Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The institute of education

• 17-05-2014 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I really want to go to The Institute of Education for fifth & sixth year. I'm currently in fifth year but I feel like my first four years of school weren't great and telling by my junior very results, I need to repeat a year. I need four honor level grade C's (or higher) to get into the institute and I simply don't have them. I got 3 higher level B's and four ordinary level B's & C's. My mocks were probably worse, I need a copy of them as well.
    Although, I switched school for fifth year and considerably, I have turned it around. I have four school reports with C's & B's & A's & good comments from teachers but I still don't think it's enough. Although, I'm thinking they might see that I have turned it around & I've already done fifth year so I'll be ahead for the first year at The Institute.
    I'm hard working (or so have been after the JC) and I want to do well in my leaving cert and turn it around.
    I did my JC at a public school and I don't want to be offensive because I know a lot of good public schools but the teaching wasn't good & class was constantly interrupted by people who weren't bothered. They didn't encourage us to learn and my poor grades were the norm to be honest.
    Moving to a private school, for fifth year, I've turned it all around.
    I have heard The Institute is a business and they take anyone with money but I'm still not sure, I think they might see me as someone who wants to get in there on daddy's money & laze around.
    Any thoughts would really help because my interview is in June & I'm really worried!

I forgot to say, if anyone is repeating or in the same boat as me (in terms of low grades) please PM me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

I'd recommend Ashfield over the Institute - there are some even repeating in Ashfield from attending the Institute or have left 5th year to attend 6th. They have a reputation for 100% third level progress & very high results.

Institute's classes are huge and you simply won't perform well as you would in a smaller class, unless you're intellectually gifted and will pull out great results regardless. The notes are perfect, most if not all teachers are current/past SEC examiners and you have a wide array of subjects to choose from. If you want 100 people in your Chemistry or English class (insert subject) then so be it.

Ashfield is fee paying, around the same mark as the Institute but you'll get more out of it definitely. You have a choice to head into 6th (all courses are done in one year), or 5th, but I'd recommend heading into 6th and repeating if necessary than wasting time in 5th again (regardless of where you decide to go). If you want more information, let me know.. it's no secret of who I am an advocate (;

• Registered Users Posts: 7 OllyAlfie

Exo wrote: »
    I'd recommend Ashfield over the Institute - there are some even repeating in Ashfield from attending the Institute or have left 5th year to attend 6th. They have a reputation for 100% third level progress & very high results.

Institute's classes are huge and you simply won't perform well as you would in a smaller class, unless you're intellectually gifted and will pull out great results regardless. The notes are perfect, most if not all teachers are current/past SEC examiners and you have a wide array of subjects to choose from. If you want 100 people in your Chemistry or English class (insert subject) then so be it.

Ashfield is fee paying, around the same mark as the Institute but you'll get more out of it definitely. You have a choice to head into 6th (all courses are done in one year), or 5th, but I'd recommend heading into 6th and repeating if necessary than wasting time in 5th again (regardless of where you decide to go). If you want more information, let me know.. it's no secret of who I am an advocate (;

Thank you for the advice & I will consider it. I don't know much about Ashfield to be honest. I will research it but I have heard it is a great place.

I think I'm going to stick with the institute (if I have a hope of getting in) because it's been recommended to me a few times and I have heard a lot of great things about it.

When you have over a thousand students under one building, versus a mere 150 (at most, if not less), you're bound to receive more recommendations. The greatness is padded by the numbers! Don't underestimate Ashfield, I'll leave you to it.

When you have over a thousand students under one building, versus a mere 150 (at most, if not less), you're bound to receive more recommendations. The greatness is padded by the numbers! Don't underestimate Ashfield, I'll leave you to it.

I will look into it, the institute is just one that I have had in mind for quite a while.

Back to the topic of this thread:

Do I have a hope of getting in? ^^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

OllyAlfie wrote: »

Yes. I don't see why you wouldn't unless I'm missing something....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you can pay they will let you in. It's a business.
    Don't think that just by going there your marks will get any better. You're already improving and doing the work.

spurious wrote: »
    Don't think that just by going there your marks will get any better. You're already improving and doing the work.

Tailored notes and numerous dedicated study periods (between classes) can make a huge difference, which you don't get from a state school.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Yes. I don't see why you wouldn't unless I'm missing something....

My JC results are ****. I don't even have four honor level C's.
    spurious wrote: »

I'm improving but not enough. The institute program seems like it will suit me. I also need to repeat a year.
    Thanks for the reassurance though :) I was real worried
    Tailored notes and numerous dedicated study periods (between classes) can make a huge difference, which you don't get from a state school.

I'm already in a private school which is a good school. But I think the institue will help me a lot.

Thanks all for your comments, I was worried about this.
    Also, I'm not going to try to get into Ashfield, I honestly think that The Institute is my best choice.

You know what they say, ignorance is bliss :rolleyes:. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

You know what they say, ignorance is bliss :rolleyes:. Best of luck.

:rolleyes: thanks

Also, anyone who has been to the institute, do you have any tips for the interview/year(if I get in)? That would be really helpful thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Also, anyone who has been to the institute, do you have any tips for the interview/year(if I get in)? That would be really helpful thanks

Man, you're completely inflating the importance of the "interview". I've never heard of anyone being rejected, and there is no way that you would be because of poor results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

Has this not become such an obvious exercise in promoting the Institute - it's getting a bit tiresome

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

lostatsea wrote: »
    Has this not become such an obvious exercise in promoting the Institute - it's getting a bit tiresome

I'm just getting tired in general of people going off to private schools for the last year of two. It's hypocritical I know but I have much more time for people who have been going to private schools from the get go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

Shill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Judging by the info in the first post, I can't see you having much difficulty. As pointed out, the Institute is a business and they're not likely to turn away a paying customer unless you deliberately set out to convince them that you're more trouble than you're worth.
    lostatsea wrote: »
    Maybe, but quite possibly not.

Any road, I think it's a case of "asked and answered" at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement