Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for mild Spanish onions

Options
  • 18-05-2014 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

Where can I get a mild Spanish onion?

I bought the large onions from Tesco recently (said on the label FROM SPAIN) but when I tasted it, it was strong.

Yesterday I bought a GIANT Spanish onion from my local fruit and veg shop but again, it was really strong.

I'm after the really mild onions...you get them in your salad in Spain and they're so nice, but I'm not having much luck finding the same here.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Would shallots work better for stuff like that?

also your username is very apt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hah I am a fussy onion!
    Shallots are fine but it's just that I loved eating the Spanish mild onions in my salad on holiday and as I eat a lot of salad, I'd like to include them as they're so mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'd wager it's because those large spanish onions are not native to here and have to be shipped in, so therefor are older and hence stronger in flavour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I find the Supervalu ones quite mild, might be worth a try.

Personally I prefer them strong though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just soak the onion after slicing in cold water for at least 10 minutes.
    It's probably what they do in the places you had them in Spain.
    IMO raw unsoaked should never see a salad.
    Lemon juice also takes the sting out of onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What 'the beer revolu' said (3 times:)) ... soak them to remove some of the strong flavour. Another idea is to sprinkle salt over the thinly sliced onions and leave for an hour or so. The salt will draw out a lot of liquid which you can drain off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Lidl usually have a 3pack of mild Spanish onions in the veg section,I find them mild enough. Also,,the soaking works.

Just soak the onion after slicing in cold water for at least 10 minutes.
    It's probably what they do in the places you had them in Spain.
    IMO raw unsoaked should never see a salad.
    Lemon juice also takes the sting out of onions.

Microwave for a few seconds does the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

I think that I saw some in a Polo shop last week

( Polo as in chain of shops selling eastern European food and nothing to do with GeeGees / Ralph Lauren etc etc ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

I would assume that all onions for sale now are from last year's crop and so are older and stronger by now, while all the mild ones are this year's crop and still in the ground, even in gloriously sunny Spain. The soaking should work nicely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

The ones in Lidl are very mild.

I also find the little bag of onions from Tesco (they're 99c I think) to be quite mild once I've soaked them cos I would use them in guacamole and the harsh onion taste absolutely ruins everything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I find spring onions (sometimes called salad onions) give that nice oniony bite without being overpowering. Most supermarkets seem to have cheap bundles of them these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

stevenmu wrote: »
    I find spring onions (sometimes called salad onions) give that nice oniony bite without being overpowering. Most supermarkets seem to have cheap bundles of them these days.

I use scallions all the time but it's just I was after the big mild onions cos they were lovely when I had them on holiday.

I'm going to try the soaking idea, so thanks for your help everyone :)

Advertisement