Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A journey from fat(ish) to fit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Well done on the Parkrun, they're a great asset to have in the locality. Half thinking of heading to Cootehill myself next week but the GF is suggesting going to Ikea so I'll probably end up at Waterstown or Poppintree instead.

As for your running, I was always told to worry about frequency first, then duration, and then intensity last. This is what I've followed and I'm doing very well injury and niggle wise. First of all, get your body used to running on a regular basis, say 4 times a week. Then, when you've done that, start making one of the 4 a longer run, and finally, when you're used to running 4 days a week with one long run, make one of them a speed session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done on the parkrun - I didn't do it today but the other half did and the feedback I got was that it's a tough course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I did a very short 15 min run on the way home from work. I'll have a better idea of how it went in the morning but my ankle and calf both feel fine at the minute. Hopefully the injuries are finally behind me and I can back to some structured training. It's been a frustrating few months.

Bad news this morning, my ankle is playing up again. I'm booked in to see the physio next week, I've rested it for a month on two separate occasions over the summer and it's just not healing on its own. If a 15 min run at an incredibly slow pace is too much for it, it's time to get something done. I can get my calf and shoulder sorted at the same time. It's obviously going take a good few visits.

I'll do Cootehill Parkrun on Saturday anyway, swim Wednesday and see the Physio on Thursday. I can't plan anything else short term until I see what she says.

Are you sure it's a good idea to do a Parkrun when you're ankle is not right?

You're running a very real risk of turning what is hopefully only a small injury into a serious one that might keep you out for a long time.

Do you have a turbo trainer? Might be a good investment, set it up in the garage and you can ride your bike over the winter, plenty of exercise if you can't run and also works different muscle groups complimenting your running when you can.

• Advertisement

It's probably a very bad idea to be honest but I love running and I'm afraid she'll tell me to lay off it for another month or more so I wanted to get one last run in. Maybe a spin on the bike would be a better idea, just a quick 20km or so.

I hadn't heard of a turbo trainer before, if I'm not allowed to run for a long time it might be a good option. I can't go back to sitting about the whole time or I'll end up putting a load of weight on again.

Sounds to me like a spin on the bike might be a better idea. You can always go to the Parkrun and volunteer.

I'd be afraid that the one last easy run might just be the one that causes the damage. The straw that broke the camels back and all that.

hopefully the weather is good enough to cycle. I don't mind it being cold or frosty, I just hope it's not too windy.

Wind will just make you work harder, hit an icy patch though and you'll know all about it.

I don't even look at my speedo this time of the year. My focus at the moment is running and I try to get in about 100k on the bike every week (3 spins), keeping them all just easy spinning.

I find it great for sore legs from hard running, almost as good as a massage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

pointer28 wrote: »
    Are you sure it's a good idea to do a Parkrun when you're ankle is not right?

You're running a very real risk of turning what is hopefully only a small injury into a serious one that might keep you out for a long time.

Do you have a turbo trainer? Might be a good investment, set it up in the garage and you can ride your bike over the winter, plenty of exercise if you can't run and also works different muscle groups complimenting your running when you can.

Listen to this advice. It's crazy to consider a park run on an injured ankle!

• Advertisement

OK, new short term plan until I have the all clear to run again.

Monday - 30 min cycle in the woods.
    Tuesday - Rest.
    Wednesday - Swimming lessons.
    Thursday - 30 min cycle in the woods.
    Friday - Rest.
    Saturday - 60 min cycle in the woods.
    Sunday - Rest.

It's enough to keep my fitness levels up. The thoughts of winter cycling on the road don't appeal to me so I figure I'll dust off the Mountain bike and just stop on the way home from work the way I would if I was running. I just hope it fits in the boot of the car.

OK, new short term plan until I have the all clear to run again.

Monday - 30 min cycle in the woods.
    Tuesday - Rest.
    Wednesday - Swimming lessons.
    Thursday - 30 min cycle in the woods.
    Friday - Rest.
    Saturday - 60 min cycle in the woods.
    Sunday - Rest.

It's enough to keep my fitness levels up. The thoughts of winter cycling on the road don't appeal to me so I figure I'll dust off the Mountain bike and just stop on the way home from work the way I would if I was running. I just hope it fits in the boot of the car.

