Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEO Help

• 17-05-2014 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

When I search for some popular search terms for my industry, some fair well. Then when I put in "Ireland" (as many people do) at the end of the search term, it fairs poorly. Another popular word people would put in at the end is "online", but this also effects my ranking.

Should I change all my page titles in the admin, and include "Ireland" and "online". It was my thinking that Google din't need/want or advice this?

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

Hi there,

When I search for some popular search terms for my industry, some fair well. Then when I put in "Ireland" (as many people do) at the end of the search term, it fairs poorly. Another popular word people would put in at the end is "online", but this also effects my ranking.

Should I change all my page titles in the admin, and include "Ireland" and "online". It was my thinking that Google din't need/want or advice this?

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.

It really depends. Are 'Ireland' and 'online' keywords heavily searched on among your target market, relative to the ones you rank for?

How important is it to rank for these terms, compared to putting more work into the other terms which currently fare well?

I don't think it makes any sense to change ALL page titles, but you could look to incorporate those keywords within the existing tags (perhaps by removing other keywords which may not be as important). However, if your sector is even mildly competitive, this may have little to no effect - it's really more about the overall themes across the site, your content, links, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Atomico wrote: »
    It really depends. Are 'Ireland' and 'online' keywords heavily searched on among your target market, relative to the ones you rank for?

I think so. Like people would use "Ireland" to filter out the UK sites. When I search for "fishing tackle", Google's similar searches include "fishing tackle online". "fishing tackle" is the main search term for my industry and I do not show up at all. When I search for "Fishing Tackle Cork", I'm on page 4. My best ranking is for "Sea Fishing Rigs" and "Hokkai Rigs", where I'm on the first page.

For "Fishing Rods" (another major search term), I'm on page 4. But "Fishing Rods Ireland" and I don't rank at all..
    How important is it to rank for these terms, compared to putting more work into the other terms which currently fare well?

If I were searching for an item, I'd probably use "Ireland" and "online" to filter out unwanted pages. But as you say, improving the terms should go along way for higher rankings. Time will tell!
    I don't think it makes any sense to change ALL page titles, but you could look to incorporate those keywords within the existing tags (perhaps by removing other keywords which may not be as important). However, if your sector is even mildly competitive, this may have little to no effect - it's really more about the overall themes across the site, your content, links, etc.

It is a highly competitive, no doubt. I have only have an online presence since January, so it's early days. Still have loads more products/content to add, so might just see if rankings and hits will improve over time.

Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement