Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of painting walls in a house

Options
  • 17-05-2014 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

hi,

I'm living in a 3 bedroom house and got a price off a guy who's not a painter to paint my house. he quoted me 400- 450 to just paint the inside walls. is this a bit excessive?

oh and I have to supply the paint. I'm living in the Midlands.

thanks in advance,

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

hi,

I'm living in a 3 bedroom house and got a price off a guy who's not a painter to paint my house. he quoted me 400- 450 to just paint the inside walls. is this a bit excessive?

thanks in advance,

The interior of the whole house?

Ceilings?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DeborahMeaden

no just the walls, no ceilings mentioned.
    The interior of the whole house?

Ceilings?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,892 ✭✭✭✭L1011

With the paint or without? Doing the woodwork or not?

I've to supply the paint and no no woodwork mentioned either.
    MYOB wrote: »
    With the paint or without? Doing the woodwork or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP it's prob not a good idea to paint the walls and not do the woodwork and ceilings at the same time- you could end up with really fresh looking walls next to a tired ceiling. A freshly painted brilliant white ceiling really helps the light in the room.

Also you say this guy is not a painter- does he know what he is doing ? Because painting is a pretty skilled job and if he is clueless then you're likely to end up with walls that look like a dogs dinner and crooked lines. Painting is very easy to mess up if you dont know what you're doing and if I was paying money for it I'd want peace of mind that the person knows how to get a high quality painters finish to the job.

I got quotes for painting a 30sqm room earlier this year, they ranged from €120 all the way to €500 so my advice is get a number of other quotes from other sources. In the end I did the job myself over a weekend, it was hard work but I'm really happy with the finish achieved.

Finally if you need to buy paint then B&Q are giving 20% off any spend over €50 this weekend only, it could save you a decent bit if you're buying your paint all at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

The last quote I had to get my (small) house painted was a thousand euro! That sounds like a real bargain to be honest!

You will need to get the lot done at the same time though, the finished effect could be very poor otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭myIdea

hi,

thanks in advance,

That seems very reasonable to be honest... 3 bedrooms, kitchen, living-room, hall, stairs and landing ?

If it took him 4days @ €500 total (some walls might need a second coat) its only €120 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Getting walls only painted by a handyman is a recipe for disaster. As already stated ceilings and woodwork will look tired and dirty. Chances are, he will slobber paint on skirtings, not do any filling and probably only apply one coat.

Best to get 2-3 rooms done properly this year and same next year, this way your house will look fresh all the time and less expensive to maintain.

Yeah seems silly of me to go and do that and nothing really else. I might wait a year and do the whole lot then. thanks all for your replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

If he's a handy man then €100-€120 a day (8-5) is plenty.

Did he tell you how long it would take?

• Advertisement

I think he mentioned about 2 days.
    nudger wrote: »
    If he's a handy man then €100-€120 a day (8-5) is plenty.

Did he tell you how long it would take?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I think he mentioned about 2 days.

Two days to do the masking of skirtings, filling and painting of the walls in an entire house?

I'd run a mile from this guy to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I'd recommend, as suggested above, doing some rooms now, and others at a later stage. It makes it more manageable, in my opinion, financially and also if clearing out rooms etc, for painting. So, for example, the rooms in most need of freshening up this year, and the rest next year.
    I would shop around also, and get an idea of whether or not it is a reasonable price.
    As suggested above, there is a good deal of prep work etc in painting, so you do need to know that the person will do all of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

€200+ a day, into the hand I'm guessing, nice money for a handy man.

A couple of questions, is it your house, if it is then get the ceilings done first.

Are you white/magnolia out the house or are you using lots of different colours?

2 days for 3 beds, wc, landing, stairs, hall, 2 sitting rooms, kitchen, I don't think he will get a good job done in that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

Will he know to check the paint if it's been properly mixed before he chucks it on the walls? Is he doing an undercoat, using special treatments for any water marks, filling, 1-2 coats?

Ring around a few painting companies, get them to look over your house for walls only and ask lots of questions as to what is involved, and get them to submit you a quote in writing.

If you're talking about 6 rooms in total (3 bedrooms, a bathroom, sitting room and kitchen) plus landing, stairs and downstairs hall, for walls only done in two days, in a short time scale, I assume he is doing it alone, then I'd be wary of the price. You also have the cost of providing paint, which can be expensive for the various undercoats and colours and the different sizes, assuming of course, he told you how many liters you'd need per room of each colour.

I was living in a rented 3 bed terraced house, owner got it painted, all one colour, ceiling and walls only of bedrooms (plus 1 ensuite), bathroom, landing, stairs, tiny hall (i.e. literally at the bottom of the stairs to one footstep to the front door), sitting room and kitchen.... no idea how many coats or any special treatment done, but excluded any and all woodwork. Took about just over a week (week days only) one guy doing it alone, from about 8/9am until about 4/5pm. No idea of the price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There's not a hope that can be done in two days. Painting the actual walls itself is easy and quick with modern rollers. But when painting you actually spend about 50% of the total time moving furniture and prepping the area with painters tape and drop sheets so you don't get paint all over the skirting boards and carpets. The prep to painting alone is a timely process, I'd say it would take almost 1.5 days to prep an entire 3 bed house for painting.

OP you need to check with this guy exactly what is and isn't included, even get it in writing. Because the way he is quoting you seems to me to that he is just going to put one coat on (often inadequate) and not do any skirting or ceilings.

If I were you I'd DIY but just do one room at a time. If you have two people you can easily get an entire room cleared out, prepped and walls, ceilings and skirting painted with two coats all in one day. You could chip away at it one room at a time, one Saturday each month. Then when there are only two rooms left go for a weekend blitz to put the job to bed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

thanks in advance,

Its not excessive.
    Providing he does a good job- its a deal of the century.
    I recently got a quote for a 3 bed- and it came to over 2k (the guy and his assistant reckoned it would take over a week all told).

As per above- get the whole lot done- its a false economy just getting the walls done. Obviously the quote is just for the walls, its so low- ask for a revised quote to include the ceilings, skirting, doors etc.

Advertisement