Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmower very difficult to start when its warmed up

• 17-05-2014 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hope someone can help me with this.
    I have a Snapper 675 190cc push/self propelled lawnmower, Briggs and Stratton engine, 2/3 years old, just been serviced. The problem is when I start up the mower at first from cold it starts no bother but as I have a lot of lawn I have to stop it alot of times to empty the bag, and when I try to start it again it is incredibly difficult to get it started, I may have to pull the cord 20 or more times to start it or go away and leave it for a while and then try again later. This is leaving the job of mowing the lawn very tough and takes a long time to do. Any idea what could be wrong with it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

is the blade/feed clogged? Spark plug damp?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭acon2119

No blade definitely not clogged. I thought getting it serviced would sort out the problem but no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

I had a similar problem with our Viking self drive mower and it turned out to be the automatic choke. It was stuck on and left it very hard to start. I free'd up the mechanisim with 3 in 1 oil on the choke pivot.
    If you're not sure bring it to someone who deals with them regularly. Thats your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

The 675 is a ready start engine some of these had an issue with the spark plug cap, also if the plug is replaced with a Chinese plug they can cause issue.

when you say "issue with the spark plug cap", is this an issue that can be sorted out and if yes, How?
    thanks

• Advertisement

If it has a metal plug cap take it off the plug hold the ht lead in one hand and pull the cap in the other, the cap should come off leaving a metal clip on the ht lead bend this with a pliers and put it back on the plug. That solves a lot of the hot restart issues.

I had a similar problem with our Viking self drive mower and it turned out to be the automatic choke. It was stuck on and left it very hard to start. I free'd up the mechanisim with 3 in 1 oil on the choke pivot.
    If you're not sure bring it to someone who deals with them regularly. Thats your best bet.

I will look into this. Thank you

"If it has a metal plug cap take it off the plug hold the ht lead in one hand and pull the cap in the other, the cap should come off leaving a metal clip on the ht lead bend this with a pliers and put it back on the plug. That solves a lot of the hot restart issues. "

I will see about this Thanks for the help

The choke does stick on then too but that causes cold start issues not hot restart issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

I have the same thing happening so I don't use the collecter, I just let the grass blow out the side. Mine has been that way since brand new so I don't think it's a maintenance issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Tie a rag round the dead mans handle then the engine won't cut out, just make sure all children are inside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

If it is the electronic ignition/coil you should have a 5 year warranty on it or at least B&S used to give 5 years warranty on the ignition coil.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Tie a rag round the dead mans handle then the engine won't cut out, just make sure all children are inside!

Yeah if I don't get it sorted I'll have to do this, it's killing me

Phil_Lives wrote: »
    If it is the electronic ignition/coil you should have a 5 year warranty on it or at least B&S used to give 5 years warranty on the ignition coil.

Can this cause the problem of not starting when warm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

acon2119 wrote: »
    Can this cause the problem of not starting when warm
    yes, potentially although not definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Phil_Lives wrote: »

I had a Hayter with a B & S 675 engine - starting it when hot was a nightmare. Brought it back to the dealer - he changed the coil on the spot and that sorted it out. He knew straight away what the problem was - B & S, he explained, used Chinese made coils for a period of time and they were useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

acon2119 wrote: »
    Hope someone can help me with this.
    I have a Snapper 675 190cc push/self propelled lawnmower, Briggs and Stratton engine, 2/3 years old, just been serviced. The problem is when I start up the mower at first from cold it starts no bother but as I have a lot of lawn I have to stop it alot of times to empty the bag, and when I try to start it again it is incredibly difficult to get it started, I may have to pull the cord 20 or more times to start it or go away and leave it for a while and then try again later. This is leaving the job of mowing the lawn very tough and takes a long time to do. Any idea what could be wrong with it?

It is probably your heat sensor for the automatic choke. It is positioned behind the exhaust. We have had a couple of these give bother, it is just a matter of replacing it...not a big job.

It is probably your heat sensor for the automatic choke. It is positioned behind the exhaust. We have had a couple of these give bother, it is just a matter of replacing it...not a big job.

Usually when they give bother they just won't keep the choke off flooding an engine on a hot restart, they engine wouldn't start at all if this happens as the more you pull the worse it gets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

Finnt wrote: »
    Usually when they give bother they just won't keep the choke off flooding an engine on a hot restart, they engine wouldn't start at all if this happens as the more you pull the worse it gets

Yes that is the usual problem, however having sold a lot of these Snapper mowers in the past in my experience the OP's symptoms suggest the heat sensor being the issue.

Haven't sold any of the snappers, see them come and go for service tho, the 675 is fitted to a lot of different mowers. I'd see it mostly on toro's rovers and some of the Vikings, I never had a warranty issue with the thermostat. I did get an email from one supplier who reckoned they had sorted out all the 675 problems by wrapping the manifold in tinfoil!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 e30 bmw

the early 675 engine has a part in the carb like a thermostat ....... if its an early 675 motor i can probably guarantee you that this is the problem

Advertisement