Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Security Card

Options
  • 17-05-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im just about to embark on my second J1 and have a bit of a problem. I have lost my social security card and cant find it. I have a scan of it on my laptop so I was wondering would this be alright to produce to the company I'm working for. It was the same company I worked with two years ago too.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If it's the same company, they probably already have your personel details already on file under your SSN number. That is how everyone from the US government to companies, keep track of people in the States. As long as you know the SSN number itself, that is probably all you need to start working for the company again.

Some companies ask non American employees to produce the actual SSN card, to prove that they are not using a stolen or bogus SSN. That probably won't happen in your case, seeing as you already worked for this company in the past. But it can't hurt to have the actual card in your possession in case you are asked to produce it. Only the company itself can tell you whether or not they will need to see the actual card.

When you get to the US, contact your local Social Security Administration Dept and have them send you out a replacement card. Keep it in a safe place and don't lose it. They treat SSN cards very seriously over there, due to high instances of identity theft that are linked to stolen SSN's. There is a finite number of replacement cards that they will send you, before they cut you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I lost mine many years ago, but also have it on my computer. I sent it via email to my HR department and they were fine with that.

You can get a new card issued, but I've never bothered. I know the old one is still around the house somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

No problem at all, as long as you remember the number you are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭sdowling04

Thanks for the help guys! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭McSween

I have scanned mine also but I should really get my one laminated. I was surprised when I received it that it was paper. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

McSween wrote: »
    I have scanned mine also but I should really get my one laminated. I was surprised when I received it that it was paper. :)

I am not sure you are allowed to laminate it....

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

McSween wrote: »

I got mine in 1985 when I was here on a J-1 visa. It went thru the wash at least twice that summer, and looked very faded and beat up after a while.

From an official government site -

Q. Is a laminated Social Security card valid?
    A. It depends. If the card states on the back “not valid if laminated,” then the laminated Social Security card is not valid. The Social Security Administration (SSA) advises cardholders not to laminate Social Security cards. Metal or plastic reproductions of Social Security cards are not acceptable for Form I-9 purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭sdowling04

Found the card in the end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

after ALL that...... :rolleyes:

:p

Advertisement