Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stove Insert Question .

• 17-05-2014 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi All,

Thinking about putting a insert stove into my mother's house and dunno really too much about them, At the moment she just has a normal open fire with a backboiler which was added only around 15 years ago, this heats the rads and boilertank, this is the only heating source in the house so you can picture how much coal my mother burns a week.

Was wondering could we keep the back boiler in place and just get a insert something like this and fit it?

http://www.adverts.ie/other-furniture/inset-stove/5505053

Any advice regarding this would be great.

Regards

Darragh
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

DaraDali wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thinking about putting a insert stove into my mother's house and dunno really too much about them, At the moment she just has a normal open fire with a backboiler which was added only around 15 years ago, this heats the rads and boilertank, this is the only heating source in the house so you can picture how much coal my mother burns a week.

Was wondering could we keep the back boiler in place and just get a insert something like this and fit it?

Regards

Darragh

The stove you linked to is a stove so it won't work with an existing back boiler your looking for a fire front
    Google boru Doras it will do the job nicely
    Cost around €400

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Thanks for the reply will def check them out :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

DaraDali wrote: »
    Hi All,

Regards

Darragh

Hi,
    With the current set up fitting a non-boiler stove in front of the existing back boiler wont work. You have two options; Fitting a Fire Door or Installing a Boiler Stove (replacing the back boiler).

The Firedoor is a handy job. Will increase the efficiency of the fire from around 20% up to a maximum of 40%. Relatively cheep and quick to install. Should get one new from €350 and professionally fitted for around €100.

However, if your budget will allow, replacing the back boiler with a boiler stove is a better job. Will give you an efficiency of c75%. Because you have the back boiler there it should be a relavely straight forward install (cut out back boiler and use existing pipework, a plumber will need to inpect to confirm).

Food for thought anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Thanks again for the Replies, I will price around replacing the back boiler with a stove, but wouldn't this require a flue to be placed up the chimney?

My top budget would be in around 1000 might change this as this is the only fuel and heat source in my mothers house , also have 4 normal rads and 1 double so would I be thinking 6kw?

• Advertisement
Advertisement