Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is Cork like to live in?

Options
  • 17-05-2014 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I am contemplating mvoing to Cork and going back to college part time in September, for those of you living there at the minute what are the pros and cons and what do you like best and dislike the most?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Yerra tis grand like

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

I am also supposed to be moving to Cork very soon. I'll be working in Blackpool (Shopping Centre) but was told that Blackpool is a bit of a hole. True or false? Any suggestions about relatively decent areas within about 20 minutes walk of there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yes, Blackpool is as rough as sandpaper...Parklands isn't too bad and you can walk in from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Yes, Blackpool is as rough as sandpaper...Parklands isn't too bad and you can walk in from there.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I am also supposed to be moving to Cork very soon. I'll be working in Blackpool (Shopping Centre) but was told that Blackpool is a bit of a hole. True or false? Any suggestions about relatively decent areas within about 20 minutes walk of there?
    I wouldn't agree with the other response. Blackpool is ok, and I would regard the surrounding areas as being a bit worse. The city centre is only 20 mins walk from Blackpool. I used to live in a very nice apartment in Blackpool and I always found it an ok spot. It was far nicer than the area I grew up on in the much vaunted 'southside'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

City centre, North side would be 15-20 min walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I wouldn't agree with the other response. Blackpool is ok, and I would regard the surrounding areas as being a bit worse. The city centre is only 20 mins walk from Blackpool. I used to live in a very nice apartment in Blackpool and I always found it an ok spot. It was far nicer than the area I grew up on in the much vaunted 'southside'.

I live on the Northside, and you couldn't pay me to live in Blackpool. It IS as rough as sandpaper, and the village is literally rotting away through neglect. You also fail to mention it's prone to flood. Often.

Dublin Hill might be a good place to look if you're working in the shopping centre. It's a 10 min walk tops to get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

It's a nice little city - good food, pubs, shops and people.

The public transport can be a bit crap but that's the same everywhere in Ireland, you might also see some "undesirables" around town but, once again, that's the same everywhere. It's not half as bad as Dublin in that regard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I had completely lost all hope for Cork living on the outskirts as such but thought it was after getting very rough and boring, but after doing a few road trips recently and taking a few trips into town do you know it isn't the worst of spots to live in. Its not too big and not too small, great selection of shops and restaurants to everyones likes.

Not too bad to nip out to the outskirts, and theres plenty of selection of places to live.Would think alright that they should have more free parking or cheaper places to rent but sure what to do..

North side I think some parts are fine but tis very clannish I think. If you from there then your grand if not id say leg it...

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Depends what you want, if you're foot loose and fancy free then Dublin is the spot to be. Then most of the people l know that aren't from Dublin move out when they start getting married due to house prices, traffic etc.

One thing l can say about Cork is we love our sport, GAA, soccer, rugby, golf, whatever you want there are clubs everywhere. But then if you're not into sport that's no matter. But a buddy of mine who is from Mayo moved down with his family of 3 kids, now they're big into sports, but they absolutely love the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

it's pure daycent boi!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Kazbah wrote: »
    it's pure daycent boi!

'Tis bah. Be daazah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Ex motorcyclists all over the shop, there's no escape

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

bogman wrote: »
    Ex motorcyclists all over the shop, there's no escape

Shat a drveshaft again, BM? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cork is a great place to live in as a student. Two big energetic campuses, UCC and CIT. Loads of events always planned by those student unions. Plenty of socs and clubs to chose from for sports and interests. If you are into any watersport whatsoever you will be spoilt for choice. Rowing clubs, yacht clubs, kayakers... cork is a massive natural harbour, loads of fun to explore.

I love Cork city center. Small enough to walk around, but big enough to have plenty of everything. Lots of pubs and places to eat, places I've never gotten to, and i've lived here most of my life. The english market is fantastic for food, especially for students with a bit of imagination and on a budget. All your odd bits of meat available there.

It's also a great base for seeing the south coast of the country. Kinsale, west cork, kerry, limerick, waterford are all very accessible from cork.

Transport links are ok too, nothing transatlantic though. Ferry to europe, or airport to heathrow/schiphol and off you go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭CCWrestling

Its awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Cork is a lovely city populated by friendly good natured and sports loving people.Were a warm and welcoming bunch but if you act the langer with us then we'll give it back to you twice as hard!:pac: Cork has it's nice aspects and not so nice aspects but all in all it is in my subjective opinion the nicest city in Ireland.:)

Advertisement