Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A journey from fat(ish) to fit.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Wednesday 3rd December

Swimming lesson 1 hour.

It went really well tonight, I got moved up to the deep end for the last while. My ankle is sore after it though, I wasn't expecting that. No lessons now for about 5 weeks but I'll pop in a few times over the holidays so I don't get rusty.

Thursday 4th December

3.3k walk 29 mins.

Another short walk, I might step the distance up slightly next week. My ankle feels perfect, it feels like I could run on it now. I'm still going to wait 2 weeks or so before even doing short jogs as part of my walks. I really want to get it right this time.

Saturday 6th December

4k (ish) walk 37 minutes

Strava messed up so I don't know exact distance or time.

Sunday 7th December

6.1k 23 mins

Took the Mountain bike out for a farewell spin on an old flooded road near my house. It was windy and slow tough going. When I got to the old road itself it was good fun. Lots of swerving and bumping before struggling through the flooded stretch. I'll be testing the hybrid on it next month, probably a little slower though.

Monday 8th December

3.7k walk 35 mins.

It was a nice enough walk, very cold though, there was still snow on the ground from last night. I decided to step things up a little this week and added about 10% to the distance. If this week goes well, and there's no real reason why it shouldn't, I'll add about the same again next week.
    The following week I'll add a few short jogging sections. Possibly about 100 steps 3 or 4 times on each walk for a while. I'm not really sure, I've never been in this situation before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

You are showing good patience and the body will reward you once you get into your stride again.
    How was the mountain bike? Do you have shocks on it?
    I see a lot of trails being developed around the country geared towards biking. It would be good fun I would imagine.

• Advertisement

No shocks on the mountain bike, it's very basic model. It involved a lot of swerving around stones and potholes, it was good fun. There's shocks on the new hybrid so it should be fine on the trails too. It's no fun going uphill but it's good going back down.

Tuesday 9th December

1.7k walk

A short walk to test out my expensive (€5) new headlamp, very happy with its performance.

Wednesday 10th December

Swim 300m-ish

Lessons are over until Jan 7th, I signed up for the next round of them tonight. I'm going to keep going once or twice a week between now and then. I'm getting a little better but still can't get the breathing. I didn't even try tonight, chickened out every time. Other than that it went well and I had fun, I even got showing another bloke a few things to help him along.

That's 8 active days so far this month, hopefully I can keep that going.

I am learning to swim as well. I am in a 25m pool. After about a year of lessons I am getting there. It takes perserverance and at least 2 sessions a week. I am still struggling with the breathing but am nearly able to do a full length. I can do a length with the backstroke and breaststroke and can thread the water for upto a minute. Keep at it. It is a great skill to have. I hope to get to the sea eventually. I also want to kayak safely and do other water sports without worrying about drowning.
    It is also great for recovery sessions after hard runs with the option of a few minutes in the sauna to ease out the muscles.

I love kayaking and it would be nice not to be so nervous in the middle of a lake.

I must start going to the sauna or steam room after swimming, I never really bothered with them before. If they'll ease out my muscles I definitely need it.

Thursday 11th December.

Rest.

Friday 12th December.

Rest.

Today is a rest day anyway but I skipped last night's walk because my ankle is a little tender again.

I'm not on my own job this week, I'm on my feet all day and constantly up and down the steep metal stairs between the floors. They're very hard on the legs at the best of times and I'm really starting to feel it. I'll do my planned walk tomorrow, I should be fine by then.

• Advertisement

No walk today, I'm seriously pi**ed off. I got up this morning and my ankle feels worse than it has in ages. All the patience seems to have been wasted, I've been really careful not to run but what I do at work puts me back to square 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

i do be on my feet for a good bit of da day also. not up stairs but do u think a change of footware would make any difference?

Well I have to wear steel toed work boots at work, can't change that I"m afraid. To get to the top floor I would've had to go up 6 flights of steps, I was up and down ladders all week too. That has to be what caused it.

I'll swim tomorrow, that shouldn't be hard on me if I take it easy.

