Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received significant gas bill for period after vacating previous rental

Options
  • 18-05-2014 8:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

We moved out of previous apartment at the start of November. I closed the electricity account but was advised by the provider not to close the gas account in order to avoid disconnection charges. I gave the meter reading and left it in credit of about ten euro. The letting agent said that the accounts were dealt with.

Now I am being sent large bills for usage after we left, which indicate nobody took ownership of the account until the middle of March. I've provided copies of the bills to the letting agent who just said it is nothing to do with them. I have also contacted the landlord directly, who said he would look into it, but I got the strong impression he will refuse to do anything about it.

I will contact the landlord again today to see what the position is. I think he will refuse to do anything about it. I need to see what action to take in that case. I know I will need to contact Threshold and the PRTB. I know from looking it up that our tenancy was not registered and the current one is also unregistered.

I also need to decide whether to pay the bill and look to recoup it, or to refuse to pay the bill and look for the landlord or new tenant to take responsibility. My circumstances at the moment are stretched. I have received a legal demand regarding the bill. I have informed the provider of the reason why I have not paid it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

We moved out of previous apartment at the start of November. I closed the electricity account but was advised by the provider not to close the gas account in order to avoid disconnection charges. I gave the meter reading and left it in credit of about ten euro. The letting agent said that the accounts were dealt with.

Now I am being sent large bills for usage after we left, which indicate nobody took ownership of the account until the middle of March. I've provided copies of the bills to the letting agent who just said it is nothing to do with them. I have also contacted the landlord directly, who said he would look into it, but I got the strong impression he will refuse to do anything about it.

I will contact the landlord again today to see what the position is. I think he will refuse to do anything about it. I need to see what action to take in that case. I know I will need to contact Threshold and the PRTB. I know from looking it up that our tenancy was not registered and the current one is also unregistered.

I also need to decide whether to pay the bill and look to recoup it, or to refuse to pay the bill and look for the landlord or new tenant to take responsibility. My circumstances at the moment are stretched. I have received a legal demand regarding the bill. I have informed the provider of the reason why I have not paid it.

Thanks

Nothing to do with a new tenant unless they lived there for the time of the bill

First thing first have you now cancelled the account now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

They did live there for the time of the bill.
    The account was taken over from I think the middle of March by the new tenant. I'd been told by the letting agent before this that the account had already been sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

They did live there for the time of the bill.
    The account was taken over from I think the middle of March by the new tenant. I'd been told by the letting agent before this that the account had already been sorted out.

If I were you if call the gas company and confirm myself just to be sure.

Also next time ask to put it in the Landords name. If the gas company refuse just cancel it and let the landlord /new tennent deal with any reconnection fee

They said they would charge me with the reconnection fee if it wasn't taken over within 10 days and advised me to have the agent take over the account. They didn't tell me at the time that the new account holder would also be charged in that situation, though I found out later they would be.

I received a bill via email saying the account was closed some time in March. I know that there has been a new tenant there for several months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

They said they would charge me with the reconnection fee if it wasn't taken over within 10 days
    That doesn't sound right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

They said they would charge me with the reconnection fee if it wasn't taken over within 10 days and advised me to have the agent take over the account. They didn't tell me at the time that the new account holder would also be charged in that situation, though I found out later they would be.

What they've described is exactly the process for giving up a gas account. You transfer the account someone else and pay your last bill. They get a letter telling them to accept the transfer into their name. If they don't do it within ten days, the supply is switched off. Whenever someone gets around to registering a new account, they (not the old tenant) have to pay the reconnection costs. Your landlord should have known this.

Contractually you owe the money to gas company, they don't care about your dispute with the landlord. How did the bills find uou at your new address? The first thing to do is make sure is the account is taking out of your name asap. After that, if the landlord doesn't sort it out quickly, I'd lodge a complaint with the PRTB.

The account was removed from my name from March.
    How did the bills find uou at your new address?

The same provider is being used at the current address, which is where I received the legal demand. I received the bills electronically.

I will complain to the PRTB. I know that our tenancy was not registered with them and the current one is not either from checking online. I would imagine this will cause a delay in the complaint being resolved.

I emailed the letting agent indicating that I would be contacting the PRTB and investigating any other action available to me and asking him to inform the landlord of same, in the hope they pull in their horns and take responsibility. I don't think they will though.

If I don't pay in the meantime I am concerned my credit rating will be effected, or similar. Stretched thin financially as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

markpb wrote: »
    What they've described is exactly the process for giving up a gas account. You transfer the account someone else and pay your last bill. They get a letter telling them to accept the transfer into their name. If they don't do it within ten days, the supply is switched off. Whenever someone gets around to registering a new account, they (not the old tenant) have to pay the reconnection costs. Your landlord should have known this.

Contractually you owe the money to gas company, they don't care about your dispute with the landlord. How did the bills find uou at your new address? The first thing to do is make sure is the account is taking out of your name asap. After that, if the landlord doesn't sort it out quickly, I'd lodge a complaint with the PRTB.

Agreed the re connection fee will apply to the new customer.

Agreed the re connection fee will apply to the new customer.
    The provider told me I would be hit if it was disconnected. That's why I didn't just close the account - like I did with the electricity during the same phone call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The account was removed from my name from March.

The same provider is being used at the current address, which is where I received the legal demand. I received the bills electronically.

I will complain to the PRTB. I know that our tenancy was not registered with them and the current one is not either from checking online. I would imagine this will cause a delay in the complaint being resolved.

I emailed the letting agent indicating that I would be contacting the PRTB and investigating any other action available to me and asking him to inform the landlord of same, in the hope they pull in their horns and take responsibility. I don't think they will though.

If I don't pay in the meantime I am concerned my credit rating will be effected, or similar. Stretched thin financially as it is.

Is the account in your name? If not then when was it taken out of your name?

If the account was transferred to another person from mid March you don't owe anything from that date and the company are in breach of data protection regulations by allowing you access to billing details for a new customer at your previous address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

If you get the bills electronically, how come you didn't become aware that you were being billed for your previous apartment until March? Surely you should have received bills for that place before March?

Also, request the recordings of your conversation with the gas company under the data protection act, for proof.

If you get the bills electronically, how come you didn't become aware that you were being billed for your previous apartment until March? Surely you should have received bills for that place before March?

I received the bill on March 19 when the account was taken over. I rang the provider and explained the situation. They cancelled the direct debit at that time. I received a legal demand last week because it still hadn't been paid.
    Also, request the recordings of your conversation with the gas company under the data protection act, for proof.
    I'll ask, but I won't assume they still have recordings of a conversation in November.
    If the account was transferred to another person from mid March you don't owe anything from that date and the company are in breach of data protection regulations by allowing you access to billing details for a new customer at your previous address.

The period they are billing me for is November to March. I moved out at the start of November and left the account 11.75 in credit. I don't have access to anyone else's billing details.

Advertisement