Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So the lawnmower has decided not to start for me

• 17-05-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

I have a ride-on mower that has a 13hp b&s engine in it, today I was cutting the lawn for about 30 mins and decided I wanted to go to the toilet, I turned of the mower and when doing so I heard a pop as it shut down.
    I didn't think much about it at the time but when I went to turn it on again it wouldn't start for me, the engine will turn for no bother but it just won't start.
    I checked the air filter and it seems fine, checked the carb and it looked clean, checked the spark plug and it was dark and sooty but I cleaned it up and put it back in but no joy.
    I have noticed before that it struggles to start up again when I try to start it up again when the engine is warm.
    What do ye reckon, spark plug? how can I check if the spark plug is working. Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dighire4u

How long is the spark plug in the lawn mower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Dighire4u wrote: »
    How long is the spark plug in the lawn mower.
    Not sure can't really remember , I think about 2"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

:D I'd say Benny meant how many years is the spark plug in the mower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I could be wrong, but I'd say the question was probably related to time!! :D:D

Anyway, did you check to see if you have a spark at the plug? (Touch the metal base of the plug off the cylinder head, while turning the engine. Be careful to avoid electric shock!)

Is there petrol in the tank?

Did it start later when cold? If yes, then it's possible that the carburettor needs resetting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Ha silly me, the plug is in it about 2 years. And no it won't start again and yes there is petrol in it. Its still turning but no ignition

• Advertisement
Advertisement