Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP link extender

Options
  • 17-05-2014 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

I use a TP link extender to extend the wireless signal in the house.

To be honest its pretty poor, it works only sporadically and this makes it pretty frustrating. When its working it's 100% fine, but sometimes simply won't work

Anything I can do to improve it? Or any superior system? Ethernet not an option, too far to drag the cable

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

If you have a second wireless router lying around you could use it as a wireless access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

Hi mate,
    i presume you followed this kind of guide setting it up.

If dhcp is turned on, it can cause conflicts such as disconnects and so on.
    Try moving the range extender closer to the router.

another option is too use a power line ethernet extender

i have used a power line recently to boost there wifi around there house.(One major thing to watch out is that it has to be on the same ring main. ie fuse board.)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

degsie wrote: »
    If you have a second wireless router lying around you could use it as a wireless access point.

If I had a 2nd router would I need another phone line to plug it into?
    Lundar. wrote: »
    Hi mate,
    i presume you followed this kind of guide setting it up.

If dhcp is turned on, it can cause conflicts such as disconnects and so on.
    Try moving the range extender closer to the router.

another option is too use a power line ethernet extender

i have used a power line recently to boost there wifi around there house.(One major thing to watch out is that it has to be on the same ring main. ie fuse board.)

Yes I used that video. I don't know about dhcp or how to adjust it. I might try moving the range extender closer, bit scared it might go a bit mad on me again though. I presume the product you linked is just a better version of what I have?

On another note, in the room where the internet was always strong, it sometimes does not work at all now with the range extender, which is pretty annoying because internet was always fine in this room (beside the router)

Hi headpig,

it was just quick search on amazon (not a recommendation), it was late for me when I replied, the product I mentioned uses your electrical wiring in your house, instead of running a cat5 Ethernet cable to share internet and network around a house (not as fast as Ethernet, but plenty fast enough) it also rebroadcasts your WiFi as well, can be less troublesome than extending WiFi. House where I live tend to have thick walls, so WiFi is troubleshoot at best.

if you can provide us with the model number that would be a great help.

• Advertisement

Hi headpig,

it was just quick search on amazon (not a recommendation), it was late for me when I replied, the product I mentioned uses your electrical wiring in your house, instead of running a cat5 Ethernet cable to share internet and network around a house (not as fast as Ethernet, but plenty fast enough) it also rebroadcasts your WiFi as well, can be less troublesome than extending WiFi. House where I live tend to have thick walls, so WiFi is troubleshoot at best.

if you can provide us with the model number that would be a great help.

Thanks for response. That might be an option if the TP-link extender doesn't work out. The model number of the tp link extender? TL-WA850RE.

HeadPig wrote: »
    Thanks for response. That might be an option if the TP-link extender doesn't work out. The model number of the tp link extender? TL-WA850RE.

That's perfect mate,

Changing the default channel on the wifi router can help. the defaults are 1,6,7,11 anything else can help.

if you have a android phone, you can use wifi analyser
    Turns your android phone into a Wi-Fi analyzer!!
    Shows the Wi-Fi channels around you. Helps you to find a less crowded channel for your wireless router.

Have you updated the firmware on the tp-link, There was a lot of threads about performance and connections dropouts that the updated firmware fixed.

That's perfect mate,

Changing the default channel on the wifi router can help. the defaults are 1,6,7,11 anything else can help.

if you have a android phone, you can use wifi analyser

Have you updated the firmware on the tp-link, There was a lot of threads about performance and connections dropouts that the updated firmware fixed.

That wi-fi analyser thing is pretty cool!

I tried to update firmware there but it wouldn't work, think it was that I have a v1 and those links are for v1.2

Advertisement