My 1st ever off road cycle was this morning, boy it was tough. Most of it was just on leaf covered gravel but once I went off the beaten path I found it to be hard going.

It's nothing like taking my road bike out. I was 10 km/h slower than on the roads. 30 mins on the mountain bike felt like 30 mins hard running. If I'm going to be doing that a few nights a week I don't need to worry about losing my fitness levels.

It lashed rain so I was soaked through and covered in mud by the end, it was good fun though. I decided to tackle what looked like a small enough puddle. It was only about 10' long but the bike sunk until it was almost half way up the wheels. I sat spinning and was lucky to get through it at all. The back wheel was spinning on the leaves on hills and the wooden bridge too.

I prefer running buy I'll enjoy cycling in the woods for a few weeks.

Think of it as a good interval session!

The MTB is great fun this time of year, muck and sh1te just adds to the craic. Try it in the dark with lights for a bigger thrill.

It'll be dark on Mondays and Thursdays spins, I got batteries for the lights on it but I may need to invest in a better front light.

I stopped on the way home and went for a 6.5k spin on the Mountain bike. It was an interesting experience going around the woods with only my fairly poor light showing the way. It was a good enough workout, my legs were definitely tired by then end. passing the Brothers Graves seemed to give me a little boost of pace for some reason.

I didn't really go off the track, it was WAY too dark for weaving in and out amongst the trees. Getting a small branch stuck in the spokes at the edge of the track convinced me of that. I got soaked again but I enjoyed it. I could really feel it in my calves when I was stretching, I found that unusual, cycling doesn't normally effect my calves.

I need to learn how to stretch properly, I only spend about a minute at it, I do my calves, hamstrings and what ever those muscles at the front software your upper legs are called. I'll ask the physio on Thursday and see if she can show me some more.

Tomorrow is a rest day followed by my 1st swimming lesson on Wednesday. I'm both dreading and looking forward to it.

First swimming lesson done, I absolutely loved it. I did about a dozen half lengths or so. I can't do the breathing yet but I"ll get there. we spent the last 5-10 mins swimming on our backs, now that's easy. I did about 4 more half lengths at it. I'm confident that I could do a few lengths on my back already.

All in I did about 200m, my legs are tired now. It'll take a little getting used to.

Well done on the swimming, it's the main thing in life that I'm so sorry I never learned as a child.

Just back from the physio, the news wasn't great but not terrible either.

I have some ligament damage in my ankle but nothing serious. She did dry needling on it and that found the right spot.

She said there's 2 muscles in your calf and I have a bit of a tear in the smaller one.

My shoulder isn't actually a shoulder problem at all, it's tendinitis of/from my bicep.

No running until after Christmas, I can cycle but nothing serious and don't put pressure on the ankle by standing up or putting much weight on it. I'm allowed to go for walks but no longer than about 5k. Swimming is strongly encouraged.

I've been given exercises to strengthen my ankle, we went through stretches for when I'm running again and what I have to do on the foam roller too. All in all it went well, I'm back next week for another session. I'd imagine I'll be going until Christmas. I really liked the needle thing.

I went for a quick swim today, well actually it was a very slow swim but it went well. I did a full length of the pool for the first time ever. That went alright so I did another 3, it was on my back but it still counts. I did half lengths and widths for the rest of the time because I can't breath while doing the breast stroke, I kept at it for about 40 mins then hit the sauna.

I'm doing the ankle exercises so hopefully I'll see some improvement in that department and be up and running again shortly.

• Advertisement

I went for a 25 min walk around town on the way home from work as per the physios orders. It's not the same as running but it's good to get out and about.

My ankle is sore enough today, I know the exercises I'm doing will strengthen it but for now they're leaving it a little sore.

My second swimming class was tonight, I made very little progress, it was very frustrating. Still, it's all part of my rehab and it's keeping me fit.

Just back from the physio and it was good-ish news.

She worked on my calf, there's still a slight tear but it's well on the way to being healed.

She worked on my achilles and lower calf on the left leg more so than the ankle. She said to keep doing the exercises for a few weeks and we'll see how it is then.

My shoulder will take a while to heal, I'm not allowed to start any strengthening exercises with it yet.

The new plan is to go for short walks 3 days a week, about 2-3k to start and then getting gradually longer. No 5k walks for probably 3 weeks. I'm basically starting from scratch as regards running. It'll be early next year before I'll be allowed to go for even a light jog. It'll be Feb before I run 5k again and probably late Feb before I try going at any kind of pace.

