Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Neighbours

Options
  • 17-05-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,

I'm driven demented with my new neighbours. They are fine during the week but at weekends it's just constant party! The lad(s) that live there tend to shout at each other rather than talk. The hallway stinks of cigs and other substances. I've got onto my management co. They said they'd write a letter. No improvement. They said next time to call the guards but suggested that on a sat night they would be too busy to come. The apt was recently purchased but man co say it's being rented privately. I'm actually scared of the tenants they seem like they are totally out of it & aggressive. Management co make me feel like I'm being a nuisance and suggested soundproofing my apartment, why should I have to though, not had issues before with previous tenants. Would drop a note in their letterbox but I'm worried they know it's me. I'm a girl and live alone so could do without them potentially taking issue with me if the way they shout at their mates is anything to go by. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Are you an owner or a tenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Faders

athtrasna wrote: »
    Are you an owner or a tenant?

I'm an owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Then you need to be strong with the management company, they are failing in their duty to ensure that all units are complying with development rules by the sounds of it.

In the meantime keep a diary of dates and times of the incidents, this will prove valuable in building a case

athtrasna wrote: »
    Then you need to be strong with the management company, they are failing in their duty to ensure that all units are complying with development rules by the sounds of it.

In the meantime keep a diary of dates and times of the incidents, this will prove valuable in building a case

Thank you. I will do. I'll get onto them again. The last time they said all they could do was write to them & the owner( all they have is an address for her) checked PRTB & it's listed as being rented so assume (maybe incorrectly) it's not rented to her son/relation.

I just don't want them to think I'm being unreasonable as it's generally fri/sat night. But I work some weekends. Sometimes I have to stay at a friends on the weekend if I'm in work. They are also prone to slamming their front door and having full blown loud conversations in the hallway, waiting for the lift, just outside my door!
    Perhaps if I tell them next year management fees will be paid minus the nights I'm forced to stay elsewhere will force them into action!

Thanks again

Mr.S wrote: »
    wait, you haven't acutally said anything to them in person?

Surly that would be the first port of call rather then going to the management company first, who will just send them off a standard noise complaint letter (ie nothing will happen).

Hey, no I've not. As I mentioned above I'm actually a bit scared of them. Listening to the way they go on I actually feel a bit threatened by them. I know it sounds silly, but I'm on my own and have a suspicion if i said something I'd be told where to go! Just feeling a bit vulnerable in this situation.

Totally get what you are saying though. Thank you!

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    I don't mean banging down their door at 2am on Saturday night, but deff let them know somehow, either in person at a normal hour or via letter under their door.

Chances are, since they are new to the apartment they are just chancing to see what they can get away with, let them know that they're being loud at the weekends and to keep it down (in a nice way obviously!).

I'm assured they got a letter from mgmt co. Week after they had another party. Their 'guests' were ringing my buzzer all hours of the morning. Might pop a letter in their post box too somehow doubt it will make a difference.

Today there is dog poo rubbed into the carpet outside their door. They don't appear to have any regard for the property / co habitants.

Thanks for your suggestion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

You might want to tell the management co to tell the landlord about this case http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/landlord-fined-30k-for-tenants-actions-217217.html

A landlord has been ordered to pay almost €30,000 in damages after his tenants subjected neighbours to serious antisocial behaviour.

The award, one of the highest of its kind by the Private Residential Tenancies Board, has serious implications for landlords.

It has been hailed as a significant victory for the residents of Lower Bishopscourt in Cork’s western suburbs. Lord Mayor John Buttimer (FG), who supported the residents, described it as a “gamechanger”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

There are "House Rules" which occupiers are obliged to obey and usually there is a time set for loud music etc.to stop. The Management Company should do their job, contact both the tenants and owner and request that the situation change. If there is no improvement then the matter of talking the landlord to PRTB should be seriously considered. It should not be the responsibility of individual owners to enforce the rules. Calling the Gardai is of no use as this is a civil matter as the nuisance is occurring on private property. All they can do is to make a request. They have no further power

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    There are "House Rules" which occupiers are obliged to obey and usually there is a time set for loud music etc.to stop. The Management Company should do their job, contact both the tenants and owner and request that the situation change. If there is no improvement then the matter of talking the landlord to PRTB should be seriously considered. It should not be the responsibility of individual owners to enforce the rules. Calling the Gardai is of no use as this is a civil matter as the nuisance is occurring on private property. All they can do is to make a request. They have no further power

Thank you! I'm going to monitor the situation and am making notes of incidents. Which is basically every wend. Will get onto management co and consider PRTB if no improvement in the next few weeks. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭hellyeah

hi op. i too live in an apartment and have had problems with my neighbour.
    I confronted them regarding music playing etc and thankfully that stopped, but they still have people round up talking all night and at 3am everything comes through the walls and ceiling. Slamming doors shouting etc.
    I got some disposable ear plugs and though they took a bit of getting used to
    i wear them ever night and thankfully my sleep has not been disturbed.
    I was at my witsend and i too live alone.
    I would be horrified to think i was making noise at night and keeping someone from sleep, but i guess it is how you are brought up.
    All the best with your situation.
    Ps if you are confronting your neighbour maybe a friend could go with you for support etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

hellyeah wrote: »
    Ps if you are confronting your neighbour maybe a friend could go with you for support etc

For support and also as a witness. Preferably a tall, broad-shouldered male.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Do you have the owner's phone number? If so, do what I did. After the first time I rang the next day and very nicely told the landlord to sort it, that as a matter of courtesy I waited until the next day but the next time it happens I would be ringing at the time. The next time it happened, and I was woken at 3am, the owner was woken at 3am. You should not have to deal with the tenants directly. Make it the landlord's problem and it shouldn't last long.

Thanks all for your help. Am monitoring the situation & taking note of noises so I have a few occasions to complain about. Thanks again :)

Advertisement