westmeath have plenty of young up and coming managers who know the scene and the players and would command respect and commitment, yet, the job was given to an outsider with a dubious inter-county record at best.
    Considering the expenses involved, how Bealin managed to get the job should be investigated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Lemlin wrote: »
    If the players aren't there he can't just conjure them up. All he can do is be honest and if you're losing to a Louth team that have just been relegated after being hammered our the gate in Division 2, it doesn't take the manager to confirm there are shortcomings.

There's no point sticking your head in the sand. We lost years in Cavan because problems were ignored and swept under the carpet.

He comes from a negative angle. Why doesn't he say that he is looking for guys to step up to the leadership roles rather than saying there are no leaders in the team. He shouldn't be stating the weak side of the team. This should be all private and not for everyone to read. I think he knew they were going to get beaten and he is just covering his ass before the fall comes. That's what I got from it when I read his comments a week or so.

He offers nothing imo ....only stating the problems. Flanagan is a better manager imo and he was let go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

bidiots wrote: »
    Westmeath have plenty of young up and coming managers who know the scene and the players and would command respect and commitment, yet, the job was given to an outsider with a dubious inter-county record at best.
    Considering the expenses involved, how Bealin managed to get the job should be investigated.

He must be very convincing in interviews as from what I've heard from when he was over a club team in Kildare was that he was useless. I don't think he has had massive success anywhere either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭bidiots

He must be very convincing in interviews as from what I've heard from when he was over a club team in Kildare was that he was useless. I don't think he has had massive success anywhere either.

Its too easy to blame Bealin in fairness, he succeeded in getting the job. How his name entered the mix and subsequently awarded the position is what's worrying.
    Does the chairman hold the power in deciding who gets the job? Who is influencing the chairman? It's all a bit fishy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Jobs for the ex-Dublin boys! Someone will have to go in the county board for promoting these appointments.

When will counties realise that previous playing experience has little bearing on the quality of managers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭patmac

As a Westmeath supporter the whole thing is very depressing another 2 game championship on the cards we could go the whole season losing all our games, 0 steps forward and 2 steps back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement