Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepay Power

Options
  • 17-05-2014 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Sales lady called to the door several times and I sent her packing, but she sweet talked the missus one day when I was out, you know you women get what you want when you want. I said no way I'll pull it off the wall remembering our flat days looking for change for the meter etc. But my boy and a chippy mate convinced me it's a good thing. We are now more aware of wasteful usage ie used to get up in the morning turn on the bedroom tv, turn on the kitchen tv, turn on the front room tv, full kettle, blah, blah. Not any more, 50 yoyos lasts almost three weeks now. It's a bloody great yoke. I really do recommend you try it out and bury that middle class social stigma s***e that may prevent you doing so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Why didnt you just get a prepay meter from any of the other suppliers with cheaper unit prices and no extra charge for having the meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Sales lady called to the door several times and I sent her packing, but she sweet talked the missus one day when I was out, you know you women get what you want when you want. I said no way I'll pull it off the wall remembering our flat days looking for change for the meter etc. But my boy and a chippy mate convinced me it's a good thing. We are now more aware of wasteful usage ie used to get up in the morning turn on the bedroom tv, turn on the kitchen tv, turn on the front room tv, full kettle, blah, blah. Not any more, 50 yoyos lasts almost three weeks now. It's a bloody great yoke. I really do recommend you try it out and bury that middle class social stigma s***e that may prevent you doing so.

Do you have a code so you get the commission??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Codswollop. They are money eaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 richieflyer

dobman88 wrote: »
    Do you have a code so you get the commission??

nice one, should have approached them first for a 10% cut.

Colser wrote: »
    Why didnt you just get a prepay meter from any of the other suppliers with cheaper unit prices and no extra charge for having the meter?

not my call the missus rules the nest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Someone please hurry up and post that bull **** pic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

7483f80f1b552b9a6d601b2a6f13d10d22d1177d0bc48f5852452605ccaea556.jpg

Codswollop. They are money eaters.

codswollop, is a marble in the neck stopping you enjoying a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Does the meter take shill ings?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

It's like living in the stone ages. My parents worse memory of living in London 40 years ago was having a meter in their flat. If people want to okay with slum living go for it.

• Advertisement

Electric Ireland will install a meter and will not charge you €13/month for the privilage, They will also allow you go onto cheaper rates for your electricity.

Prepay power use the dearest rate and charge a 2nd "standing charge" of €13 a month. How can that be cheaper electricity??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

We had Pre pay power in our 2 bed apartment, and it was working out nearly twice as much. Do you know they charge a tenner a month rental charge?
    We are back paying a bill now and it's cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I have a pre-pay meter and I am under no illusion that it's more expensive but I still prefer it.

I had a large bill about a year ago that I couldn't pay and things were getting on top of me so Bord Gais installed a meter for me.

I find it much more manageable now. I top up with €20 every week-they take €5 to pay off the bill so I'm left with €15-and it lasts me a week.

I prefer to do it this way 'cos I'm in control and I am much more aware of things being left on standby or plugged in.
    Like I said, it probably is costing me more in the long-run but it's better, for me anyway, rather than face a big bill every two months.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Does the meter take schill ings?

god no they would cost too much

fussyonion wrote: »
    I have a pre-pay meter and I am under no illusion that it's more expensive but I still prefer it.

I had a large bill about a year ago that I couldn't pay and things were getting on top of me so Bord Gais installed a meter for me.

I find it much more manageable now. I top up with €20 every week-they take €5 to pay off the bill so I'm left with €15-and it lasts me a week.

I prefer to do it this way 'cos I'm in control and I am much more aware of things being left on standby or plugged in.
    Like I said, it probably is costing me more in the long-run but it's better, for me anyway, rather than face a big bill every two months.
    So you are not paying rental/fees of €13 every month for the meter.

So you are not paying rental/fees of €13 every month for the meter.

There's a daily charge of 25cent as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

AVOID AT ALL COSTS LITERALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i'm sorry I joined them,now I am stuck with them as the E.S.B wont take me back unless I clear the bill I owe them!airtricity are a rip off also! :mad:

Afaik that is the standing charge.

http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/help-and-questions/home/gas/pay-as-you-go-meter/#question5
    What Tariffs are available with the Pay As You Go Meter?

We have two tariffs for customers using Pay As You Go Meters.

The Standard Prepay Tariff is made of up of two elements. There is a daily standing charge and a single unit rate per kWh of gas used.

The Repayment Tariff is for customers who have agreed to repay a debt through their prepayment meter. This tariff will take a percentage of the credit purchased toward the debt and put the balance towards the daily standing charge and unit rate per kWh of gas used. A proportion of the credit purchased will ALWAYS be left for gas.

The Standard Prepay Tariff is the same as our Standard Tariff. You are not charged anything additional for having a Pay As You Go Meter.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they'd suit everyone.

I know some people won't like it because they'd feel they'd be keeping tabs on how much electricity they're using, but for us it's not a hassle and we always turned off things and unplugged things anyway, so it's nothing new to us.

It suits us anyway :)

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they'd suit everyone.

I know some people won't like it because they'd feel they'd be keeping tabs on how much electricity they're using, but for us it's not a hassle and we always turned off things and unplugged things anyway, so it's nothing new to us.

It suits us anyway :)
    You are safe enough with Bord Gais.
    The whole issue is that companies like prepay power would be charging you an extra 38cent per day on top of what you are paying now, that is €136.71 a year.

They also want to trick people into thinking they are part of Electric Ireland if their heading on google search is anything to go by.

307456.jpeg

• Advertisement

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    AVOID AT ALL COSTS LITERALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i'm sorry I joined them,now I am stuck with them as the E.S.B wont take me back unless I clear the bill I owe them!airtricity are a rip off also! :mad:

I agree Airtricity are a really awful lot. Sent a guy in to cut my company off even though they (Airtricity) had real time information that the bill had been paid. As You Guessed jobsworth got his marching orders. Avoid them at all costs. But the 'Prepay Power' company are sound as far as I can tell for now with no problems to date. Caveat emptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There's a daily charge of 25cent as far as I know.

The tariffs they use is electric Ireland's standard tariff.

No one should pay a standard tariff. Sign up to a provider get your discount, let it expire them move provider.

The bottom line is the AUP is far higher than standard methods

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/prepay-electricity-users-fork-out-extra-137-a-year-29279402.html

Our last house had prepay power and the cost was ridiculous. Moved two months back and back to the bill and our monthly cost has halved even though we're using the immersion every couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,892 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Make the same adjustments to your usage and you save far more with a normal supplier. Becoming less wasteful does not require moving to the dearest supplier by far to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

You are safe enough with Bord Gais.
    The whole issue is that companies like prepay power would be charging you an extra 38cent per day on top of what you are paying now, that is €136.71 a year.

They also want to trick people into thinking they are part of Electric Ireland if their heading on google search is anything to go by.

307456.jpeg

I fail to see how that implies that they are a part of Electric Ireland and thereby fooling customers into thinking same. All of the literature I've read up on suggests that they want to be known for being completely different to Electric Ireland.

I'm on Prepay with Electric Ireland myself and tbh, I think it's brilliant. I lost my job and my family 3 yrs ago and wasn't able to pay the bill for a long time. The constant living in fear of being cut off has been completely alleviated and I rarely spend over €20 a week on my electricity without ever worrying what's switched on or off for the most part.

Definitely wouldn't go near Prepay Power for the prepay charge that they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Electric Ireland will install a meter and will not charge you €13/month for the privilage, They will also allow you go onto cheaper rates for your electricity.

Prepay power use the dearest rate and charge a 2nd "standing charge" of €13 a month. How can that be cheaper electricity??

Electric Ireland were the cheapest supplier in Northern Ireland until this month with no standing charge and a nice discount for using the meter.
    Hopefully meter prices will start to fall in the south too.

Advertisement