Saturday 22nd

2.6k walk - 26 mins.

Monday 24th

3.2k walk - 36 mins.

Wednesday 26th

Swimming lesson - 1hr.

The ankle is coming along nicely but there's still the odd random twinge. My calf feels good but it's felt good before until I did a run or two on it. I'll carry on with my slow walks, gradually building up distance.

I got set up on Strava today and it has a handy enough way of seeing PBs. My shorter ones are all set as part of longer runs so are poor enough.

400m - 88 sec
    1 mile - 6:48
    5k - 22:00
    10k - 52:13

I have no idea what time I should be aiming for at 400m consider I'm 37 and still pretty much a beginner but I reckon I'll try getting it to 70sec and see after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

RonanP77 wrote: »

I got set up on Strava today and it has a handy enough way of seeing PBs. My shorter ones are all set as part of longer runs so are poor enough.

400m - 88 sec
    1 mile - 6:48
    5k - 22:00
    10k - 52:13

I have no idea what time I should be aiming for at 400m consider I'm 37 and still pretty much a beginner but I reckon I'll try getting it to 70sec and see after that.

If you want to know then you need to (once fit again) head to a track, do your warm up, and then run just one 400m flat out, then warm down and leave. It's the only way you'll know. Doing a load of reps and counting your fastest as your 400m PB doesn't really tell much, nor do splits as part of longer runs.

Age makes no difference when starting off, so nip those excuses in the bud, as I notice some people play the M40 card a bit too much. Age will determine how fast you can eventually become alright, but starting off there is so much scope for improvement that you shouldn't even be thinking about this.

Are you considering trying the 400m?

Yeah I'll try the 400 and see how I get on, I'll give it a proper go, the way you described. I'll do the same for the mile and try to shift those extra 48 seconds.

Thursday 27th 3.3k walk, 28 mins.

It was a lovely calm evening, very enjoyable walk around the town lake and out the new footpath as far as the forest entrance. I'm keeping to this route for my midweek walks for the next few weeks. I have a new short term plan for recovery, lasting 3-4 weeks.

Monday - 3.3k walk.
    Tuesday - Rest.
    Wednesday - Swim.
    Thursday - 3.3k walk.
    Friday - Rest.
    Saturday - 3.65k walk.
    Sunday - Rest.

I'll either increase the distances slightly over the holidays or switch to walk-jog-walk. That'll last another 3 weeks or so, then I'll see the physio again before stepping it up any further.

Saturday 29th November.

3.65k walk 29 mins.

It was nice to even walk the short loop of the lake again. It's the loop I started running on and it's what I'll be running on again in the new year before I start building up my distances. No reacttion from the ankle and my calf felt good too. My legs were a little stiff but I'm putting that down to an inactive October.

Sunday 30th November.

12.2k cycle 39 mins.

I had to get out of the house today, studying was driving me crazy so I needed a break to clear my head. I decided a short cycle around the block would do the trick. The trouble is, I live outside and above the countries highest town so as soon as I leave the house I have hills to deal with in every direction. It felt good to be back on the road bike again after a long layoff, I didn't push it - the Physio warned me not to. My ankle is a little tender or stiff after the hills but doesn't feel too bad.

Despite being injured and not being allowed to run, November has been my most active month since June, not in terms of mileage but in terms of days I've managed to get out and do something (14), December should be something similar. It's a nice mix of activities this month too, with swimming, Mountain biking as well as normal cycling and plenty of walking. I did my 1st ever Parkrun on the 1st of the month too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mountsky

Great workout op.Had a serious one myself earlier,got five miles done in 1.5hours,happy enough with the time as lately it was slippi g just a small bit

• Advertisement

Monday 1st December;

3.2k walk - 37 mins.

I've been doing my strengthening exercises a couple of times a day and this morning I noticed the ankle is feeling a lot stronger. Nowhere near ready to run on but to actually see/feel real progress is good.

Last month was a very active one and I intend doing about the same this month.

It's odd, earlier in the year progress meant knocking 10 sec/km off my PB or finally crossing 100km on a cycle. Now it means my ankle doesn't wobble when I stand on one foot :-/

Advertisement