Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puzzled

Options
  • 18-05-2014 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Dunno if anyone has an opinion on this, house is built 18 years, about a month ago the heating would run for an hour or so and then the switch on the board would trip out. My electrician called checked boiler house, connections etc, found nothing, suggested giving it a week or so to see if issue continued. Back a week later as problem still there and replaced Rcb ?? said that was prob the issue, worked ok for one night and back to same old problem. the oil heating and immersion are run through this, immersion was not on when we had issues, the circulating pump is ok and the boxes outside are dry. can anyone suggest any theories that I can put to him!!!:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I would hazzard a wild guess here and say it is your circulating pump, your old rcd was tripping for a reason and did your electrician really think by fitting a new one it would solve the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

I would hazzard a wild guess here and say it is your circulating pump, your old rcd was tripping for a reason and did your electrician really think by fitting a new one it would solve the problem?
    Thanks but is it possible that the pump would seem to operate ok and after an hour go belly up??. I switched on the heating now and it tripped straight away.

mikehn wrote: »
    Thanks but is it possible that the pump would seem to operate ok and after an hour go belly up??. I switched on the heating now and it tripped straight away.

Anything is possible, you know yourself that the heating system is causing the rcd to trip and when the heating is off all is ok, I get these calls alot of where the last electrician changed the rcd or mcb and all was grand for a day or a week and its tripping again.
    The rcd that was taken out was not faulty, there is a part of your heating system that is, a circulating pump is a common culprit but dont get someone to replace it unless they test it to make sure its ok because otherwise you be back to square one and out of pocket more, the problem could be lying elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

First thing that should have been done was a separate dedicated breaker for the heating anyway, along with the above checks. Probably not great having it on the immersion circuit.

Circulating pump is a good place to look as said.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Had a similar issue the other week. Turned out to be a motorised valve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

jeepers101 wrote: »
    Had a similar issue the other week. Turned out to be a motorised valve.

Yea there is a fair few things that can cause it, not always faulty items either.

My electrician will be with me about two tomorrow, he rang the wife while I was out, he mentioned that he would have to check a couple of junction boxes in the garage. I am getting a bit concerned as he asked me about these last time and these are on a different circuit.!! I think that I will have him put the immersion on a different rcb but I am seriously confused about his approach to the problem.

Is he putting back the rcd that was not faulty for you tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Your choice of phrasing is unfortunate. Can you clarify if it is the MCB or RCD or RCBO that's tripping. If it's an RCD then the junction boxes might well share a common one with the immersion.

MCB and when it trips the junction box in the garage still carries current to the sockets so I fail to see why he feels that he should look at these. He did not turn up today rang the wife to say that he was held up on a job. If he does not come up with anything when he does arrive I was considering getting him to swap over a pump from our back boiler which was never used. I checked it tonight and its spinning away ok. I was also thinking about getting him to put a seperate mcb on the board for the shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

MCB and when it trips the junction box in the garage still carries current to the sockets so I fail to see why he feels that he should look at these. He did not turn up today rang the wife to say that he was held up on a job. If he does not come up with anything when he does arrive I was considering getting him to swap over a pump from our back boiler which was never used. I checked it tonight and its spinning away ok. I was also thinking about getting him to put a seperate mcb on the board for the shower.

you don't need to swop over pumps

they are simple to IR test

If he does not come up with anything when he does arrive I was considering getting him to swap over a pump from our back boiler which was never used. I checked it tonight and its spinning away ok. I was also thinking about getting him to put a seperate mcb on the board for the shower.

Get him to rewire the whole house altogether, why would you go taking a pump out of service if its not the fault as tom dempsey said they are very easy test.

Advertisement