Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 more days

• 18-05-2014 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭

So there is only about 2 weeks left until the Leaving Cert and I haven't done any study this year (except flipping through my books just before my mocks). I just find it impossible to pick up a book at home and study, does anyone have any suggestions how to overcome this laziness.

The thing is that I only got about 400 points in the mocks and I need over 500 for my first choice. Would you say that its possible to go up by 100 points if I stay home and study for the last week?

I would also love if you could recommend a good memorization technique. Some people say that flashcards work, but to me they seem intellectually uncreative and incredibly boring.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Write lots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Mario95 wrote: »
    So there is only about 2 weeks left until the Leaving Cert and I haven't done any study this year (except flipping through my books just before my mocks). I just find it impossible to pick up a book at home and study, does anyone have any suggestions how to overcome this laziness.

The thing is that I only got about 400 points in the mocks and I need over 500 for my first choice. Would you say that its possible to go up by 100 points if I stay home and study for the last week?

I would also love if you could recommend a good memorization technique. Some people say that flashcards work, but to me they seem intellectually uncreative and incredibly boring.

Nobody said they were creative and exciting! :rolleyes: Over the next two weeks odd, you just have to jam information into your head using whatever means possible. Flashcards are incredibly useful, especially for definitions and things that have to be rote-learned.

I don't want to sound harsh, but in reality I'd say it's extremely unlikely. You've left it ridiculously late to do any study so unless you're very lucky and get exams that suit you or if you somehow manage to study effectively for 12 hours a day for the next 2 weeks I'd say you won't go up 100 points.

Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

Hotale.com wrote: »
    I don't want to sound harsh, but in reality I'd say it's extremely unlikely. You've left it ridiculously late to do any study so unless you're very lucky and get exams that suit you or if you somehow manage to study effectively for 12 hours a day for the next 2 weeks I'd say you won't go up 100 points.

Sorry.

You are probably right. I forgot to add that I am perfectly fine with Maths and Physics (got As in my mocks) so it leaves me with only 4 subjects to focus on.
    I will see if I can take some days off school next week to study at home.

Anyway, thanks for your honest opinion.

You are probably right. I forgot to add that I am perfectly fine with Maths and Physics (got As in my mocks) so it leaves me with only 4 subjects to focus on.
    I will see if I can take some days off school next week to study.

Anyway, thanks for your honest opinion.

Good luck with it though! Don't give up just because I told you it'll be tough, if you work your ass off you can do it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

It's very achievable, people differ greatly - in their information retention and study techniques. Some do well by simply rereading information, while others need physical stimulants such as writing down notes. Some can achieve more cramming in 1-2 weeks, than others can in 1-2 years (even if you don't remember it after, but who cares at that stage!)

Practice every past paper you can, the more familiar you are with the exam, the better you will answer questions in the Leaving Cert. Also take into account that the first exam begins in 17 days, but for example my last exam is in 31 days. There is still time, stay home and study from dawn till dusk. You'll be surprised what you can achieve.. 4-5 week sacrifice will make all the difference. This is just my opinion, see what you can make of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Look, there's so many different variables that have to be taken into account, but you seem bright if you got 400 without working too hard. ONE MONTH OF MISERY FOR A GREAT FUTURE. Just live a miserable life for this month. Run yourself into the ground. It will all be over very soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Work really hard and you never know! Keep focused on your target. If you're A standard in Maths you have the ability to do well in most subjects. The fact that it's so close means you might retain stuff and not forget it... best of luck to you anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

You're not alone if studying bores the crap out of you. What you have to do for the last two weeks is just grin and bear it. Two weeks of "suffering" now and you won't be thinking of what you could have achieved if you'd tried. It could also affect you for the next four ears if you don't end up doing something you like.

So, just persevere through it now, and these two weeks could make all the difference. You've got the ability if you got an A in maths, so if you actually apply yourself a small bit you could pull something out of the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

woah woah woah, your telling me that you got 400 points in your mock without studying? Look man, if you put in any effort studying in the next two weeks (Lets say 4 hours ish a day) you should have no problem getting the points you need. One of my friends last year got 140 in his mocks, didn't study at all untill the last two weeks and he jumped up to 340 points, and he was only doing two hours a night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Lovebeat

I'm in the same situation as you..
    But at least you got around 400 in ur mocks.. I didn't touch a book for my mocks and got 320.
    I've been studying as much as I can.
    From 10am - 5pm
    Then from 6pm - 11pm
    And of course I can't go to school as it wastes more than half of my day.
    But when I do go to school I try to study 6pm - 11pm.
    But I seriously have the attention span of a fish, it is so hard for me to study but I do want good grades.
    Guess at this point just give it your 100% and at least you know you put all ur effort in!

Also I believe we can get a lot done in 16 days.. Don't lose hope!!!

Advertisement