Sunday 14th December

Swim - 40 mins - 320m

I've decided to change things up thus week and have 3 rest days because my ankle is still bugging me. It'll be a short slow walk Tuesday and Friday, swimming on Wednesday and Sunday. I was hoping to step it up this week but that's going to need to wait a while now. I might call back to the physio or even the doctor if I don't see an improvement soon, maybe I need an X-ray. I'm staying positive though, I'll be back running eventually, it's just a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Sunday 14th December

Swim - 40 mins - 320m

I've decided to change things up thus week and have 3 rest days because my ankle is still bugging me. It'll be a short slow walk Tuesday and Friday, swimming on Wednesday and Sunday. I was hoping to step it up this week but that's going to need to wait a while now. I might call back to the physio or even the doctor if I don't see an improvement soon, maybe I need an X-ray. I'm staying positive though, I'll be back running eventually, it's just a matter of time.
    So frustrating, I feel for you!
    Hope it gets sorted soon

Tuesday 16th December

1.7k walk, short and slow, no bad reaction from the ankle.

Wednesday 17th December

320m swim, I still can't get the breathing but I managed a full length of the pool without taking a breath. The rest of the time I had to stop half way for a breath before pushing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Tuesday 16th December

1.7k walk, short and slow, no bad reaction from the ankle.

Wednesday 17th December

320m swim, I still can't get the breathing but I managed a full length of the pool without taking a breath. The rest of the time I had to stop half way for a breath before pushing on.

You have to get the breathing, going a length without breathing isn't really the answer :D. Are you doing lessons - 1 to 1 or a group? A couple of 1-to-1 lessons might be no harm? Once you can breathe you won't look back, imagine trying to run 200m holding your breathe - insane huh?!

I would make this a focus, especially now while you're injured, it's a great time to work on form and other technical aspects of whatever sport you can do. Get them right so that when you're able again you can focus on building up fitness for speed/endurance.

What length is the pool?
    I have done a couple of full 25m lengths lately, with difficulty. I have gone back to breathing on one side, every 2 strokes. I was trying to breathe bilaterally, every 3 strokes but I was gasping for air and hyperventilating. I am going to stick to every 2 strokes and gradually build it up. The breathing is key. I do find the swimming can leave me a bit tired for the running especially when you have to kick a lot.
    Can you thread the water?

It's a small pool, just 20m, I know good breathing is key to running and even more so in swimming. I have a mental block, I'm not even trying to do the breathing. It'll come with practice once I'm more confident in the water.

I've been taking group lessons, I took 4 so far, they start back again just after the holidays. There are only 4 in the group, 2 of us are more advanced than the others and he spends a lot of time with us while he has them doing the basics.

I went for a very short slow walk with my daughter on Tuesday, it was my only activity of the holidays. I'm half a stone heavier and no closer to running. Ah well, it can only get better from here.

• Advertisement

Sunday 4/1/15

2.8 k walk - 30 mins.

No trouble with my ankle

I felt good this morning, back to where I was 4 or 5 weeks ago, the plan was to swim Wednesday and walk again Sunday, do 2 weeks of that and then step it up again.

About 11 o'clock I was going down the stairs at work for about the 10th time today and something cracked/popped/snapped in there again and I'm back to square 1 again. I'm seeing the doctor at 3 o'clock and I'm going to ask for an X-ray or a scan to see what the hell is going on. I'm sick of it at this stage. I should be running 40k a week by now and I can't walk 2k.

Sorry to hear you're in bother again. Push for an MRI of the ankle/calf. Good luck.

Ok, the doc says I tore my lateral ankle ligament and that there's some tissue missing from under the ankle bone. I'm getting an MRI scan to see what sort of damage there is. I can swim but no running.

He says I have hyper flexibility and that makes me more prone to injuries. He's getting me tested for arthritis and similar things that affect the joints too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Hope you get good news from scan. Hang in there.

Sounds like you've a good doctor. Hope the scan apt comes around quick. Enjoy the swimming in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Sounds like you're going to have to crack the breathing now :) It'll pay off...I was talking to an athlete who won a county masters XC, they had been off with numerous injuries but maintained fitness in the pool...

I got a call this evening, I'm going for my scan next Monday. It's great to be getting it so quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Yikes ronan so sorry to hear things have taken such a turn. Good luck with the mri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Tough break Ronan - hope you get things sorted and are back on the road soon.

• Advertisement

Great you're getting the scan so quick. Let us know how you get on.

But can i just 2nd Dubgal's post - you may as well crack the breathing while you're injured, ya won't be able to really build up stamina in the pool til you do!!! I'm half-way through a pregnancy, still running, but already plotting some swim sessions when i get to the stage where i can't run, i'm kind of looking forward too it, it'll be nice to have a change from plodding the streets feeling like a beached whale ;)

Advertisement